Wet suit worries (girl problem)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaria89

Registered
Reaction score
I have big boobs(36 DD) and I am 5'4. I am worried about fitting them into a wet suit. I don't own one or have been diving yet. Its something I plan on doing because I want to be a marine or aquatic biologist. I also wanted to swim with sharks on my 19th birthday coming up in July. My mother, who has been trying to make me get a reduction since I was 17, thinks I am going to look like a ****.

Any other girls have big boobs?
Do they still look big in a wet suit? Or as my mother would say "freakish/****ty".

I hope no one takes the following the wrong way, but..
It would be helpful if I could show her a picture of a girl with a similar chest in a wet suit so she would leave me alone about it.

Last edited:
Get a wetsuit with more stetchy material. I have the 7 mm Henderson Thermoprene and it's fine with my 34Ds. The Henderson Hyperflex is even more stetchy, so you might want to look into that one.

Where do you plan to dive? Where are you locted? That would also be kind of important. If you dive in warm water locations and just need a skin, they will def fit over your chest with no problem.

Is there a dive shop in your area? If so, go try on some wetsuits to see which ones fit.

There are also custom made wetsuits if you can't find one that fits, but it can get a bit pricey from what I've heard.

I second Henderson suits. Check out at least the Thermalprene, You may even want a Hyperstrech suit but the cost goes up on those.

My wife as the same issue, gifted on top (or cursed depending on your point of view) and avg sized everywhere else. The suits are always a little tight in the chest or loose everywhere else.

I'm sorry to hear that it sounds like your mom isn't very supportive of you. There is a solution to everything, and surgery is not one of them in my opinion, at least unless you really want it for yourself and because of yourself only. The new hyperstretch wetsuits could be helpful, but it is actually really easy to have a wetsuit tailored to your needs. It costs only slightly more than buying a wetsuit off the rack and might be very well worth it in your case.

Good luck!

A good custom suit only costs about fifty per cent more than a good of the rack suit. I always get custom, it makes a huge difference in warmth having a suit that fits and if water sloshes in and out it doesn't matter how thick the material is!

Unless you're really (I mean REALLY) uncomfortable with your body, leave it alone. Try on lots of suits and see if one fits decently. If not, have one custom made for you.

Tell your mom you've decided to cut the neoprene instead of your body because it's- A- cheaper, B- less painful, and C- has far less serious consequences if done wrong.

Also tell your mom that for what she was willing to spend on surgery she can not only buy you a few wetsuits, but fully outfit you with dive equipment, and with the change buy you a trip to Fiji.

FWIW- I don't think most men are critical of well endowed women in wetsuits, I think it's usually just the opposite.

At first I guess it would just in a pool. I haven't even started looking into lesson and all that yet. I live in the Philly area.

For my birthday I wanted to do something like this.
Phillyist: Swimming with the Sharks - (No Cement Shoes Required)

They have one where you can scuba with the sharks, but you need your cert and 25 dives. Something I prob won't have by my B day.

According to this the water in the shark tank is 72 degrees.
Swimming With Sharks, Aquarium Lets Visitors Take A Dip In Special Shark Tank - CBS News

This place is less then 10 mins from my house
Ultimate Scuba Adventures - Delaware County's only PADI 5 Star Training Center

Anyone know a good site to order a wet suit from? Possibly one thats good with returns in case it doesn't fit.

Yeah, I am not getting the surgery. I don't want to have to go through that. It's my mom that has the problem with my chest not me. Yeah they are annoying but I still don't want surgery.

Aren't those new Bare suits supposed to be "forgiving"? (check out the front of any of the major dive magazines for the picture)

My ex sister-in-law has reduction surgery at 18 to relieve back problems. That would have been in 84 or 85. She still has problems today with scar tissue issues and even though the external scarring was minimal (or so I'm told) she also has image issues. This may be more imagined that real but it is still a problem. Wetsuit manufacturers have woken up in the last few years. Pinnacle has a whole line of women's suit's in 16 or 17 different sizes and yes they do take your blessings into account. And the new merino elastiprene suits that they have are warm and very generous in stretchiness. As a side note I've worked recently with several well endowed ladies and noticed that weighting is different. It is fatty tissue after all and therefore puts more buoyancy up top. We've found that they are great candidates for Back Plate and Wing setups when it comes to BC's.

Oh one other thing- neoprene is very flattering.

Back
Top Bottom