My wife won't sink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have not read all answers, but it might be a techniqueissue. Here is what solved it for me.
(Me-> very buoyant woman…)

Proper decent!

Usually people are taught "Exhale, empty bcd, decend" without being told that order is important!

1. INHALE - Hold your breath (Yes, you are on the surface, completely safe)

2. Empty drysuit while holding your breath

3. Empty BCD while holding your breath (You will still be floating... )

4. Cross your legs (You might be inadvertantly be swimming to keep balance...)

5. Exhale while leaning a little bit forward

The result of this will be that you are 3m+ below and horizontal before you feel the urge to breathe, and hence, you will be able to stay under when you inhale instead of popping to the surface again.

This gave me the calm that I needed to start my dive properly. No stress. No fuzz. Properly weighted!

ORDER is relevant!

I'm just interested in seeing someone in a drysuit not require and lead regardless of kit... just wow
Faber mp100 doubles and a 3mm backplate I'm actually overweighted in undergarments warm enough for summertime BC water.

Faber mp100 doubles and a 3mm backplate I'm actually overweighted in undergarments warm enough for summertime BC water.
But her statement was no lead regardless of kit... doubled 100s and I'm heavy. Single 100 and I need 30 lbs.

But her statement was no lead regardless of kit... doubled 100s and I'm heavy. Single 100 and I need 30 lbs.
I don't understand. This implies a single steel 100 weighs more than 30 lbs in the water. Hard to believe.

I don't understand. This implies a single steel 100 weighs more than 30 lbs in the water. Hard to believe.
I have no idea, I'm just throwing BS out there. I do need 30 with my 100 though for my own comfort.

She's probably holding her breath along with not fully deflating her air spaces. Our lungs hold about 10lbs of lift capacity and it's extremely common for newer divers, especially with high anxiety/nerves, prevent the descent from happening because they are afraid to let all the air out of their lungs. Sure, you can throw weight at it, but once underwater and nerves are calm, the diver will be extremely overweight.

I would recommend finding a nice, calm and shallow area to spend time strictly working on descents/ascents. Once the diver is calm and "gets" the process of a descent, you should be able to start shedding the weight.

The only way you know for sure is figure out how much it takes to sink at the end of the dive with 500psi in the tank. That just requires a place and time to test it out.

The weighting threads are always interesting -- people just need different amounts sometimes, and you can't always tell by looking at someone whether they will need more or less.

You're certain?
1721826577866.png

Back
Top Bottom