Wetsuit Questions--Women Input Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So Cal Guppy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Once I get certified, I will be needing a dive suit. I'm renting one for class because I need a size 16 and no one sells that size on the racks. Soooo....
I will then need to purchase one. Here are my desired questions:

1) tell me what brand you own and,
2) tell me what style it is: one piece or two piece (farmer john)

Thank you very much

Erika...you should really visit your LDS's and try on mulitple wetsuits to see what you like. Everyone's tastes and styles are different from one another and may not suit (pun intended) yours... Don't get caught up in brand names too much....But typically the top of the line name brands are top of the line for a reason.

I'm sure the place you are getting certified now is a good place to start trying on suits and seeking feedback from the staff that work there....

My non-female opinion would be to go with a 7mm suit (whether it be farmer john style or one piece is up to you) Most people I know love the Henderson Hyperstretch...that's a good place to start...

Good luck!

Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro has a LARGE selection of wetsuits in all sizes in stock. I have a 1 piece 7mm i used in the summer, a farmer john for non summer... but i dive dry now...

I'll say it again, CUSTOM SUITS!!

Erika and Shaggy,
New Wave WetSuit is in Orange. http://www.southcoastdivers.com/newwave/

I've had two suits made by Theresa and she modified my hoods to fit perfect.
She is great and very reasonably priced. You will not be disappointed.

Her price was LESS than some off-the-rack suits and she can turn one out in 3 days.

She will treat you right.

Dave

You can also think about a custom suit. I mainly dive dry now by my wetsuit for ocean (which I just replaced this year) was an AquaFlite custom for the past 10 years and hundreds of dives. I've been very happy with it and am probably going to order another. They used to be in SoCal but now they are in NoCal.

There's also J&J wetsuits, which are SoCal.

Custom suits are made specifically for you and they aren't that expensive. I think I originally paid $220 for mine, and a replacement will bein the neighborhood of $280-300.

Ray

Erika,

Good luck on your certs! I'm having issues with wetsuits myself....not sure what planet the people that assign sizes to them are from.....maybe its a bizarre parallel universe....I dunno.... Just want to warn you to be prepared, be patient, and keep trying til you find one you are happy with.

aboalreem: Orange County Ca. 50-60 degrees

divemstr: Thank you, however their shop (Beach Cities Scuba) doesn't have a 16 for any of their wetsuits for sale. Only for rental (funny enough they only have 1 for rental for all their shops, which I can not try on until my pool class.). :)

teamcasa: Yes, thank you for informing me about New Wave Wetsuit. I will have to visit them.

bite me: there is a Pacific Wilderness in Orange. No offensives to your suggestion, however they shop looked kinda shady.

radinator: thank you for your non-female input :)

trianii: thank you. I will keep that in mind.

:(

Hello again, I want to say thank you and how greatful that so many have replied with their strong determination to get me to see their suggestions. I smile to myself because I think I may have sounded a bit harsh in the last compiled reply. That is not what I want people here to think I am.

I would like a 2 piece farmer john style suit. I can't try it on because no one sells them for a size 16. I would have to call Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro (thank you Bite me) and find out for sure they have a 2 piece in my size to try on. I know that O'Neill (warehouse in Orange) could do a custom suit and so can Henderson (Katin in Sunset Beach, and Beach Cities in Huntington Beach, etc.), New Wave in Orange does them too and Coral Reef just around the corner from me can do a custom fit. He does have a 1 piece I could try on, which I may do so next week. I have not heard of Aquaflite, since I am new to this sport. I only know the big names O'Neill, Henderson, Body Glove (Torrance), and Coral Reef in Westminster. I will surf the net to find J & J wetsuits website to get an idea where they are located. For me, anywhere I go for a custom websuit would cost me between 290 to at least 330. I'm what you call: crossed between an Endormorph and Mesomorph.

I will have to wait until I try on the wetsuit that I have to rent and see for myself. I need to go beyond which suit I should get 1 or 2 piece and deal with the more concernable issue: where to go when you need to go?? :flush:

for those who don't know, I start class Wed. April 11 and the next 2 weekends are for pool and OW dives. :blinking:
(( divemstr, thank you for your "non-female input" )) :D

So Cal Guppy:
bite me: there is a Pacific Wilderness in Orange. No offensives to your suggestion, however they shop looked kinda shady.

i haven't be to the Orange store... but i know it's the redheaded stepchild to the san pedro store. SP store is big and it has a large selection...

1 piece - $99
2 piece - $169

they also have a semi dry and a stretch 1 piece. you can look into getting a 1 piece with a hooded vest. i'd go with the semi dry or the 2 piece. the water has been COLD!!!

as far as your other question.... ummm... it's a nice way to warm you up quickly when you are in the water... if it's #2 well.... wet neoprene is a pain to get on and off no matter how you look at it.

maybe get a diveskin to put under it as well. it helps get the suit on and off and it also adds a little warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom