Welcome to the Combined California Thread - Like the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well said Wile E ! I agree! The two parts of the state could not be more different in many aspects! Would you consider combining 2/3 of the east coast in one group?? I dont think so!
How about some discussion before these decisions are made?:confused:
Maybe we should all start posting a bunch of nonsense to get our count up???

If I understand it correctly, there never was any NDI Club in California at all and they did not rate even one forum, certainly not two.

Seems to me, the correct proceedure would be to notify the folks who thought they had a club about the lack of crossing T's and dotting I's and letting them take care of an oversight they were not aware existed.

Looks like the ball is in the court of the folks in California to apply for one club for the entire state, or one club for just the south and none for the north, or one club for just the north and none for the south, or one for each or none at all.

Pete (NetDoc)... I would have to disgree with you regarding the suggested homogeneity in California diving. Within a mere 100 miles of Catalina I can enter into an entirely different biogeographic zone with different dominant species, etc. We have the Oregonian Province north of Pt. Conception, a transitional area in the Channel Islands region (Santa Barbara to San Diego), and the beginnings of the Panamic province, or at least elements thereof in the southernmost part of the state.

Since Nature itself has seen fit to divide our state on a north/south basis, I think it would be likewise appropariate for ScubaBoard to do so.

Nothing I say here should suggest I have anything against our NorCal members. Quite the contrary.

NCali to the PNW Orca Bait??? It appears to be the red headed step child in all of this.

As for "homogeneity", I did not ascertain that it was such... just that other diverse areas are served by a single club.

Again, the lack of many Northern Cali divers is the real issue. As we try to include other (possibly more popular) forums on the board, it is only natural that the less popular ones be absorbed. (Should I just paint a bullseye on my forhead for that last statement?) Especially with the additional resources about to be allocated to the various clubs, we want to focus on the active areas.

Initially, I thought that the SoCal section was going to be a chapter of the NDI clubs. While this great idea never took off, the section itself has seen an obvious gain in popularity. Remember this one?

The SoCal section has been a great source of information regarding dive sites and dive conditions. More importantly, it's been a great way to meet fellow local divers and make new friends.

So even though there was never a formal club structure, in a way, the purpose was achieved any how.

The NDIs were supposed to be local clubs. And this is probably why the Golden State and its 1,1120 mile coastline was split. This is not really a novel idea. AAA does the same...

Regarding the reasons given to combine the threads, I'm not sure I get it. If the NoCal section is not active, it shouldn't take much to moderate it... As to the SoCal thread, I can't remember one thread being actually moderated. And combining the two threads won't save any server space either. A post is a post.

Certainly, taking a quick mod look at our informal exchanges on the current dive conditions can't be more time consuming than moderating some of the new sections that have appeared on the board lately. By the way, when do we get a "Manly Men Views" section? :)

We understand that, as users of a private forum, we don't have many rights on its actual structure. Ultimately, it's up to the owners :dotdot: to decide what's right for their website. But would you combine 2/3 or 3/4 of the East Coast clubs? I was looking at the list. 5 Clubs for the East, 3, sorry, now 2 for the West. Doesn't make much sense for something that's supposed to be local.

Respectfully,

Arnaud (French dude, yes I'll have cheese with that :wink:)

Ridding the board of its Northern California section was a HUUUUUUGE mistake....You are forgiven..but please..please...please..for the love of God and country...return to the way it was....:boom:

I wonder why the moderators have not responded to the requests to return to two sections?

I understand we can reapply for each NDI club forum, and that you need 10 members for each NDI Club to do so. But I also understand that they have recently changed the "rules", so that even if you have 10 members, the moderators still have "management approval" of all clubs.

Perhaps they could tell us in advance if it is worth the trouble to gather the member information and submit it...

peace,

sapphire

sapphire once bubbled...
I wonder why the moderators have not responded to the requests to return to two sections?

I understand we can reapply for each NDI club forum, and that you need 10 members for each NDI Club to do so. But I also understand that they have recently changed the "rules", so that even if you have 10 members, the moderators still have "management approval" of all clubs.

Perhaps they could tell us in advance if it is worth the trouble to gather the member information and submit it...

peace,

sapphire

So far as I can see, they have responded....and the answer was what you wrote...Apply/reapply.

(Apparently, it isn't "reapply" [at least in the NorCal sense] since I recall someone stating that no initial application was ever made....I can't figure out why that would make the difference, but.....)

:wink:

"So far as I can see, they have responded....and the answer was what you wrote...Apply/reapply."

I don't believe any moderators have suggest applying for NDI membership, but it seems like the logical solution to me. I did suggest it, but I'm not a moderator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom