Weakling needs tips for torque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings guys (I assume you're mostly guys). Are you able to come to the aid of a "damsel in distress"? What is distressing me is that every time I settle down to service regs, I have the WORST trouble with the yoke nut! It's actually two problems:

1) Getting it off--I don't have the strength to loosen it without a ton of effort and unladylike swearing.
2) Getting it tightened to torque--putting enough pressure on the torque wrench to get it to "click" is frustratingly difficult, and it hurts!

It's reg servicing time, and I'm groaning inwardly at the thought of dealing with the frickin' yoke nut. Any tips?

Put a piece of tubing on the wrench for leverage.

How will that help?

I haven't been using a vise, but that might be my next strategy--then I can use two hands/arms to pull and push on the wrench.... I'm already all achy and pissed off working on the first reg....

Increases lever. Physics 101.

Bat your eyes, show some cleavage, and get a guy to do that part? :D

Or use a vise and a "cheater bar" (pipe or tube slid over the wrench handle to make it efectively longer, thus increasing leverage)

And say Phuket a lot!

Cheater bar is the solution. Just be very careful as you can apply way more torque than you realize. It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to have a rule that you only use a cheater bar with an appropriately set torque wrench.

"Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I will move the earth." ~ Archimedes

Increases lever. Physics 101.
Sorry, but that's simply not a clear answer and is entirely useless as a response. Putting a piece of tubing over a wrench that already has an 18-inch long handle will not increase leverage as I learned the concept in my own physics classes. Now if you can stop being demeaning by suggesting it's elementary and have something constructive to offer that doesn't involve talking down to me, please do so.

Bat your eyes, show some cleavage, and get a guy to do that part? :D

Or use a vise and a "cheater bar" (pipe or tube slid over the wrench handle to make it efectively longer, thus increasing leverage)

And say Phuket a lot!

At the moment the torque wrench is lying on the workbench waiting until tomorrow when I can wrangle some guy to help (a smile is generally sufficient enticement, happily) but I'd rather not have to leave stuff half done.

Oh, and Phuket is pronounced Pooh-Ket, so I have to use ordinary swear words.

Cheater bar is the solution. Just be very careful as you can apply way more torque than you realize. It wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to have a rule that you only use a cheater bar with an appropriately set torque wrench.

"Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I will move the earth." ~ Archimedes

I've got an excellent torque wrench, and I doubt I could apply way more torque than I realize since I can't get the thing to click at the stipulated torque value at all. Archimedes is all theory--in practice I'm still frustrated. Well, I guess I'd better go practice eyelash batting, while figuring out how to make/attach a cheater bar to my wrench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom