Weakling needs tips for torque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Increase the one that is shorter first.

If you're not using a vise, how do you hold the reg?

Me I'm not a big guy, and I usually get by using the boot method: put the reg on a carpeted floor, step on it with my left foot, find a good angle that lets me use my muscle and my weight on the wrench. That's with the wrench nearly horizontal.

DA-Foot.jpg

If that doesn't work, maybe you're having a case of corroded or otherwise badly stuck retainer. Try a little soaking.

Or in other words the force at same distance on the nut/wrench side and on the regulator/handle are the same. So if you increase the lever on one side it doesn't help much as you are still having issue with the side that has shortest lever (esp if you are holding it in your hand, if it is in the vise you effectively put "whole earth" as a lever on one hand and you have wrench side of the lever on your side.

Increasing the length of the handle of the wrench won't help unless you hold the the part of the regulator that is fastened to the other side of the fastener. You must hold the body of the regulator with as much force as you apply to the nut. Devise a method to hold the body of the regulator without damaging the body of the regulator. Also remember that you will have better results using the torque wrench when you pull the handle toward you instead of pushing the handle away.

DC

It will if it's a 36" piece of tubing on an 18" wrench.

In any case, I'd only use a cheater bar on parts I'm going to throw away after disassembly. I'd never feel comfortable sending out a part rated for 40 ft/lbs torque after it's had 200/ft lbs+.

flots.

Oh, it's a vocabulary thing, maybe. To me "tubing" is made of flexible material like rubber or silicone. The word I use for what many of you seem to be describing is "pipe" --rigid and made of metal, pvc or other hard material. So a PVC pipe to fit over the regulator handle and one to fit over the wrench handle?

Or find a guy to loan me his muscle....

Or try a vise.

I think for now the vise idea is the simplest.

Sorry, but that's simply not a clear answer and is entirely useless as a response. Putting a piece of tubing over a wrench that already has an 18-inch long handle will not increase leverage as I learned the concept in my own physics classes. Now if you can stop being demeaning by suggesting it's elementary and have something constructive to offer that doesn't involve talking down to me, please do so.

Reread the physics book. Extending the handle length will decrease the force YOU need to apply. but you really need a vice or something else that will hold the regulator steady. Then you will be able to use 2 hands and may not need the added leverage.

What is the 1st stage. Balanced piston 1sts allow a number of options besides a vise.

I really think your problem is not securing the reg in a vise. Most yoke nuts only call for 20-30 ft lbs with is not much at all and should an easy one handed torque for any adult. Granted there will be the occasional one that is stuck or some nutcase cranked down on it but if you are doing your own regs, that should not normally be an issue.

Maybe you need to re-evaluate the approach you are using. First, secure the reg in a vise using reg holding tools or proper sized bolts (I know some of you don't like steal bolts). The vise itself must also be securely mounted. Using as short of an extension as you can (assuming you are using a socket), place one hand on the torque wrench head and the other on the grip. That position will give even a small adult an easy 75 to 80 ft-lb’s of torque.

An alternate method of holding some regs (Apeks like designs) is to make a wood box that the reg just fits in and use it in place of the vise...it too will need to be secured, a large "C" clamp will do.

Reread the physics book. Extending the handle length will decrease the force YOU need to apply. but you really need a vice or something else that will hold the regulator steady. Then you will be able to use 2 hands and may not need the added leverage.
I don't need to reread the physics book. I know the theory. It's the practical application that I'm struggling with. I'm not strong enough to apply the amount of force necessary while holding the regulator with one hand and pulling the wrench with the other. The length of the lever is determined by the length of my reach. Therefore, a vise makes the most sense because I can increase my own distance from the object I'm trying to dislodge. I was hoping there was some other way beyond going out to get a special vise, but apparently there isn't.

I really think your problem is not securing the reg in a vise. Most yoke nuts only call for 20-30 ft lbs with is not much at all and should an easy one handed torque for any adult. Granted there will be the occasional one that is stuck or some nutcase cranked down on it but if you are doing your own regs, that should not normally be an issue.
Actually, the specs say 266 inch-lbs. And I don't find it an easy one handed torque despite the fact that I'm not a little girl.

Thank you all. You've done your best--it's a question of getting the right tools rather than some technique I wasn't applying. So off I go tomorrow to get a vise (sigh).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom