Weakling needs tips for torque

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turning the 18 inch handle into a 24 or 36 inch handle will help (if you don't "choke up"). A vise or something similar to hold the other piece will keep you from supplying the reaction torque.

Be aware that an ill fitting cheater bar can be dangerous, so use caution.

Sorry, but that's simply not a clear answer and is entirely useless as a response. Putting a piece of tubing over a wrench that already has an 18-inch long handle will not increase leverage as I learned the concept in my own physics classes. Now if you can stop being demeaning by suggesting it's elementary and have something constructive to offer that doesn't involve talking down to me, please do so.

Quero, I added the link with explanation how adding a piece of tubing to extend the wrench will increase the lever in the post immediately followed that one.

The issue you might have is that you might hold reg in one hand and apply wrench with other. In this case you didn't increase lever on the side you use mere hand. So you need to do so on the regulator side. There are handles that screw into the regulator port you can use for increasing the lever there.

Putting a piece of tubing over a wrench that already has an 18-inch long handle will not increase leverage as I learned the concept in my own physics classes.

It will if it's a 36" piece of tubing on an 18" wrench.

In any case, I'd only use a cheater bar on parts I'm going to throw away after disassembly. I'd never feel comfortable sending out a part rated for 40 ft/lbs torque after it's had 200/ft lbs+.

flots.

Sorry, but that's simply not a clear answer and is entirely useless as a response. Putting a piece of tubing over a wrench that already has an 18-inch long handle will not increase leverage as I learned the concept in my own physics classes. Now if you can stop being demeaning by suggesting it's elementary and have something constructive to offer that doesn't involve talking down to me, please do so.

Ah I get the confusion.

A cheater bar is a pipe of inside diameter slightly larger than the handle you're trying to extend, and with much greater length. It fits over the handle and basically acts as a handle extension. So if you've got an 18" handle and use a 24" pipe, you've now got a 24" handle to press on instead of an 18". Not enough? Use a 30" pipe :).

You should be able to get a handle long enough that you can only have to apply mild pressure to make it move.

I've got an excellent torque wrench, and I doubt I could apply way more torque than I realize since I can't get the thing to click at the stipulated torque value at all. Archimedes is all theory--in practice I'm still frustrated. Well, I guess I'd better go practice eyelash batting, while figuring out how to make/attach a cheater bar to my wrench.

You need to increase lever on the side where it is the least. If you are holding regulator in your hand and have wrench on the other side (nut part) you should have sufficient lever on the later but not enough on the former. Perhaps use regulator handle and if you already do, use pipe to increase its length. Basically the key is to increase length of the lever where it is the shortest right now.

Turning the 18 inch handle into a 24 or 36 inch handle will help (if you don't "choke up"). A vise or something similar to hold the other piece will keep you from supplying the reaction torque.

Be aware that an ill fitting cheater bar can be dangerous, so use caution.
If I need to place the 1st stage in a vise anyway (since my arms won't be long enough to both hold the first stage down with one hand and pull the lengthened wrench handle with the other), I'll try the vise with the bare wrench first and see if that works. I was wishfully hoping there was some ridiculously easy technique that didn't require a lot of muscle, but I guess there isn't.

Ah I get the confusion.

A cheater bar is a pipe of inside diameter slightly larger than the handle you're trying to extend, and with much greater length. It fits over the handle and basically acts as a handle extension. So if you've got an 18" handle and use a 24" pipe, you've now got a 24" handle to press on instead of an 18". Not enough? Use a 30" pipe :).

You should be able to get a handle long enough that you can only have to apply mild pressure to make it move.

Off to the hardware store tomorrow, then, to look for an appropriate pipe as well as an appropriate vise.

How do you hold the body of the reg in place when applying wrench?

Archimedes is not just theory if your lever is long enough you do not require a lot of muscle at all. The longer the lever less muscle is required.

You need to increase lever on the side where it is the least. If you are holding regulator in your hand and have wrench on the other side (nut part) you should have sufficient lever on the later but not enough on the former. Perhaps use regulator handle and if you already do, use pipe to increase its length. Basically the key is to increase length of the lever where it is the shortest right now.

I'm using a regulator handle that screws into a HP port on the first stage to hold the reg down onto the bench, and the wrench is on the nut side. Are you saying to increase the length of the regulator handle rather than the wrench handle?

Back
Top Bottom