Scuba Clinic Tools quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Experience still doesn't keep you out of trouble...

While working on the Deep6 Excursion manual for @LandonL , I was photographing the use of a broached hook spanner that accepts my torque wrench. The Scubatools #6 with a 0.156" pin worked perfectly for manual tightening, but they only sell a #5 with a torque wrench broach. When I switched to my 40mm Scuba Clinic Tools C-spanner, the 3.9mm pin would not enter smoothly due to the slight difference in diameter of the reg body compared with the 40mm arc of the spanner.

So I switched to a 3.3mm pin which had slight, but (IMO) insignificant slop, and began torquing. As I approached 30Nm, and despite putting pressure on the pin to prevent skipping, the pin bent, the spanner skipped, and I spalled the brass of the demo regulator that Deep6 had sent me! Count me upset!
20230227_152637.jpg

It is clear from the bend in the photo that this is not high strength steel, and I would caution folks against using this tool until SCT changes their specifications. I suspect that a country west of the United States is supplying Scuba Clinic Tools with this item. I have contacted them regarding this problem and will let you know what they say.

I'll see if Bruce will consider ginning up a #6 spanner with a torque broach like he has the #5. It is clear that Scubatools has the better product. I've never had a bent pin from Scubatools.

Glad I got mine from scubatools.

Can we get a demo reg.

Until Bruce comes up with a #6 with a torque broach, please consider this workaround:

It gives you an excuse to go out and buy a Makita grinder and some metal cutoff blades. :D

I just received the following responses from both Scubatools and Scuba Clinic Tools.

One way or the other, it looks like we have a solution coming.

From Bruce at Scubatools:
Wow Robert,
Just this afternoon I drew up a cheater like you recommended and I am ordering a couple of cutting tools tomorrow.
I will probably order material tomorrow as well.
As soon as I get one done I will send you one.
Thanks
Bruce

From Scuba Clinic Tools:
Dear Robert,
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused. We appreciate your feedback RE the issue and have to admit that this is a first for the pins.
We did run a test on a 3.3mm pin and indeed it bent at 30Nm. However, our spanner did not jump.
Can you please specify the regulator you were working on that required such a torque value (brand and model + recommended torque). Please do send a picture for our reference.
We shortened the length of the pin a little in order to reduce the 'lever arm' of the pin and found the bending to be less. So still not a solution for the 3.3mm pin.
We admit that we have not specified a max torque value for the pins and will do so in the near future. We personally feel that 30Nm is too much for a pin of such a small diameter.
We will look into higher strength bolts to modify for pins + shorten the pins but it we will have to strike a balance as well e.g. don't expect the smaller pins (3mm or less) to be able to endure such high forces. The max torque specified for the c-spanners itself if 50Nm.
Can we ask you as well for you to inform us what size pins you'd use with their max torque values so we can evaluate if your needs can be met.

In the mean time we'll order some higher grade bolts and once they arrive we'll modify them and run some tests. If satisfactory we'll send you some replacements."

Well, Scuba Clinic Tools was as good as their word! I just received three new pins for my Scuba Clinic Tools hook spanners, after bending that one 3.3mm pin.
The Company says that these are in high strength steel and have been tested to the 30Nm limit I asked for in torquing a diaphragm clamp. They also shortened the pin slightly to decrease the lever arm.
I retract anything negative I said about a company that turned out to be very responsive to my concern.
IMG_20230513_194939.jpg

Also of note, Bruce at Scubatools indicates that his version of my Hook Spanner Torque Cheater for his hook spanners are now starting production.
Expect to see something like it soon!

One way or the other, we'll now be able to reliably torque diaphragm clamps that aren't spec'ed at just "metal to metal contact".

Isn't this just in general why the complete surround tool that Scuba Clinic Tools is more reliable, because it cannot skip out as the turret is inside the hole in the tool?

The hook spanners have been around for a while, but you have to switch away from them to get a lot of properly corroded MK-2 style regs apart, that some techs still insist on assembling without properly lubing the threads on the piston cap. I ended up having to use a swiveling hook, rather than a pin on those to get enough leverage to break the corrosion.

And you can usually see where the fixed radius pin style has damaged the holes when earlier techs tried to open them Rather than the swiveling arm hook, which clamps itself down securely.

Well, Scuba Clinic Tools was as good as their word! I just received three new pins for my Scuba Clinic Tools hook spanners, after bending that one 3.3mm pin.
The Company says that these are in high strength steel and have been tested to the 30Nm limit I asked for in torquing a diaphragm clamp. They also shortened the pin slightly to decrease the lever arm.
I retract anything negative I said about a company that turned out to be very responsive to my concern.
View attachment 783429

Also of note, Bruce at Scubatools indicates that his version of my Hook Spanner Torque Cheater for his hook spanners are now starting production.
Expect to see something like it soon!

One way or the other, we'll now be able to reliably torque diaphragm clamps that aren't spec'ed at just "metal to metal contact".

I have been ordering from them for quite a few years, met them a few times too, good people. I've had issues with 3 tools, IIRC, over that time out of multiples of ten.

Their response and speed at fixing/addressing issues is beyond reproach.

Mistakes happen, it's how those mistakes are dealt with that means the most to me.

FWIW I have zero hesitation in recommending them🙏🏻

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom