Considering buying a dry suit. What should I look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshua.d.vise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new as a diver, and have done almost all of my diving in relatively warm waters (Thailand, Maldives, Saipan), though I did have a few cold water experiences (Bonne Terre Missouri, Busan South Korea). I want to be able to dive more in South Korea, but the water is generally cold, currents can be strong, and visibility can fluctuate wildly depending on the location and time of year. I have a 5mm/7mm wetsuit, but I think I reached the limits of my comfort with that (Bonne Terre was 15 degrees celsius), so I am interested in getting a dry suit. I have never used one before, and I am a bit tall so I've not had luck finding a place that could rent one for me. If I bought a dry suit, I would certainly receive training on the proper way to use it, so I am not worried about that. Instead, I want to know what specifically to look for in a good suit, and where I could save some money (I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, as I don't get many opportunities to dive per year). So here are my questions:

What are the absolutely most important things to consider when getting a dry suit? What options do you consider non-negotiable?
What are some bells and whistles I could forego?
What other gear pairs well with a dry suit? Are there any specific things I should/shouldn't get?
What are some good ways to ensure proper fit without the ability to try things on?
How should it be stored between dives (months between dives)?
Any specific recommendations?

Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new as a diver, and have done almost all of my diving in relatively warm waters (Thailand, Maldives, Saipan), though I did have a few cold water experiences (Bonne Terre Missouri, Busan South Korea). I want to be able to dive more in South Korea, but the water is generally cold, currents can be strong, and visibility can fluctuate wildly depending on the location and time of year. I have a 5mm/7mm wetsuit, but I think I reached the limits of my comfort with that (Bonne Terre was 15 degrees celsius), so I am interested in getting a dry suit. I have never used one before, and I am a bit tall so I've not had luck finding a place that could rent one for me. If I bought a dry suit, I would certainly receive training on the proper way to use it, so I am not worried about that. Instead, I want to know what specifically to look for in a good suit, and where I could save some money (I'd like to keep it relatively cheap, as I don't get many opportunities to dive per year). So here are my questions:

What are the absolutely most important things to consider when getting a dry suit? What options do you consider non-negotiable?
What other gear pairs well with a dry suit? Are there any specific things I should/shouldn't get?
What are some good ways to ensure proper fit without the ability to try things on?

99% of the time it needs to be a custom cut suit, most people don’t fit “off the shelf” suits.
Get user changeable wrist and neck seals, I like silicone seals. Get pockets. Storage should be detailed on the info book the manufacturer sends you.

I purchased a drysuit to do the types of dives (deep Great Lakes shipwrecks) where I needed one. I spent a lot of time talking to divers who had a lot of experience doing these types of dives. Their opinions (and Barsky's drysuit book) were indispensable for helping me choose.

ETA: Barsky, S., Long, D., and Stinton, B. (1992). Drysuit Diving: A Guide to Diving Dry. Watersport Publishing, Inc. San Diego.

rx7diver

I will also vote for made to measure. After having one I would never go back.
Skip the "cave cut" option, you are not doing caves, you need the space for undergarments to stay warm.
I would do dry glove option every time after having it (Kubi is my choice, get the size that fits your hands, can run wet hands if desired, easy install, quick change)
Pee valve for the win.
Add pockets.
User replaceable seals (Kubi attached to the suit automatically does that, so just add the neck).

Boots or socks is always a debate. I hate poor fitting attached boots, but love good fitting boots. I think most that hate them had poor fitting boots. I am not a fan of rock boots, too many layers of stuff between my feet and the fins. I understand they are better if you have long walks in the drysuit, I don't do long walks. Short shore walks and off a boat are good with my attached boots.

Hi everyone,

Fit! The absolutely most important thing to consider is Fit. There is nothing more important than this other than the bag actually keeping you dry...and this is enhanced by a good fit.

This is entirely personal preference. You can forego anything that that does not lend itself to fit and keeping you dry. That being said, I suggest looking at available options among drysuits and decide what features you want your drysuit to have. Things to consider:
Your budget
Front vs. rear entry
Type of seal material: latex/silicone/neoprene
Type of suit material: membrane/neoprene
User/Field replaceable vs non-replaceable seals
Boots: Attached vs Rock boots

Zipper material: brass/plastic
P-valve vs no P-valve
Dump valve location
Etc., etc., etc.

A good scotch in Glen Cairn nosing glass is a piece of gear that pairs well with almost everything, other than that, dry gloves pair excellently with a drysuit. There are wrist ring systems that facilitate pairing/integrating a set of drygloves. Thermal undergarments aso pair well too. Please refer to the Q&A above about bells and whistles to help determine things I should/shouldn't get.

1. Obtain a crystal ball, give it a good shake and peer long and deep into it until it reveals the future.
2. Purchase a made-to-measure suit with return shipping for alterations covered under the price/contract.
3. Take careful measurement of your body and compare as best as possible to manufacturer sizing charts, and do some research about the suit(s) in question to get other's opinions and experience regarding fit.

Other than that, there is no way to ensure proper fit with trying things on.

With the suit clean and dry and located in a cool dry place, out of direct sunlight, preferably away from ozone producing items, like A/C motors, that could degrade seals and other suit materials. Also note and follow any specific manufacturer recommendations for storage so as not invalidate the suit's warranty should a claim need to be made.

Do some personal research. Look at what is available on the market, both new and used, then search google, facebook groups, ScubaBoard, other internet forums, etc., for the specific products that pique your interest and collect information on them. Evaluate that info based on the other questions you asked and the answers provided, and then ask questions on the ScubaBoard in a separate thread(s) to fill in any gaps in the information already available.

There are 3 things that are absolute truths regarding purchasing one's first drysuit:
1. Fit is of utmost importance. If you do not accept that in all earnest, then you will learn that it is and suffer dissatisfaction and the desire to spend money on a replacement sooner than would otherwise be necessary.

2. Your level of knowledge about drysuits, what you want from one, what you don't, what is important, what isn't, etc., will grow immensely after you make your first purchase and start diving it. How content you are with your first purchase and how long before you feel compelled to purchase your 2nd drysuit will depend on how much research you put in before purchasing your first one, and how well that first suit fits.

3. Fit is of utmost importance...this can't be stressed enough.

-Z

I think the above posts have pretty much covered everything but the pros and cons of different kinds of neck seals (for wrist seals I think its kind of a no brainer go with a ring system). For me this was actually the most difficult choice to make. Literally went back and forth in my head a couple hundred times and read all kind of reviews online as well as got opinions for many different friends.

I was torn (no pun intended) between a silicon ring system like the si-tech system for easy seal replacement when you tear it, glued in silicon seal or a glued in neoprene neck seal. I probably spent a solid month or two debating over this. I mostly dive rebreathes that use standard back plates and for cave I dive an xdeep harness. I am a medium built person about 5'10" 180lbs with I guess average shoulders for my build and couple of my friends that have smaller builds (especially females with narrow shoulders) found the ring systems to be very annoying with sidemount harness. I too found that my sidemount harness straps kind of sit on the ring system. With a standard backplate the straps are wide enough that they just clear the ring so no issues but with the sidemount harness it can get a little funky. If you wiggle it around enough and kind of scrunch it together and up a little you can kind of find a happy medium but its not perfect. Also keep in mind I'm diving warm water with very minimal/thin undergarments' usually just Arcteryx or Patagonia ski base layers. Maybe with bulky padded insulation you would not notice this but I'm not wear that. In the end I went with a neoprene neck seal for comfort, yes its a trade off for quick functionality to replace a neck seal on the fly but how often do you really rip a neoprene neck seal.

If your a smaller framed person then I think for the comfort aspect this should also me one of your major considerations.

I would second a ring system for wrist seals. I have the quarter turn Si-Tech ones and like them and have not had any issues with them. My wife on the other hand does not like them because of the size of them, she can't get her hands around it to lock the glove in place. She got Kubi's on her new suit.

Get a suit for the coldest water you are going to be diving. I was living is the US south when I got my suit and it worked perfectly down there; however, since moving up closer to the Great Lakes the suit is a little small due to the thicker undergarments that I am wearing now.

If you order a MTM (made to measure) suit make sure the measurements are properly done. We are having issues right now with my wife's custom suit not fitting her. We talked to the rep and manufacture on how they wanted the measurements done and followed them to a t, and the suit does not remotely fit her properly. They also must be colorblind because they did not get the stitching correct either.

Having recently gone through the same process I would advise the following :

Made to measure is a must, otherwise the excess will make air pockets which will become a pain to manage. Where possible travel to the vendor to get measured, they will provide typical undergarments so that the measurements are made according to how you will actually dive and not based upon theoretical thicknesses.
Spend the extra money to get a good suit, my wife got a Neoprene, I got a tril-laminate, I don't think it matters too much which material but get a good quality suit from an established vendor. Don't cheap out if you can avoid it. Read the waranty, garauntee, what is coverd , what is not.

We got silicone wrist seals, I have already split two of them but they are very, very easy to replace yourself, so don't hesitate. ( THe dry glove system eliminates the need for wrist seals BUT I keep them on as a redundant seal. I don't have enough experience in relation to the neck seals, we got Latex and they are far stronger than silicone but I can't change them myself. When, and if, they break I will probably move over to silicone, even though it is fragile , especially when taking the suit off.. Don't be afraid to lube up on wrist seals with weak soap or talc...

Go with a dry glove system with seperate internal glove liners, cold hands because you skimped on this will make you regret spending on a dry suit. Dry suit cloves really make a huge difference.

P-Valve - Depends on how long you expect to dive for, less than an hour it's not required, more than an hour, definately have it added.

Get a least one thigh pocket.
Get appropriate undergear. This will make a HUGE difference too. Dry suits do not keep you warm, they keep you dry, the undergarments are necessary for ensuring some warmth.. ( Ok it's the air trapped amongst/around the undergarment but lets not get into that).

Get a really good hood.

Practice donning and doffing in your garage, home etc . It takes a couple of tries to getting used to the process, learn which ar, to use first.

Get a mimimum of training from a reputable source/experienced dry suit diver. There are some quirky elements that can become a serious problem when not handled correctly.

I would recommend a front entry system.

Don't forget to wax your zips...

Store your suit on an appropriate hanger, with the zip about 1/4 of the way closed.. This removes tension from the end of the zipper whilst allowing air to circulate.
Outside of buying a rebreather it will probably be the most expensive piece of equipment that you will buy, so take the time and buy the best that you can afford. A dry suit can easilly last 10 years or more with a minimum of maintenance.

Spend once, cry once.

Brass zippers have been around for a very long time and are very durable. Great for daily commercial use. But they don't like to bend. That is why the old school drysuits put them across the shoulder. That location isn't subject to harsh bends. But it takes some real tricks to put that on by yourself.

The modern recreational drysuit is a front zip. These are so much easier to get in and out of. But this area puts a lot more bends into the zipper. This is where a plastic zipper works great. They are much more capable of flexing without damage. I consider them great for the recreational diver.

A pee valve is mandatory.

I prefer a trilaminate suit. A trilaminate drysuit doesn't have depth-dependent bouyancy changes like a wetsuit. But a trimlaminate suit has no intrinsic insulation, either. You'll need an undergarment for warmth.

The 400gm Thinsulate undergarment is very bulky, try thick synthetic underwear first. If you're still not warm enough then try the 400gm Thinsulate.

Thigh pockets.

Hang the drysuit from the feet to drip dry, there's a special hangar for that.

Dry gloves are clumsy but you get used to them quickly.

K-Y jelly applied to the neck and wrist gaskets make it easier to get into the drysuit. Plus it's really fun buying giant bottles of K-Y at the pharmacy.

I've been diving off Soegwipo a few times, it's cold there! I tried diving in a 7mm wetsuit, but after that I brought my drysuit. Much better!

Seogwipo, Jeju-do, ROK
M0015534.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom