What are the Essential Skills you need to have down before considering diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comfort in the water...a mindset that as long as I have gas I can sort it out. Then, be prepared for a gas issue. As important as the rest...good self-knowledge and diving within your skills and comfort level.

There really is not THAT much redundant crazy gear that you have to pack.

1. Redundant air - simple 40 bottle / doubles / sidemount - Pick one
2. Thigh pocket (SMB, Spool, mask, cutter, signal device)
3. Redundant computer / tables/timepiece / etc..

Done. I can safely dive in a solo fashion with that load out on a recreational dive. The equipment listed above is not obtrusive or cumbersome. Not to use it could lead to a bad day.

I’m doing solo next spring so I get better viz at the quarry (it’s really bad right now). I just want to be able to mooch around at the quarry if I can’t find a buddy or if I just want to practice some skills without a buddy getting bored.

Always two computers, one is AI and I have SPG as well. I always take a pony on deeper dives, so adding one all the time isn’t an issue, although I’d prefer my doubles to single tank, but I’d likely carry the pony (AL40) to just dive the same configuration all the time. Line cutter on computer strap shears at waist. Just need to add backup mask and practice the switcheroo.

petes right its not rocket science here , I get a kick from all the expert's posting on this subject (who arnt even solo certified ) I just graduated 2 solo instructors this summer , I make sure they are good instructors first understand the material and get it across effectively ........a good instructor can teach solo in a weekend or 2 , not a lot of extra gear and that gear crosses over onto other courses eg ice diver , so ask the questions of the instructor and if you don't like the answers go to someone else

There really is not THAT much redundant crazy gear that you have to pack.

1. Redundant air - simple 40 bottle / doubles / sidemount - Pick one
2. Thigh pocket (SMB, Spool, mask, cutter, signal device)
3. Redundant computer / tables/timepiece / etc..

Done. I can safely dive in a solo fashion with that load out on a recreational dive. The equipment listed above is not obtrusive or cumbersome. Not to use it could lead to a bad day.

I carry SMBs, spool, extra mask, cutter, several signaling devices, and two computers.

But I personally don’t see that it’s worth the considerable hassle to take redundant air for most recreational diving. You can’t fly with a pony, and diving with doubles is no minor inconvenience. And there is plenty of redundant air at the surface. For me, the main thing is to not get into situations that I couldn’t get out of in 5-10 minutes. I don’t think redundant air relieves you of that responsibility.

For me, the main thing is to not get into situations that I couldn’t get out of in 5-10 minutes. I don’t think redundant air relieves you of that responsibility.

Nice you can hold your breath for 5-10 min (sorry, couldn't resist :)). The redundant air isn't for if you run out of back gas, it's for if you have a gas related equipment failure. If you're only at a depth where you're comfortable doing a CESA, no skin of my nose. If you're going to be deeper than that, still no skin off my nose, but in that case it seems kinda risky for a hobby (IMHO) and I personally wouldn't promote the practice no matter the hassle of the extra equipment. All IMHO, YMMV. Safe diving. :)

I carry SMBs, spool, extra mask, cutter, several signaling devices, and two computers.

But I personally don’t see that it’s worth the considerable hassle to take redundant air for most recreational diving. You can’t fly with a pony, and diving with doubles is no minor inconvenience. And there is plenty of redundant air at the surface. For me, the main thing is to not get into situations that I couldn’t get out of in 5-10 minutes. I don’t think redundant air relieves you of that responsibility.

Redundant gas is the hallmark of SOLO diving. But, you do you. Live long and prosper.

Having dived solo since 1962, one of the most important things to consider IMHO is how one reacts to sudden changes/emergencies. If one panics, diving solo is probably not a good idea. If one faces them calmly and addresses the response, then that is a good sign.

Making sure one's gear is properly maintained is another good idea. Redundant air supply (and for me redundant dive computers), cutting tools, an SMB are all good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom