Wet suit worries (girl problem)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're really (I mean REALLY) uncomfortable with your body, leave it alone. Try on lots of suits and see if one fits decently. If not, have one custom made for you.

Tell your mom you've decided to cut the neoprene instead of your body because it's- A- cheaper, B- less painful, and C- has far less serious consequences if done wrong.

Also tell your mom that for what she was willing to spend on surgery she can not only buy you a few wetsuits, but fully outfit you with dive equipment, and with the change buy you a trip to Fiji.

FWIW- I don't think most men are critical of well endowed women in wetsuits, I think it's usually just the opposite.

I second that; my wife has the same size as yours; do not be embarrassed of your looks; I consider myself a lucky hubby:wink:

Anyone know a good site to order a wet suit from? Possibly one thats good with returns in case it doesn't fit.

Since you're so concerned with the fit...I don't think ordering online is the best option. You really should actually go to a few dive shops to try on several different brands, sizes, and styles.

I've found the Scubapro women's wetsuits are cut nicely to accomodate a busty female, although I'm not quite in the potential reduction category. The nice thing is that neoprene stretches and breasts compress quite a bit. But I heartily second the recommendation for going to some shops and trying on wetsuits. This is one place where ordering on line may really turn out to be a nuisance, as you get and return multiple suits until you find the brand and size that works well for you.

According to this chart of standard sizes it seems Bare do a 36 size for a 5'4 person. Perhaps I shouldn't admit I'm no expert by far on chest sizes, but I think that's what those figures meant:wink:

Why do you need a suit again? It seems your main focus right now is the shark tank dive? 70 degrees you say? ok, it won't be hot, but you'd be fine for quite a while in there as a one off for your birthday. You could wear a couple of tight t-shirts (or at worst an oversize wetsuit) just for the day to keep the cold off for a while. So I don't think there really need to be a rush to get one, take your time and get it done right.

There are systems that do two-piece suits (not ideal), but if you wear an underskin aswell, it's an option, and you could have a larger top section and a smaller leg section. but...

I will reitterate what's said above though - GO to a place and check them out IN PERSON, and better still get one CUSTOM MADE! It will be well worth it, and remember it will last a long time too. (I've had my suit for 12 years), and once it's done you don't have to worry about it anymore.

(and yeah, forget surgery unless your getting resulting physical problems).

Tell your mom you've decided to cut the neoprene instead of your body because it's- A- cheaper, B- less painful, and C- has far less serious consequences if done wrong.

Also tell your mom that for what she was willing to spend on surgery she can not only buy you a few wetsuits, but fully outfit you with dive equipment, and with the change buy you a trip to Fiji.

Now that's funny!

Aquaria89, if you're not certified yet, check out what the LDS has for rental gear. Why spend the money on a suit (especially a custom suit) until you know if you're going to like diving. And you may only like certain types of diving- warm, tropical waters call for less neoprene than frigid waters.

Most rental stores will have SOMETHING that will work.

My best friend is right about your size. She bought a used Farmer John (or is that Jane?) from my LDS when she flew out for a visit a few years ago and it's perfect. Before that, she was renting suits and didn't have too hard of a time.

Aquaria89,

You can try some off the rack suits as has been suggested but some of your success will depend on how heavy a suit (eventually suits) you will need for your diving conditions. A stretchy thin suit is one thing. As you get into cold water there come to be a lot of compromises with those suits.

My wife is not an off the rack gal and her bosoms are one of the reasons she's diving in custom suits. The cost is very comparable to a top end off the rack suit so it should not be a barrier. We have had success working with Atlan and Liquidfit.

Here is the custom topic from my primer on wetsuits. The whole page is probably a worthwhile read as you are just getting started.

Pete

Aquaria89,

My wife has no problem finding a warm water off the rack suit. She has a similar issue as you. We got a scubapro 3mm and a ripcurl 3/2mm suit. Regular neoprene and they fit find. It is all about the cut of the suit. Just take your time, and shop around. If you are looking for a warm weather suit, the thinner neoprene suit are plenty flexible and will not be much of an issue. If you think you will be diving in water under 70, I would look for a 5mm, and would look at the hyperflex and superflex neoprene suits. And if you want to dive colder water and need a 7mm, definitely go with super stretchy neoprene.

I would look at Leisurepro.com for a wetsuit if you are looking to get one online. They have a very good wetsuit policy. But if you are really concern about the fit, I would go to a LDS to find one. The LDS will be a bit more.

Since you live in the North East, the water around here is cold. So a 7mm seem to be the suit of choice. With a 72 degree water in the shark tank, you will be fine with a 3mm suit, unless you tend to be cold, then I would go with a 5mm suit.

If you plan to do you scuba cert dives at dutch spring during the summer, you could get away with a 5mm.

Hope this info helps. Good luck

According to this chart of standard sizes it seems Bare do a 36 size for a 5'4 person. Perhaps I shouldn't admit I'm no expert by far on chest sizes, but I think that's what those figures meant:wink:

If ya ever need to go clothing shopping for a female, you might want to think about flowers, instead :D. 36" in bra size is the band size (just below the bust-line + 4-5"). 36 DD would translate to about 41" at the bustline (a few inches more than the chest size Bare says they accommodate).

. . . And speaking of saying they accommodate - I have a Bare. The cut on the one I have is generous in the hips and very snug at the bustline (and no one would accuse me of being busty). Mine is not one of the new stretchy ones - but based on my experience with my Bare, it is not a suit I would recommend for (1) tall people or (2) busty people.

Strangely enough, some men share your problem.
Those men who happen to be extreme body builders and divers have like issues.

I, like several others, would strongly advise buying a custom made suit.

If the suit doesn't fit, it won't work.

With comfort/fit somes additional safety.

the K

Being a card carrying busty girl, I will tell you that they (the real ones anyway, not sure of the man made kind) do manage to fit into wet suits of all types. They are forgiving apendages. I would make sure you buy one that is cut for a woman. My first 7mm was a guys suit, and while the girls fit in fine, the neck leaked water like a hose = cold diving. Just betwen you and me 36DD is not freakish. I'm larger than that....

Back
Top Bottom