warm water drysuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that clearly he is trying to expand the market AWAY from "technical" diving whatever that may consist of and move into a broader segment of scuba divers who may travel and experience a variety of air/water temperatures and needs. To me, 70 degree water temps is cold enough I would consider strongly a drysuit if it were priced competitve to a wetsuit and light and flexible. Once the water temp hits the 80s though I would probably not use one unless there were other factors but then again I might, if it is light and thin and super flexible and form fitting--maybe--oh--and I don't have to lead up. N

DiveJedi:
Where exactly is here......just winter? No market for it in the summer?

We may well do that....
The springs divers might be interested year round but for the ocean divers in south Florida it would be something to keep people diving year round, and here (being east central Florida coast) the ocean temps are so unpredictable that a lot of the hunters would be interested for a large portion of the year.

With the right marketing and price point I could even see rental dry suits in south Florida for vacationers who want to make more dives during winter vacations.

Thanks for your direct answer, duelly noted.

Mad Scientist:
As a rec diver who dives a dry suit in cold water. I have no interest in diving dry in warm water. I want to feel the water that is the whole point of being in the water.

Mad Scientist:
As a rec diver who dives a dry suit in cold water. I have no interest in diving dry in warm water. I want to feel the water that is the whole point of being in the water.
The question is what is warm water? I’m happy in my wetsuit for one dive on a sunny warm day if the water’s above 74, but if it’s cold out of the water or I’m doing many dives during the day it becomes too cold for a wet suit.

Mad Scientist:

I also dive dry in cold water, but wet in warm. Wet is less bother, and you can pee in it if you get cold. :11: Some dive boats in the tropics have no facilities. Some I would dive my dry suit up into the low 70's, since I don't have a heavy wet suit and get cold easily. I don't really see a very large market, if the water is warm enough to get by with a 3mm or 5mm or 3mm+hooded vest, and there are already a couple of tropical drysuit competitors there.

I think there could be a market for a warm water dry suit if it didn't cost much more than a wetsuit. I assume by warm water you mean somewhere you would typically wear 3mm.

I think the difficult thing for me would be packability. Since I live in SoCal, all my warm water diving is on vacation so I would have to pack it. If I couldn't get it in about the same packing space as a wetsuit, I would go wetsuit. Packing space is premium when I travel.

My wife gets cold faster than I do, so I think she would sacrifice some packing space if she had to.

I have been shopping for exactly what you describe. My difficulty is in finding an opportunity to at least try on a few options instead of having to buy sight unseen.

I dive recreationally only, but with a very long term plan to change that. Like most of my buddies, we find the winter diving here very cold and yet still have every intention of diving in the winter. For many of us, a dry suit that you describe (especially if you make a female version) would be a great solution.

I think a $699 dry suit would go over really well here in S. Florida. I don't personally care about "feeling the water" - I prefer to be comfortable. When I do 2 - 1 hour dives in 72 degree water... that's cold. I usually put on my clx-450 this time of year, and wear it until late April or May even. Something lighter weight would be fantastic, and I don't do any "technical" diving.

I can pack this suit in the same space as my full 1 piece 5mm wetsuit.
:icoeek:
pupdiver:
I think there could be a market for a warm water dry suit if it didn't cost much more than a wetsuit. I assume by warm water you mean somewhere you would typically wear 3mm.

I think the difficult thing for me would be packability. Since I live in SoCal, all my warm water diving is on vacation so I would have to pack it. If I couldn't get it in about the same packing space as a wetsuit, I would go wetsuit. Packing space is premium when I travel.

My wife gets cold faster than I do, so I think she would sacrifice some packing space if she had to.

here ya go....we have added a zipper cover since this picture....

thoughts??

303730923_ec7169d5e7_m.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom