Considering buying a dry suit. What should I look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be sure, if you order a custom drysuit, that you actually get a custom drysuit. Contact the manufacturer to confirm that you actually got a custom-cut drysuit.

Years ago I bought a DUI custom-fit drysuit from my GUE instructor, who also owned dive shop in south Florida. I was close to a stock drysuit size, but I was willing to pay the extra cash for a custom-cut drysuit for that extra-perfect fit.

Many years later, I found out from DUI that my GUE instructor had ordered a stock drysuit from DUI. The GUE instructor charged me for a custom-fit premium drysuit, and he pocketed the $1,200 difference.

If you want to know the name of the GUE instructor and the dive shop, send me a message.

Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new as a diver, and have done almost all of my diving in relatively warm waters (Thailand, Maldives, Saipan), though I did have a few cold water experiences (Bonne Terre Missouri, Busan South Korea). I want to be able to dive more in South Korea, but the water is generally cold, currents can be strong, and visibility can fluctuate wildly depending on the location and time of year. I have a 5mm/7mm wetsuit, but I think I reached the limits of my comfort with that (Bonne Terre was 15 degrees celsius), so I am interested in getting a dry suit.
So, the general consensus is to get a custom fit suit. I bought a custom fit suit from Ur dry suits. Other than trying it on at the shop to check the fit, its never been worn in the water. My plans changed and I didn't need it. I will give you at least 50% off. If you're interested PM me and I will email you my measurements for the suit and we can go from there.

Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new as a diver, and have done almost all of my diving in relatively warm waters (Thailand, Maldives, Saipan), though I did have a few cold water experiences (Bonne Terre Missouri, Busan South Korea). I want to be able to dive more in South Korea, but the water is generally cold, currents can be strong, and visibility can fluctuate wildly depending on the location and time of year. I have a 5mm/7mm wetsuit, but I think I reached the limits of my comfort with that (Bonne Terre was 15 degrees celsius), so I am interested in getting a dry suit. I have never used one before, and I am a bit tall so I've not had luck finding a place that could rent one for me. If I bought a dry suit, I would certainly receive training on the proper way to use it, so I am not worried about that. Instead, I want to know what specifically to look for in a good suit, and where I could save some money (I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, as I don't get many opportunities to dive per year). So here are my questions:

What are the absolutely most important things to consider when getting a dry suit? What options do you consider non-negotiable?
What are some bells and whistles I could forego?
What other gear pairs well with a dry suit? Are there any specific things I should/shouldn't get?
What are some good ways to ensure proper fit without the ability to try things on?
How should it be stored between dives (months between dives)?
Any specific recommendations?
Depending on your body type you may be able to go off the shelf. I didn’t fit the body type so I had to get mine made. Suggest you go to a large dive shop. I hope I am not breaking any rules I use Dive Right in Scuba outside of Chicago you can pay a service plan get free repairs and yearly check for life of suit. Either way go with a large shop that has multiple brands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom