Welcome to the Combined California Thread - Like the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sapphire once bubbled...

I respectfully suggest that if you cannot re-split the sections, you start over with two new, separate sections. Obviously, the majority want NorCal and SoCal separated. If it is too difficult, leave this combined thing in both areas (if that is possible) and if it is not... start over. We will all be starting new subjects anyway, it is just a matter of what section they end up in, correct?

Please forgive the suggestion if I don't understand the mechanics of the technology of the Board. I am only trying to suggest a resolution to the quandary :( .

peace,

sapphire

Although I really don't care either way, I agree with Sapphire...

Make two NEW forums, one each for Nor Cal and So Cal, and temporarily appoint two or three people here to resplit the "combined" forum back into two....those two people could be given temp privilages to move threads from the combined thread into the new forums...

I've mod'd using software very similar to this before, and believe it can be done. Its just a matter of what the owners/regulators feel is appropriate.

Oops...Its not currently on the table...I just realized. :wink:

Walter once bubbled...

[snip]

Third, I don't like to see anyone fall victim to arbitrary decisions. Each of these clubs was formed following rules set out by Scubaboard and was promised its own forum. While the rules have changed over time (requiring 10 to charter instead of 5), they comformed to the rules in effect at the time and deserve to be treated fairly.

The 2 clubs, NDI Northern California and NDI Southern California are victims of unfair treatment and an arbitrary decision. The situation needs to be set right and right away.

Wholeheartedly agree. Seems that recently bestowed powers and privileges have gotten some to think they know best for everyone else.

Impulsive decisions make for regrettable decisions.

Saying it can't be re-split or that it isn't on the table just means that someone dumped a truckload of manure and now doesn't want to get it back in the truck using only hand-tools. Definitely not pleasant, but definitely doable.

Bob
(Originally from San Pedro)

wb416 once bubbled... Wholeheartedly agree.
Not that I have any meaningful opinion or tie to this situation, but I agree with wb416 and walter.

Something happened....I'd hate to see active members quit b/c of some goofy qwerk like this.

It is fixable....it's just a lot of work...

think that the North/South threads should be split, a least on a going forward basis. WB416, from what I have learned in other volunteer organizations, one just can't do enough for some people for free. "Doable" probably means a lot of someone else's unpaid time.

I agree that we need to keep the 2 sections separate. If it's too much effort to separate them now, then why don't we just keep the combined CA grouping, but add 2 new separate ones for So. Cal & No. Cal, so all past threads will be in the combined CA one, but all new ones from now on will go in the appropriate one. Plus, this way anything that would be appropriate for all CA would have its own place as well.

kelpmermaid once bubbled...
think that the North/South threads should be split, a least on a going forward basis. WB416, from what I have learned in other volunteer organizations, one just can't do enough for some people for free. "Doable" probably means a lot of someone else's unpaid time.

KM,
I understand what you're saying. There are certainly practical limits to what I've suggested. Ideally, the "doer" doing the "doable" is the one that didn't pause to consider the consequences of the action. It helps reinforce to those new to "leadership" to think first before "racing into action" in the future.

regards,
bob

where either of the two Cali groups were formed via the normal process... not that this would surprise many :tease: Clubs are usually formed by having ten or more members in a geographical area submit their names as the charter members. These clubs came about as the result of a poll that was split about 1 or 2 sections (only 23 votes), and with no charter members ever being listed. The Humble Beginning Of course, all clubs have to be approved by management in addition to meeting the requirements.

However, neither of these forums were used all that much with only a combined 320 or so threads over more than a year. Most clubs from smaller states have twice that. The ratio between the two sections was 3 SCal posts to 1 NCal post… so it was quite obvious to us that the NCal forum was not all that interesting or used. This is probably why you have heard from so few NCal divers. So instead of you SCalis thinking that you lost a forum, look at it as gaining a few more members instead! It’s quite easy to get indignant about what –WE- did, but you voted with your posting habits.

As for geographical diversity, you really don’t have any more than Florida or Texas. Florida has two major bodies of salt water to contend with (not sure how many miles of coast) and an extensive set of caves to explore. We seem to do fine with only one club!

I will tell you this... we are rearranging a good portion of the board, and are trying to make it simpler to navigate. Every club will be connected to its own web page, which will include a calendar and other special features like photo galleries. Most of the other clubs have this already, and we are waiting to find out what you will be calling yourselves so we can get that going for you as well. We hope to accomplish this by the first of the year.

Hey gang, Scubaboard is huge! 18,000+ users come here, many on a continual basis to chat and hang out. This requires us to change things around from time to time to make a great boar even better and also easier for our VOLUNTEER staff to maintain and moderate. Don’t get put off by the changes… they are absolutely necessary for our continued growth. Instead, accept the name you have or come up with a new one so we can move on towards our goal to make Scubaboard an even better place to visit.

Sorry, Pete, and I've never before complained about any aspect of the way the board is run, but I (along with a number of my fellow statespersons) think that this was a mistake, and that suggesting that embracing the new name (or selecting a new new name) is going to make this any easier to swallow.

There have been a number of loudly voiced opinions regarding the way this was shoved down the collective throats of diving Californians. At the minimum, I would hope that those responsible for this fiasco ask (take a poll?) before inflicting such pain in the future. And at best, set things back to the way they were.

Thank you.

Its pretty clear that things are not going to change to the liking of the 'club members'. Thats as strong as I will go out of fear of being banned for opposing those in power. This is not a democracy, so we better just move on and pray for a benevolent dictatorship......

So back to names.....

Combined California Costal Connesiuers (sp?)
Golden State Water Warmers
North American Southwest Pacific Coast Dive Club
Pacific Southwest Giribalidi Bait
Pacific Southwest, north of Mexico, south of Oregon, Great White Shark Bait
Not used all that much before and likely used even less in the future Cali Diving Forum

or

California Dreamers

That sounds good, California Dreamers. The question is what are we dreaming about?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom