Torque Wrench Fitting for SP Mk11 cap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know of a good way to torque the Scubapro Mk11 cap? I put a pin spanner in the cap hole, but don't have a spanner that fits on my torque wrench. I used a luggage scale through the Scubapro universal tool, where it has holes that accepted my scale at 3" and 4" from the end. But after hand tightening it to roughly where I thought it should be, putting 40# on my luggage scale at 4" out only gets me 160 in-lb, or half what is required. It felt like going to 80# would be just too tight. I feel that it's pretty important to have correct compression on the diaphragm edges. Scubapro specifies 35 Nm.

And keeping the pin spanner in the cap was really difficult. The holes are right against the reg body, so a standard pin spanner is too wide. On top of that, the cap holes are canted slightly. The whole evolution was very frustrating.

Looking around the web, I saw castle nut torque fittings that might work, but no indication of sizing.

To the certified ScubaPro techs, how does ScubaPro say you should do it???????

How about this?

That's a thought! The end would need some Dremel work.

McMaster-Carr

square drive adjustable face spanner
McM always seems to have what you need. I just haven found it yet. This one is perfect for a face spanner, but with the Mk11, the holes are at right angles to those pins. And really, not exactly right angles. That's why I can't use the castle nut fitting.

I have an email in to René Dupré at Scubapro, but I don't really expect a reply.

Do a google search for "hook spanner torque fitting" or "torque adapter for hook spanner".

Perhaps one of these will work for you:

AMF Hook wrench with hinge and cam for torque wrench no. 776 Md
pre116371.jpg

amf Adjustable C-hook spanner, for torque wrench with square pin
im1200_b628520.jpg

-Z

Then of course there is the correct tool for the job:

Diaphragm Retainer Socket For Scubapro MK11
DIAPHRAGM RETAINER SOCKET FOR SCUBAPRO MK11

$26.90

0796_5_large.jpg

0796_1_large.jpg

The website states out of stock but if you buy a big enough socket, especially an impact socket which are typically softer/less brittle than silver colored chrome vanadium steel sockets, it can be drilled and tapped to accept set screws like in the picture. And will have the square drive needed for the torque wrench already machined into it.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom