Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoCalAngel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum. Glad there is a place for this. I have been diving for a little over four years now. I have been diving in a 6 5 4 seaquest wetsuit, which I LOVE. :07: However, I have already gone through 4 of them. They fit perfectly, but compress within 50 dives and by the time I get to 100 or so in it, I am freezing after only 15-20 minutes. It's too esxpensive for my diving style.

Anyway, I ventured into the road of adventure and want to try a different brand. I tried a BARE and was hopeful that the variety of sizes would = a good fit. When I tried the one that corresponded to my measurements, it was way too big in the chest (which is shocking and surprising!).

Any advice for different brands of wetsuit? :06:

any thoughts on going to a dry suit? Yes expensive at first but if you've already paid for 4 wet suits... might be cost effective?

Just a thought

I had problems getting a wetsuit to fit when I was shopping around, as most of them were too small in the hips & too big in the chest. I found I couldn't fit into any of the farmer jane-type suits. My LDS owner took a lot of measurements and we determined that either a Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm or Pinnacle 7/5 fullsuit would fit me. I tried both on, both fit me well but I went with the Pinnacle (a bit cheaper than the Henderson, and didn't pill like the Hyperstretch). I am very satisfied with the fit, and I get lots of compliments on the suit besides. The internal wrist & ankle seals really keep the water in and definitely keep me warmer! The suit is very well made, better than most I've seen. FYI, I got a Pinnacle Elite, which has merino lining in the torso. There's another version, the Polar, that's merino-lined throughout. Depending on the water temps where you dive, you may want to try one of those. I have tried on a Bare Arctic fullsuit, and although it wasn't a really bad fit, it didn't fit as well as I would have liked.

Of course, right now I'm wearing a drysuit 'cause it's too cold for a wetsuit, but I'll go back to my Pinnacle in the summer.

scubalaurel:
I have been diving in a 6 5 4 seaquest wetsuit, which I LOVE. :07: However, I have already gone through 4 of them. They fit perfectly, but compress within 50 dives and by the time I get to 100 or so in it, I am freezing after only 15-20 minutes.

I dive the Seaquest and have not had the same experience at all. A couple questions:

1. Are you making most dives beyond recreational limits, which might cause a suit to compress faster?

2. Do you leave your suit hanging out in the sun for hours after dives to dry it?

3. Do you log alot of pool time, exposing the suit to chlorine?

For the most part, neoprene is neoprene, and Seaquest is a quality brand, so I doubt switching brands will solve your issue.

theskull

theskull:
I dive the Seaquest and have not had the same experience at all. A couple questions:

1. Are you making most dives beyond recreational limits, which might cause a suit to compress faster?

2. Do you leave your suit hanging out in the sun for hours after dives to dry it?

For the most part, neoprene is neoprene, and Seaquest is a quality brand, so I doubt switching brands will solve your issue.

theskull

I have a drysuit, I just need to lose 10 lbs to fit in it again :sad:

Most of my dives are between 15-70 ft. While I do do some to 150 or so, it's only a handful. I hang my suit in the garage while it drys and betweem dives, which is usually only a few days. Very little pool time, maybe three dives a year in a pool.

It seems that neoprene should be neoprene, but there is technology put into different styles. The hyperstretches do seem to compress more quickly than traditional neoprene. I've talked to some people with those hendersons and other "stretchy" wetsuits, as well as my LDS, for this info.

I really do love my seaquest's fit, and I won't argue the quality brand thing, but it just doesn't hold up to my "temperate" water diving.

I don't really like drysuit diving, even though I should get one that fits. It just feels like I am a bus driving through the water vs. diving in it when I wear a drysuit. I really need/want a good fitting wetsuit.

L

I'm not going to say this again............XCELL

theskull:

theskull

Are you diving a 6 5 4 or a traditional seaquest? :06:

BTW, not to be sexist (ok, maybe a little) but I would like to hear from the women out there, not men. You guys just don't have the same suit problems!

ShakaZulu:
I'm not going to say this again............XCELL

Doesn't fit most women...at least not ones with curves! You don't have those yet, do you?

scubalaurel:
Doesn't fit most women...at least not ones with curves! You don't have those yet, do you?

If I had those, I wouldn't still be up babe...........I looked at the female selection at a local dive store, and there was enough added material for me to realize I'm in the wrong section, ok the colors too.

ShakaZulu:
If I had those, I wouldn't still be up babe...........I looked at the female selection at a local dive store, and there was enough added material for me to realize I'm in the wrong section, ok the colors too.

Colors? Where are the colors? I am under the impression that you can't get colors unless you live ina tropical place, 'cuz colors don't sell in Cally (tahnk goodness, or there'd be more pink!) :lol2:

Back
Top Bottom