Considering buying a dry suit. What should I look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look for Seaskin, if you always dive with someone you can buy a ultra neoprene suit with no options (remember to deduct the 20% tax from the price) for less money than a wood quality wet suit you will have a fully functional dry suit, just plug in your measurements.

if you want front zip look at the Nova, it also requires no options to be a fully functional suit But costs about 20% more.

there are things I would add but nothing than can’t be added later as far as peevalves, seal systems etc.

this is the cheapest you’ll get into a well fitting dry suit.

Someone may have mentioned this, but before you get measured for a suit think about what dry glove ring system you want to use. I have the Waterproof Ultimas, and I really like them. However, the rings add a good 1.5"-2" to the sleeves. It's not really an issue once I put the gloves on and they push the sleeves back a bit, but it means that the rings hit me in the back of the hand when gearing up. In hindsight, I would've had the sleeves shortened a bit to accommodate the rings. If and when I need to send my suit in for service I'll see about having the sleeves shortened at that time. Until then, I just deal with it. But something to consider when buying a new custom suit.

Couple more thoughts to add to my post above:

1. I elected to order my custom suit (DUI CF200SP) with neoprene fold-under wrist and neck seals, and to wear cold-water mitts/gloves with liners (instead of dealing with dry gloves and ring systems). This is one of those decisions you will need to make when you're spec-ing your suit. Hopefully, the divers you chat with who do the types of cold water diving you're considering doing, will provide some guidance.

2. Missouri ground water averages about 55 F. So, I don't think that diving Bonne Terre Mine should be thought of as "cold water diving." A 0.25" thick (6.5 mm), high-quality, two-piece wetsuit *that fits well*, is really all the exposure wear that many (most?) people need for repetitive, recreational diving in 55 F water (if you can warm up during your surface interval). A custom, high-quality wetsuit is much less expensive and much less hassle diving, than a dry suit, IMHO. FWIW.

The coldest thing about diving Bonne Terre, IMHO, is that *crazy* long walk from the (surface) dressing rooms (where you've changed into your exposure suit) to the underground dock--especially if you're diving there in the winter, especially when you're returning to the dressing room in winter, in wet gear, after the dive!

rx7diver

Missouri ground water averages about 55 F....

And that's not cold water? LOL
If the combined air and water temps are not at least 130 degrees F, then it's COLD

We have a heated lake here in West Virginia, never got below 50 degrees F even in the dead of winter. I used to dive there a lot until the coal power plant closed the lake to diving.

Good fit is sometimes possible off the rack. All my measurement are pretty much in the middle of the range for Bare size Large Tall and it fits great. (Its's not the suit in my profile photo - that was an ill fitting rental)

If getting custom, get someone to help you with measurements and choose them wisely. I once had my wife help me with measurements for a winter parka and I when asked her to repeat them (measure twice cut once) they were all different by 2 to 6 inches - which was about 3 sizes worth for the parka in question!

Kubi rings
Sitech quick neck
Pee valve (cheaper from them and they install it) you don't have to use it, but it is there if you want to. Pee zippers (relief zipper) are not in any position to be easy or without pain to use.
Pockets
Custom color options so you're not one of the many emo black on black on black divers.

This is the least expensive custom made to measure dry suit on the web. High quality and inexpensive.

Try on a stock size. It just might fit you.

If it doesn’t, adding or subtracting from a stock size can help you avoid a nightmare suit that was measured improperly. You might need an inch added to the legs, or perhaps two added to the biceps measurement.

Front entry keeps the zipper from getting worn by your harness. You can also self-don and don’t need assistance.

Turbosoles (or whatever attached sole boot option is available) means one less piece of kit to forget.

Knee pads are great if you find yourself climbing in and out of sinkhole or shore entries.

A “cloverleaf” crotch of gives you added protection from a crotch strap. Absolutely needed if you plan on using a scooter.

Two Velcro-opening thigh pockets positioned on the outside of your legs, high enough so the bottom of the pocket can be reached by your fingertips.

P valve is a must. I prefer unbalanced. The balance chambers inevitably will leak, and that means peepee on your undergarment.

Store your suit on an appropriate hanger, with the zip about 1/4 of the way closed.. This removes tension from the end of the zipper whilst allowing air to circulate.
Most manufacturers recommend the zip fully closed.

Not sure you really need custom fit but if you buy your suit from a standard size you need to try it (with your undergarments) for sure. I bought mine from a store and it was not a custom size. After I tried several models I took a lady's model although I am a man as it fitted me best (I am short). I don't like p valve and as my dry suit dives are mostly around 1 hour at most (and in dry suit you don't feel the need to pee as often as in a wet suit) I almost never pee during a dive then I prefer the diaper solution. There are well done now and nobody realize you have one if you don't say anything. It is actually much more convenient than a p valve but it is something many people cannot accept.

Big pockets! The ones that came on my first DUI suit were pitiful. The Halcyon bellows pockets are great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom