warm water drysuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The type of undergarment to use is a very good question....When I dove it here in local waters, the biggest thing that restricted my movement was not the suit but the fleece underneath...Granted I was diving in 48 degree water.

So we are developing an ultra light, but warm fleecy "skin" so to speak that you would wear underneath.
Doc Intrepid:
Specifically what type of undergarment do you envision being worn beneath this suit? Fleece? Thinsulate laminate?

Very good question regarding soft sox....many people have suggested this, so we will probably have an option for sox or no sox....

As mentioned in my previos reply...I dove that suit in 48 degree water.....but if you want to take advantge of what the suit is designed to do...you need an ultra warm flexible thermals....but there is lots of room for the thermals....This suit stretches.

terrasmak:
I'm just wondering what temp range this suit would be for, and would dry socks be an option. One less seal to replace .

Another beauty of this suit that a lot of people are interested in, is the fact that you could potentially put sport plugs in place of the valves....which means, that you could surf, or do your favorite surface sport one day and then dive it the next day.....
:)

I’m a salt tropical diver, one of the dozen or so people here that miss snow and I’d look into it. I become acclimated enough I get cold now and tried on the stretchy 5ml wetsuits. Gained a lot of admiration for people that need a 7ml, I have no clue how they can stand it. Couldn’t bear a 5ml. , settled for a core warmer and in the summer was thinking about a skin.
As a previous mountain sports person I miss the adaptability to condition what I’m assuming diving dry can accomplish. (And wishing I had a use now for the extensive collection of insulation I cannot part with – they were my closest friends for many years.) I like the idea of a basic shell with variable insulation but not if it isn’t flexible, love my hyperstretch and won’t consider a standard wetsuit.
I too thought about the abuse, lava here is downright brutal. I’ve no desire to go the shorty route and drip blood on my way out. I’m worried about destroying a drysuit when the same situation would just fuzz my wetsuit and bruise my shins. I looked at the grid, how much extra are all those pads and pockets going to cost? I’d have to be able to don it solo. The whole seals issue worries me, don’t tolerate constriction well and cheap, lightweight little booties and garden gloves suit me well (it's all about the lava.)
I’ve never even seen a drysuit so it would be hard to commit blind so to say. I guess breathability has come a long way to use it submerged, would defiantly like to check this one out eye to eye. Do you have any stats on how long the fabric remains waterproof in use?

Mad Scientist:
As a rec diver who dives a dry suit in cold water. I have no interest in diving dry in warm water. I want to feel the water that is the whole point of being in the water.

As a wreck diver that dives dry in cold water, I can tell you that I have no interest in GETTING WET and would surely dive dry in warm water if at all possible.

The point of diving is to "get where the stuff to see is" no need to get wet.

:)

I'd be very interested in one of these (actually 2, one for the Mrs. too) but ONLY if you make them big.... very big. None of the drysuit manufacturers seem to want to make these things big enough to fit non-skinny divers!

As a Floridian, it definitely gets way too cold here in the winter (like below 80!) to dive wet. There is definitely a huge market for an inexpensive suit down here. Most of Floridians I dive with give cost as the biggest reason for not diving dry in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom