Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The garage might not be the best place to store neoprene. Hydrocarbon fumes and ozone from motors are said to deteriorate neoprene. Also, I assume you try to not compress the suit by packing it under heavy stuff while travelling, etc. And you’re smart to stick with the name brands for quality neoprene. Some mail order or internet sources use neoprene that just doesn’t seem to hold up as long.

scubalaurel:
I would like to hear from the women out there, not men./QUOTE]

My above comments are not intended to be interpreted as gender specific.

knotical:
The garage might not be the best place to store neoprene. Hydrocarbon fumes and ozone from motors are said to deteriorate neoprene.

Yes, I agree, but my garage is used only for storage...lots of boxes and a car that is being rebuilt but has not actually been turned over in 3 1/2 years (since just after I started diving! :eek:

Come on ladies, what brands fit you?

scubalaurel:
Are you diving a 6 5 4 or a traditional seaquest? :06:

BTW, not to be sexist (ok, maybe a little) but I would like to hear from the women out there, not men. You guys just don't have the same suit problems!

I'm still a guy, but you asked. I dive the traditional 3mm jumpsuit. Only when I have to dive in water too warm for my drysuit (which I LOVE to dive). But I do manage to log quite a few dives per year in the few summer months that I must dive wet. And the occasional tropical trip.

My hood is a hyperstretch (Henderson) and it is as good as new after many many dives, most deeper than rec.

My traditional neoprene booties have lasted for over 15 years!

What I DO wear out, rather quickly, is gloves.

theskull

I'm a guy, but a few general thoughts on the subject.

I am tall and on the the thin side. I did not find off the rack suits to fit all that well. I had to try on more than several. I ended up with a Medium Tall 3mm and an XL for my 7/5mm. I almost went the "custom" route. Surprisingly, it's not that much more expensive when you're buying top shelf rubber. I don't like dry suits (yet).

A custom wetsuit may be an alternative solution path. :lightbulb

When I was looking for mine I asked everybody about there suits making mental notes on brands for both men and women. I dive with many women on the boats out here and they all have different suit brands.

Take a look at www.wetwear.com

Far and away, the best suits I have ever seen. "Herself" and I own three or four of varying thicknesses.

The secret is in the full arm and leg zips. In and out in seconds. No muss, no fuss.

Full boat custom. They send you the suit basted together for a look-see on how it fits you... before they do the final stitch up.

....and yes- there is often room left for expansion. You know, these things do shrink with age. It is a fact. :wink:

We also have suits from http://www.terrapin-wetsuits.com/minihood.htm
and they are a super choice for ladies... here is the page that talks about their "beanies"... can't be beat!

CUunderH2O:
Guess you didn't like my advice on the Pinnacle suits, although granted, not many shops carry them. Check them out at http://www.digitaligual.com/pinnacleaquatics

My 2 cents.

Thanks for the info. I looked at the website. One of the shops not too far from me sells them, so I'll go check them out this weekend.

L

scubalaurel:
Thanks for the info. I looked at the website. One of the shops not too far from me sells them, so I'll go check them out this weekend.

L

I have gone through many wetsuits over the years and Pinnacle makes a good one. I am thoroughly impressed with their suits and quality. I doubt I will look at any more suits. I have dived with Body Glove, Bare, Tilos, Henderson, Oceanic, and some generic brand and Pinnacle has been the best and warmest, I might add, yet.

Brian

ZenDiver:
I have gone through many wetsuits over the years and Pinnacle makes a good one. ...Pinnacle has been the best and warmest, I might add, yet.

Brian

How many dives before the pinnacle compresses?

scubalaurel:
Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum. Glad there is a place for this. I have been diving for a little over four years now. I have been diving in a 6 5 4 seaquest wetsuit, which I LOVE. :07: However, I have already gone through 4 of them. They fit perfectly, but compress within 50 dives and by the time I get to 100 or so in it, I am freezing after only 15-20 minutes. It's too esxpensive for my diving style.

Anyway, I ventured into the road of adventure and want to try a different brand. I tried a BARE and was hopeful that the variety of sizes would = a good fit. When I tried the one that corresponded to my measurements, it was way too big in the chest (which is shocking and surprising!).

Any advice for different brands of wetsuit? :06:

Hey there. I have a Neosport (made by Henderson I think) I like the fit up to my knees, but they are a tad long on me (I'm only 5'1"). However, I bought it last fall for a trip and still hadn't lost all of my "baby" weight at that time. I haven't tried it on again since I've lost another 10 lbs so I don't know if it will still fit as nicely as it did from the knees up. A lot of people complimented me on the look (hides postpartum belly really well!) but I have no idea how it will hold up after prolonged use. I got it for dirt cheap at leisurepro.com (the store is only 15 minutes from my house) so if it's a tad big I'll probably end up using it for pool use while I practice skills for my advanced cert.

I need some help in picking out a BC but I'll start another thread. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom