How to restore a Scubapro D300, D350 & D400: Theory and Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are the initial posts as a series of PDF's, to make it easier to navigate.
I appreciate all your support.

EDIT: corrected Service Guide uploaded 11/27
Really a great job.
However this stuff confirms to me in the choice to stay away from the modern regs and to continue relying on my beloved SP 109 (upgraded to BA), which by comparison are truly simple to service.

20210815_073244r.jpg

Similar idea. Marked ITALY and SCUBAPRO and PAT. PEND.

Really a great job.
However this stuff confirms to me in the choice to stay away from the modern regs and to continue relying on my beloved SP 109 (upgraded to BA), which by comparison are truly simple to service.
That’s kind of funny, the D’s being discussed are a long way from being “modern” the only modern D is the 420 and it’s performance is so good that I’ve all but given up on inline designs except as safe seconds. The 420 is very easy to service but it is more complicated than the things developed in the 60’s :wink:

I was also in the inline balanced camp for years and sat out the center balance poppet era, until now. The D420 is my preferred second stage it’s not dead simple but neither is it’s performance, the D400 et-al are pretty amazing performers and my main gripe with them (other than general parts availability) is the “rubber” diaphragm cover, I bet @James79 could print out a two piece cover that would/could get a lot of these old beasts back in service.:)

Well, learned something new (duh!).

When expecting to struggle with pulling the case off a gnarly old D, I'd left the hose on while I took a preliminary look at the condition of the valve inside.

To my surprise, the stiff case came off easily, because the hose acted as a handle against which I could pull. My new plan? Always leave the hose on until the case is gone. I'll edit the post above.

Back
Top Bottom