Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Laurel,

I'm with you on the curves. My seaquest fits me the best. I only have 50 dives on it but I'm thinking my cold problems are just the water temps right now! :wink:

Hi

I' m using a Bare wetsuit, 7mm, and a Bare vest of 7mm more. I dive in 11 -12°C water and with this wetsuit I still have no problem with the cold water (I had use it about 20/30 times at to day). After it I had a Mares Semidry, that is a good suite for cold water but I agree that it don't work for women's curves. And after I had a Scubapro 7 mm, very bad for curves.
Bare is the brand that I found the best fit for my body. Now I’m thinking to get a Bare Women dry suite. Why dry? because for women physiology is not recommended to stay wet for a long time.

PS (sorry for my English, I know is not very good)

Good luck

paula paz:
Hi

I' m using a Bare wetsuit, 7mm, and a Bare vest of 7mm more. I dive in 11 -12°C water and with this wetsuit I still have no problem with the cold water (I had use it about 20/30 times at to day). After it I had a Mares Semidry, that is a good suite for cold water but I agree that it don't work for women's curves. And after I had a Scubapro 7 mm, very bad for curves...

Good luck
HI there! So I take it you have the typical "Latina" figure... Like me? (soy boriqua)

Did you have to have your suit's custom fitted for height? or do the bare's fit better in that department as well?

paula paz:
Hi

I' m using a Bare wetsuit, 7mm, and a Bare vest of 7mm more. I dive in 11 -12°C water and with this wetsuit I still have no problem with the cold water (I had use it about 20/30 times at to day)... because for women physiology is not recommended to stay wet for a long time. PS (sorry for my English, I know is not very good)
Good luck

Thanks Paula,
Your english is just fine... Wow, you've tried a lot of suits. I looked at the pinnacle today, doesn't fit me very well. It looks like I'll go with the Bare, too.

Mama Mynet, The Bare's have different sizes for tall/short and other figure differences. I don't have to contend with height issues, as my height/weight are pretty average.

Hi Scubalaurel,
Good luck on the suit hunt...makes all the difference for year-round SoCal diving. Only 50 dives on a suit is definitely too short-lived.
I have about 120 dives on my 15 month old, one-piece, 7mm custom suit from JMJ Wetsuits in Torrance. Suit's in great shape, and I hope to get at least another year of diving out of it...maybe more. It was perfectly warm yesterday in 55 degree water at Pt. Dume. No ankle/wrist zippers needed because it was custom fit for me. They choose less stretchy neoprene because it doesn't need to be as stretchy...it fits me so well I have 7mm insulation everywhere, even my hips ;-) which was the part that no off-the-rack suit fit well. I do believe the non-hyperstretch neoprene compresses less quickly. My hyperstretch 3/2 surfing long suit was worthless after a year of use, whereas normal neoprene surf suits had always lasted me 3 years before getting cold.
Also, my dimensions changed due to activity level and weight training...JMJ re-tailored the suit back to perfect-fit for $20 (and they repaired every nick from urchins and rocks...I didn't even ask! They just did it!). I also have a JMJ custom 7mm hood/vest for winter diving...works wonders.
Jon, Jeff, and Martha are very friendly and helpful. Important to let them measure you at the shop, and try it on when finished in case it needs some adjustments. Then you're good to go for a lot of comfortable SoCal diving.
I'm so glad you're hearing so many good suggestions from divers who like their suits. It's good to have choices.
Stay warm!
Claudette
scubalaurel:
Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum. Glad there is a place for this. I have been diving for a little over four years now. I have been diving in a 6 5 4 seaquest wetsuit, which I LOVE.
07.gif
However, I have already gone through 4 of them. They fit perfectly, but compress within 50 dives and by the time I get to 100 or so in it, I am freezing after only 15-20 minutes. It's too esxpensive for my diving style.

Anyway, I ventured into the road of adventure and want to try a different brand. I tried a BARE and was hopeful that the variety of sizes would = a good fit. When I tried the one that corresponded to my measurements, it was way too big in the chest (which is shocking and surprising!).

Any advice for different brands of wetsuit?
06.gif

Hi Laurel,

I initially used a Body Glove X2 off the rack that kept me fairly warm until I lost weight. I got (won) a custom made wet suit from Coral Reef wetsuits in Westminster. It's a one piece 7mm and I LOVE it!!! Nice and toasty. I have over 100 dives on it already (less than a year) and it's holding up very well.

I hear that JMJ is good too. I have a friend that just got a custom from them and seems to be happy finally after 4 trips back to have adjustments made.

Good luck and see you at the beach!

Hi there - I have a full 7mm Bare and a 7mm Bare hooded shorty (water here is cold enough to warrant wearing both if you want to dive more than 6-8 weeks/year!!).
I love my Bare and (on a personal note) am not amply blessed in the chest area but my off-the rack suit fits beautifully........so I was surprised at your fitting problem in that area with this suit. It is warm, the seal at the neck, wrists, and calves are great too!!
Cheryl

Originally Posted by scubalaurel
Hey all,

This is my first time in this forum. Glad there is a place for this. I have been diving for a little over four years now. I have been diving in a 6 5 4 seaquest wetsuit, which I LOVE. http://www.scubaboard.com/images/sm...20Smiles/07.gif However, I have already gone through 4 of them. They fit perfectly, but compress within 50 dives and by the time I get to 100 or so in it, I am freezing after only 15-20 minutes. It's too esxpensive for my diving style.

Anyway, I ventured into the road of adventure and want to try a different brand. I tried a BARE and was hopeful that the variety of sizes would = a good fit. When I tried the one that corresponded to my measurements, it was way too big in the chest (which is shocking and surprising!).

Any advice for different brands of wetsuit? http://www.scubaboard.com/images/sm...20Smiles/06.gif

Mama Mynet:
HI there! So I take it you have the typical "Latina" figure... Like me? (soy boriqua)

Did you have to have your suit's custom fitted for height? or do the bare's fit better in that department as well?

yes Mama Mynet, i have a "Very Beautiful" typical Latina figure :wink: (LOL).
I'm 1,66 mts tall and 89 - 61 - 92 are my anatomical measures. For that the Women's Bare 7mm Artic SGS Fullsuit, size 8, fit me just fine, even in height.
And like Scubalaurel said, the Bare's have different sizes for tall or short

deepbluegirlca:
Hi there - I have a full 7mm Bare and a 7mm Bare hooded shorty (water here is cold enough to warrant wearing both if you want to dive more than 6-8 weeks/year!!).
I love my Bare and (on a personal note) am not amply blessed in the chest area but my off-the rack suit fits beautifully........so I was surprised at your fitting problem in that area with this suit. It is warm, the seal at the neck, wrists, and calves are great too!!
Cheryl

Soooo glad to hear this! I ordered one that has smaller chest measurementss, hopefully it will still be comfortable everywhere else :lol: I am praying it gets here before this weekend so I can actually dive. It's been 3 1/2 weeks now...I am joensing hard to get in the water. I hd a chance to go out this past weekend, but declined out of fear of the cold. Sooo NOT like me! :11:

What are the temps like up there that you need a full and shorty? That's quite a bit of neoprene, which must need a lot of lead to go with it?

L

Oh - hopefully it will arrive very soon!!
The water temps here in the spring....until early June are in the low 50's then it starts to warm up and gets into the high 70's / low 80's AND no thermocline in the big diving area near here! That is a nice treat!
My weights are all messed up as I only did my OW and AOW last May & June so was overweighted for those and spent the summer dumping more and more weight from my BC (on shore of course) then dove in San Diego at the end of August and the guys there had me take off even more weight (even being salt water) and so my boyancy really got a work out last summer and I am down to very little weight. I was in a 50 ft deep pool last Friday and had no suit (88 degrees) - just my BC and fins! I used no weights and it was a really awesome experience to be just me and my tank. :)
This spring I will have to re-assess my weights as I will be starting back to 2 pce 7mm each as my log book shows weights with far less boyancy control. I closed off last year with 20 lbs in salt water and the same in fresh water but the last dives of the year were at a flooded lock with a 2 knot current so we needed to be weighted a little negative for those dives. I will start the spring out this year looking at 18 lbs and maybe dropping to 16lbs - I weight 120 lbs.

Cheryl

scubalaurel:
Soooo glad to hear this! I ordered one that has smaller chest measurementss, hopefully it will still be comfortable everywhere else :lol: I am praying it gets here before this weekend so I can actually dive. It's been 3 1/2 weeks now...I am joensing hard to get in the water. I hd a chance to go out this past weekend, but declined out of fear of the cold. Sooo NOT like me! :11:

What are the temps like up there that you need a full and shorty? That's quite a bit of neoprene, which must need a lot of lead to go with it?

L

Back
Top Bottom