Wet suit worries (girl problem)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have big boobs(36 DD) and I am 5'4. I am worried about fitting them into a wet suit. I don't own one or have been diving yet. Its something I plan on doing because I want to be a marine or aquatic biologist. I also wanted to swim with sharks on my 19th birthday coming up in July. My mother, who has been trying to make me get a reduction since I was 17, thinks I am going to look like a ****.

Any other girls have big boobs?
Do they still look big in a wet suit? Or as my mother would say "freakish/****ty".

I hope no one takes the following the wrong way, but..
It would be helpful if I could show her a picture of a girl with a similar chest in a wet suit so she would leave me alone about it.

Here's a picture(sorry don't have a better one) of my wife in her skins-----and yes, I'm proud to say, she's a 40 DD.......you'll be fine---in my book, you're a 'tiny tot'...lol......
IMG_1293036.jpg

Seriously, if anything the suit will minimize your bust line a bit and accentuate your hips especially if the suit has cleverly designed color panels. If you go custom make this part of the criteria. Once you're all trussed up in your gear your gifts will be even less apparent.

Based on my wife's experience I would get involved with BC shopping as soon as your training allows you to test dive models in the pool.

Pete

Come on man, this girl is eighteen.Show a little respect.

I was going to reply with something about being skeptical of new posters asking for pictures of women's body parts in their first few post, or how nothing I said could be construed to be disrespectful unless you're really hyper sensitive.

But your response is more interesting to me than that. It made me wonder how old a lady had to be before you felt it was appropriate to be disrespectful to her? 21? 25? Or do you just play it by ear? Honestly, it never dawned on me that there was an age requirement.

I was going to reply with something about being skeptical of new posters asking for pictures of women's body parts in their first few post, or how nothing I said could be construed to be disrespectful unless you're really hyper sensitive.

But your response is more interesting to me than that. It made me wonder how old a lady had to be before you felt it was appropriate to be disrespectful to her? 21? 25? Or do you just play it by ear? Honestly, it never dawned on me that there was an age requirement.

If you play it by ear. A good rule of tum, if there is a "teen" in the age, it is to young to ask certain questions. But there is really no reason ever to be disrespectful. JMTC

I'm the same bust size and similar height. I've always rented suits, and don't tend to have too much problem getting a decent fit- if anything it tends to be my hips that cause a problem! That's including 7mm suits- which are a bit more awkward and less stretchy than the thinner suits. wetsuits don't give any uplift and, as the others have said, tend to compress me more than anything. My swimming costume helps too- it's a sports suit which has a double-layered shelf for support but no underwire (this is comfy and helps with the compression!). So avoid underwiring and be prepared to maybe try on a couple of rental suits and you should be fine!

I'm 5'4" myself with 34DD, and I've had good and bad luck with wetsuits. It definately seems that the lower the mm on the thickness, the easier it is for being comfy and getting a good fit. Both my 3mm henderson shorty and my 3mm one-piece (can't remember the name, and I'm at work so I can't check) fit great. The "monoboob" mentioned above isn't as bad as say, a sports bra since I wear a fitted bathing suit underneath. The first time I put on the one-piece I stood in front of my mirror and struck a super-heroine pose... it looked great.

Now, my henderson 7mm Farmer John (or any other FJ I've used) makes for a little breathing difficulty on land or during a long surface swim. There's just so much material to have to breath through, that it's a little tight. I find myself having to leave the top portion unzipped a ways til it's time to submerge otherwise I get out of breath.

I've seen diver's with all types of bodystyles, and big boobies are nothing to be ashamed of.

On another note... once you get farther along in your diving, get your own BC that is a women's cut one because it makes a lot of difference too. I can't comment on Backplate/wings since I don't dive one.

--Shannon

Please pardon my interruption ladies.

My wife and I were at the Long Beach Scuba Show this weekend and one of the companies there was http://www.wetwear.com/
They produce a very nice custom fit wetsuit for a very reasonable price. The reason I bring this up now is they made a big deal to my wife about how their suits have built-in bras and they fit women better than any off the shelf suit. My wife looked it over very close and told me that was her next wetsuit. Maybe worth a call.

" have big boobs(36 DD) and I am 5'4. I am worried about fitting them into a wet suit. I don't own one or have been diving yet. Its something I plan on doing because I want to be a marine or aquatic biologist. I also wanted to swim with sharks on my 19th birthday coming up in July. My mother, who has been trying to make me get a reduction since I was 17, thinks I am going to look like a ****. "

gurl, i have the same size i am a bit taller and its not an issue. get a good sports bra. easy fix, it will flatten you out, second as a bathing suit and make diving and the bounce we get from big boobs dissapear. i only wear a 3 mil but any suit is fine. dont let anything get in your way of diving. AND DONT EVER HAVE YOUR BOOBS REDUCED FOR DIVING. plus guys love big boobs...lol wendy

Aquaria89,

It sounds like diving/wetsuits isn't the problem. It doesn't even really sound like it's YOUR issue. Rather, this is your mom's issue with being concerned about the attention you're going to get from boys. Yes, boys like boobs... it's just the way boys are wired. If you're satisfied with it, then you mom should deal with her own issue, herself... it's not your problem, or your fault, that you have big boobs.

You're 18 and have your whole life ahead of you. If you're not experiencing any physical issues like back problems, then there is no reason to get a reduction surgery to solve your mom's issue with boys taking an interest in you. Why would you ever consider a surgery to make SOMEONE ELSE happy?

Like I said, this isn't a diving/wetsuit issue - it's not even YOUR issue. This is your mom's issue and something SHE should deal with on her own. I believe YOU should make YOUR OWN choices about YOUR body. If you're happy with big boobs, then STAY HAPPY with them!!

Beyond this, get references for good scuba instructors in your area, get good training, practice your skills, and we look forward to welcoming you to our underwater world!!

Yes, it sounds a little strange that a parent would suggest unnecessary surgery for their child. There are many well fitting stretchable wetsuits out there and also a top can be custom fitted. Good luck with your dreams and goals in biology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom