Wetsuit Questions--Women Input Needed Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been thinking of binding my chest with ACE bandage :rofl3: , no sticky and flesh-removing duc tape. yicks! thank you, that makes 2 for Pacific Wilderness and 2 for Teresa. :) 2 size larger! my goodness. were there other women in your class when you got certified? Just curious.

Trianii:
Ok, I posted earlier that I was having issues finding a suit that fits me. I was having to rent a suit 2 sizes larger than my clothes/dress size. I was miserable... Today...well....Henderson HyperStretch got my dollars!! I gotta tell you, find a dive shop that carries them in all sizes and try it! I literally went from claustrophobic with my breathing and circulation being cut off....to fits like a dream....in my ACTUAL size!

I don't know if anyone in Southern California sells BARE. I will have to check out their website from below. Thank you

Karibelle:
Can you get BARE wetsuits where you live? They have a pretty good size range.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/rt_sizecharts_dive.aspx that should take you to the size chart.

I currently have two BARE suits (one piece and two piece) and previous to these, wore another one out. I need a new wetsuit right now, and it will likely be BARE again.

kari

So Cal Shaggy mention it to me. Thank you.

sam miller:
I am far from being a woman...but I am married to a red headed female.... (a sheep dipped red head female)

Divers in the know and those who spend a lot of time in the water like the spear fishermen & women have traditionally had their suits made by the little ole wet suit maker Mark Kettenhofen of Kettenhofen Enterprises in the city of Orange. Over the years his suits have been superior in all aspects. We have been wearing his suits since he began making wet suits over 40 years ago and currently we both have two of his custom suits.

There is a difference in a custom and a Off Rack suit and that is quiality and fit--Mark's are highest quality and they do fit---remember the first wet suit you own will be tight the rest you own in your diving career you will want them to be even tighter to eliminate any migration of water.

Mark is the oldest and best wet suit maker in Orange county so rather than starting you diving career with an of rack suit start with the best--a custom Kettenhofen.

I would strongly urge that you contact him --ASAP

Good luck with your new adventure into the underwater world..

SDM

Thank you Cdreamer. For any water sport, all of them stop at 14. I know for sure I could not fit into a 14 (unless there's enough rOOm for certain body parts):) . I guess they feel that "Why should we make sizes larger than 14?" As if anyone larger than the sizes they (manufacturers) make just should not do that sport. What a turn-off.

cdreamer:
Most manufacturers only go to size 14 womens sizes, but that doesn't mean you need
to go custom. If you go with Henderson Hyperstretch or Scubapro Everflex, you
would usually go down one size. The downsides of the stretchy suits is that they will
snag a little easier, the material is not quite as dense and they compress a little thinner
at depth so they are not quite as warm. All in all, to buy one of these is cheaper than
going custom and they are very comfortable. :D

Scubapro Everflex 5mm, Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm. Love them both, depends on the water temp. My Henderson has taken a real beating. They snag on the velcro on your BC, I've heard some say they aren't as warm as another brand 3mm suit but they are a dream to put on.

Like others have said, go to your LDS and try several on. Make sure you get a good fit.

Thank you Bratface. My LDSs do not have size 16 dive suits (or surf wetsuits) for that matter. However...only 1 has an one piece in an XL (they dont go by numbers). I have not tried it on. I'm hoping next week I will be able to. But thank you very much it looks like the 1 piece at coral reef or getting a custom. shrug. Thank you for mentioning about the snagging part. :)

Bratface:
Scubapro Everflex 5mm, Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm. Love them both, depends on the water temp. My Henderson has taken a real beating. They snag on the velcro on your BC, I've heard some say they aren't as warm as another brand 3mm suit but they are a dream to put on.

Like others have said, go to your LDS and try several on. Make sure you get a good fit.

I thought the toliet made it clearer :rofl3: oh now I think I understand behind the toliet icon...I thought it meant (literally) the toliet, but it means places to dive, right?

Marek K:
Doh...

I thought Erika was talking about dive sites.

Really.

So Cal Guppy:
I thought the toliet made it clearer :rofl3: oh now I think I understand behind the toliet icon...I thought it meant (literally) the toliet, but it means places to dive, right?
I think the toilet emoticon means anything you want it to mean. Like, "things are going right down the."

It was just me being dense... I didn't put your question together with the emoticon.

I see your question in the other thread. It's not at all just a women's issue. There's been lots of discussion about this here; search using, like, "pee*" and "wetsuit." (Not sure whether it's still the case, but it used to be you coudn't search with jsut a thre-letter term; hence the * added.)

The Catch-22 is, you really should be well-hydrated when you're diving; it helps prevent decompression sickness. But... you know.

If you're on a boat, use the head just before suiting up. Or if you're anchored, and the water is warm enough, jump in for a couple minutes without your wetsuit; everyone will understand (and probably be doing the same thing).

Other than that, yeah, pee right in your wetsuit. For tropical diving, I use a thin front-zip wetsuit so I can, um, flush out. And yes, that's why I don't like rentals either!!

Just one of those things you have to get over your squeamishness about. :D

As far as #2... I have to say I agree with everyone else that it hasn't been a problem at all.

(I can't believe someone actually brought up Warhammer.)

(Um, I haven't been able to find it on the 'net for a couple of years...)

--Marek

So Cal Guppy:
Thank you Cdreamer. For any water sport, all of them stop at 14. I know for sure I could not fit into a 14 (unless there's enough rOOm for certain body parts):) . I guess they feel that "Why should we make sizes larger than 14?" As if anyone larger than the sizes they (manufacturers) make just should not do that sport. What a turn-off.

In the Henderson Hyperstretch, a 14 would most likely fit. It REALLY stretches
where you need it to.

Head over to the "Women's Forum" where I was given tons of info on potty issues. Or just search So Cal Guppy I am in at least 3 forums. Thank you.

Marek K:
I think the toilet emoticon means anything you want it to mean. Like, "things are going right down the."

It was just me being dense... I didn't put your question together with the emoticon.

I see your question in the other thread. It's not at all just a women's issue. There's been lots of discussion about this here; search using, like, "pee*" and "wetsuit." (Not sure whether it's still the case, but it used to be you coudn't search with jsut a thre-letter term; hence the * added.)

The Catch-22 is, you really should be well-hydrated when you're diving; it helps prevent decompression sickness. But... you know.

If you're on a boat, use the head just before suiting up. Or if you're anchored, and the water is warm enough, jump in for a couple minutes without your wetsuit; everyone will understand (and probably be doing the same thing).

Other than that, yeah, pee right in your wetsuit. For tropical diving, I use a thin front-zip wetsuit so I can, um, flush out. And yes, that's why I don't like rentals either!!

Just one of those things you have to get over your squeamishness about. :D

As far as #2... I have to say I agree with everyone else that it hasn't been a problem at all.

(I can't believe someone actually brought up Warhammer.)

(Um, I haven't been able to find it on the 'net for a couple of years...)

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom