Weighting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suppose I should have put this in my OP, I am 6'4, 250-260lb. When I took my course I was 140. Being 16 and all.

Sounds like me, I was 6'7" and certified at 16. I weighed in at 160 and was one tall drink of water. filled out much later. I think you were being grossly over weighted. I dive with 24lbs with a 5 mm wetsuit and weigh in at 215 lbs. unless the extra weight is in the form of a giant swim appendage/bladder I think the dive shop manager was over estimating. I think renting a belt for your open water is a good idea. From what I have seen of integrated weight pockets, you really can't put more than about 24 lbs in and have them stay (I can hear the catapults readying to sling comments my way).

Thanks for all the info. I bought 25# when I picked up my kit because I figured (right) that I would need atleast that to sink with everything. I was planning on renting more lead for when I hit an OW dive with a suit etc so I can figure out what I actually do need. Just anxious to get wet again.

I suppose I should have put this in my OP, I am 6'4, 250-260lb. When I took my course I was 140. Being 16 and all. I'll edit that in. Now that Im thinking about it, I did sink very fast when I was in the pool, I should have pulled a weight pocket and seen what happened. Aw well, hitting the pool this weekend for my refresher, and then OW dives the weekend after, all will be settled by then!

For a reference point, my oldest son is 6-2 and 260, he needs 32 in s/w in 7MM. He started at 36 and dropped 4 as he became more skilled. Many instructors just add lead until the student sinks regardless of other issues and this tends to overweight new divers. My other son, who actually is a bit smaller (5-10 / 220) was started with 44lbs using this method (he was nervous, fining and probably had air in his BCD / suit. He was able to drop 10lbs once we worked on his issues outside of class and another 2lbs over time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom