Wetsuit Questions--Women Input Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Erika!

Welcome!!

You should really try out the Aqualung wetsuit. It's 7mm and very stretchy! I have curves and it is very easy for me to get into. I've tried many other wetsuits and this one by far is the easiest for me to put on.

It runs more than some of the others, but I think it is worth it. (If you try it, try a size 14 instead of a 16. I wear a size smaller in this wetsuit than normal.)

Have fun!

I may not have curves, but from a pure convenience standpoint, I vastly prefer the one-piece suits to the old-school farmer john types. Far more comfortable, and a lot less neoprene to sink (is 14mm REALLY needed for the core... plus all the extra weight needed to sink it?).

I also prefer the semi-dry all-in-one designs. I thought I would have flexibility by adding a separate hood, but it's just one more thing to keep track of, and believe me, there's plenty of that already!

For off-the-rack stuff, I second Bite Me's recommendation to check out Pac Wilderness' semi-dry one piece suit. Yet another option... if they have your size... (It's a farther trek) is Aqua Tech's semi-dry 8/7/6/5 suit, which is basically a rip off copy of the highly-regarded (and expensive) Excel semi-dry. They have them on their website, and they're down in San Diego. My buddy just got one and loves it. They only have them in "men's" styles, but if you can fit one, it's a hard value to beat.

As far as custom options: JMJ is in Torrance and they have a fabulous rep among local hardcore divers (who haven't gone dry yet): http://www.jmjwetsuits.com/

Another good option is LiquidFit, and although they're not local, they get rave reviews here on ScubaBoard all the time: http://www.liquidfit.com/

Good luck!

Most manufacturers only go to size 14 womens sizes, but that doesn't mean you need
to go custom. If you go with Henderson Hyperstretch or Scubapro Everflex, you
would usually go down one size. The downsides of the stretchy suits is that they will
snag a little easier, the material is not quite as dense and they compress a little thinner
at depth so they are not quite as warm. All in all, to buy one of these is cheaper than
going custom and they are very comfortable. :D

I'm not sure if they make a women's version, I can't see why they wouldn't, but I highly recommend the Xcel Quad Polar 8, 7, 6, 5mm. It's a front entry(which really rocks) with an integrated hood. I've been wearing wetsuits for about 12 years now and this is by far the most comfortable (warmth and dexterity) I have ever had. It's a smart suit, thinner neoprene around the joints and warmer around the chest and back.

Good luck!

Billy

Can you get BARE wetsuits where you live? They have a pretty good size range.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/rt_sizecharts_dive.aspx that should take you to the size chart.

I currently have two BARE suits (one piece and two piece) and previous to these, wore another one out. I need a new wetsuit right now, and it will likely be BARE again.

kari

I am far from being a woman...but I am married to a red headed female.... (a sheep dipped red head female)

Divers in the know and those who spend a lot of time in the water like the spear fishermen & women have traditionally had their suits made by the little ole wet suit maker Mark Kettenhofen of Kettenhofen Enterprises in the city of Orange. Over the years his suits have been superior in all aspects. We have been wearing his suits since he began making wet suits over 40 years ago and currently we both have two of his custom suits.

There is a difference in a custom and a Off Rack suit and that is quiality and fit--Mark's are highest quality and they do fit---remember the first wet suit you own will be tight the rest you own in your diving career you will want them to be even tighter to eliminate any migration of water.

Mark is the oldest and best wet suit maker in Orange county so rather than starting you diving career with an of rack suit start with the best--a custom Kettenhofen.

I would strongly urge that you contact him --ASAP

Good luck with your new adventure into the underwater world..

SDM

Ok, I posted earlier that I was having issues finding a suit that fits me. I was having to rent a suit 2 sizes larger than my clothes/dress size. I was miserable... Today...well....Henderson HyperStretch got my dollars!! I gotta tell you, find a dive shop that carries them in all sizes and try it! I literally went from claustrophobic with my breathing and circulation being cut off....to fits like a dream....in my ACTUAL size!

Give the Pacific Wilderness Orange store a try... I got a great deal on some gear there that I could not find anywhere else. Having said that, I think your best option is Theresa at New Wave, she will make sure your wetsuit fits appropriately and the cost will be comparable to what you can find off-the-rack. A Henderson Hyperstretch might be comfortable, but they do not dry quickly... I have a Henderson Gold Core 7 mm off the rack, and a hooded vest that Theresa made. This keeps me warm enough in SoCal except for the winter (drysuit weather!)

Best wishes,

Jennifer

I remembered looking at the Xcel's and other dive suits and the guy at Beach Cities Scuba said they don't make wetsuits for women of that size. O o boy! But then again I should probably check out their website.

Empty V:
I'm not sure if they make a women's version, I can't see why they wouldn't, but I highly recommend the Xcel Quad Polar 8, 7, 6, 5mm. It's a front entry(which really rocks) with an integrated hood. I've been wearing wetsuits for about 12 years now and this is by far the most comfortable (warmth and dexterity) I have ever had. It's a smart suit, thinner neoprene around the joints and warmer around the chest and back.

Good luck!

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom