Weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I USED A 3MM FARMER JOHN and it needed 19# for it. thats basically 3 mm on the limbs and 6mm on the core. if yours is a normal 7mm then iu would think 30# would do it

So, Ive been lurking for awhile, and finally decided to post. Not some big astounding holy crap moment. But a weight question.

I picked up everything but my wetsuit last week and my store said I needed close to 50 pounds of weight to sink in a 7mm wetsuit. 25 is in my BC and 25 on a belt. Now in my pool I was toolin around the other day in it, and I found 25 to be a little to much, maybe 5 pounds extra. Is a 7mm full wetsuit + gloves, hood boots REALLY 30 pounds to sink? That cant be right because people here are saying they use like 8-10 pounds to sink in a full wet suit.

Or am I just a noob and missing something?

Currently wearing a 5mm Moreno lined suit, gloves, hood, and boots. I add 7 lbs for fresh water and 9 lbs for salt. Now I am diving steel tanks and have a stainless steel backplate.

So if you add 6lbs for the plate that is 15lbs not counting the weight for the tank. I know when my wife andI first started diving we were way over weighted but in the last two years we have improved and learned that proper weighting is really not only what it takes to sink you but what it takes to offset the weight of the gas used during your dive and allow you to maintain a safety stop.

I would have someone help you do a proper weight check, as my wife and I own 60lbs of weight total and that is for back up, to lend if someone needs it and for when we get drysuits.

So, Ive been lurking for awhile, and finally decided to post. Not some big astounding holy crap moment. But a weight question.

I picked up everything but my wetsuit last week and my store said I needed close to 50 pounds of weight to sink in a 7mm wetsuit. 25 is in my BC and 25 on a belt. Now in my pool I was toolin around the other day in it, and I found 25 to be a little to much, maybe 5 pounds extra. Is a 7mm full wetsuit + gloves, hood boots REALLY 30 pounds to sink? That cant be right because people here are saying they use like 8-10 pounds to sink in a full wet suit.

I do think the dive shop waaay overestimated. Many do.
but, there is no way to no what you need until you weight check.
Do you have a place you can shore dive or is it strictly boat diving? Best thing to do is to get a nearly empty tank, find out what it tanks to sink with nearly empty lungs. Make sure you wrap your legs together or keep them from moving in some other fashion.
there are some very good weighting discussions if you look around. I just read a very good, basic one on the GUE Forum.

It sounds to me like the shop has already made plenty of money kitting you out. I doubt that they are going to milk you for the cost of lead. It sounds like you are a little on the heavy side and that can be a factor. I would ask them if you can return the unneeded weights. it is best to show up at the beach with enough lead to make sure you can sink, or you have just wasted your morning. Another easy way to do it is to ask if they will rent you a set of lead for the day and then credit you the cost of the rental when you buy your weights. they want you to be there customer for now and through all your upgrades. If they are a reputable outfit they will help out some one who dropped a grand or two...

50 pounds is considerably more than I have seen anyone need to dive wet but we don't know your build, gear, suit size or what style suit you have coming.

20 pounds in trunks in the pool even sounds a little high too but that may be what you need.

Here are some tips on checking your weight and weighting overall.

Assuming an aluminum cylinder, common jacket BC and 7mm wetsuit John/jacket or full suit & vest something closer to 25 pounds would be typical. Lots of little puts and takes can change this.

Pete

Did anybody else pick up the fact that the OP has gained 100 lbs? So we're dealing with someone who is probably in the 250 to 300 lb range -- that's a LOT of neoprene. I haven't yet had to put 50 lbs of lead on anybody, but we have come close to 40 for a tall, somewhat overweight student. If the OP is at the higher range of weight that I'm thinking of (say, for example, he's a 6' man who would weigh 180 to 200 if at normal body habitus) he may fall WAY outside the bell-shaped curve where most of us think of weighting.

Only a formal weight check can tell for sure.

If somebody uses 25 lbs in a pool, then 50 lbs in the ocean with a 7 mm suit sounds PERFECTLY reasonable (light even).

I've seen a guy using probably 65 lbs in a wetsuit and it looked like he needed it. I helped his instructor get the guy in the water ( he was maybe 400 lbs) but i bailed after that, I didn't want to be around when he tried to get the guy up over the slippery rocks afterward.

Did anybody else pick up the fact that the OP has gained 100 lbs? So we're dealing with someone who is probably in the 250 to 300 lb range -- that's a LOT of neoprene.

I was thinking that myself, and is why I was looking at ways to borrow the lead until proven otherwise. I will assume a doctor cleared him for diving. I had a friend who took dive class with me was 6'4" and weighed in at 240 lbs. He played football for Westpoint. He used a lot of lead too, but I can't remember how much. My guess is we are talking with a big guy who wants to become more active. Diving might be good as it is not as tough on the knees. I wish him all the best.

Thanks for all the info. I bought 25# when I picked up my kit because I figured (right) that I would need atleast that to sink with everything. I was planning on renting more lead for when I hit an OW dive with a suit etc so I can figure out what I actually do need. Just anxious to get wet again.

I suppose I should have put this in my OP, I am 6'4, 250-260lb. When I took my course I was 140. Being 16 and all. I'll edit that in. Now that Im thinking about it, I did sink very fast when I was in the pool, I should have pulled a weight pocket and seen what happened. Aw well, hitting the pool this weekend for my refresher, and then OW dives the weekend after, all will be settled by then!

I wish you luck man, it is frustrating messing with your weighting, but it is super important, not only for your safety, but you enjoyment of the dive rests on it..

Get to a pool and start with your gear on start with 10 per cent of your body weight as a start, then add from there. The 7 mm will be a tough go at first. Wait till you get down south in a 3 mm and see that you hardly need anything comparatively

Back
Top Bottom