warm water drysuit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill51:
I dive my trilam dry suit whenever I’m on a smaller boat with out a heated cabin and the air temp is too chilly to want to sit around wet after a dive. I’ve never considered my dry suit that bulky compared to packing a thick farmer john and I dive it wearing a polartech skin and sweat shirt many times in water in the 70s.

Sounds like a good price point.
Thats my solution as well...
If your in a trilam, all the warmth comes from whats under the suit, not the suit itself..

I'd be interested in that.

For cave diving I use a DUI CLX 450, but it is pricey.

Something that was light weight, could handle the abuse of technical diving and was in the 600 to 700 dollar range?

Sure.

Jeff

Thanks N...that is precisely what I am asking....we have the suit, at the price, with the flexibility....the question is...

Is there a market for it?

As a non-tropical diver manufacturing suits in a non-tropical area, we don't have a lot of access to divers that typically dive in wetsuits.

My ears are open, you have my full attention.

Good point....in your opinion, what area of your suits takes the most abuse as a technical diver?

jtoorish:
I'd be interested in that.

For cave diving I use a DUI CLX 450, but it is pricey.

Something that was light weight, could handle the abuse of technical diving and was in the 600 to 700 dollar range?

Sure.

Jeff

Bring some down here this winter and put on a demo days and we’ll give you plenty of feedback – and maybe even a few sales as well.

Where exactly is here......just winter? No market for it in the summer?

We may well do that....

Bill51:
Bring some down here this winter and put on a demo days and we’ll give you plenty of feedback – and maybe even a few sales as well.

DiveJedi:
Thanks N...that is precisely what I am asking....we have the suit, at the price, with the flexibility....the question is...

Is there a market for it?

As a non-tropical diver manufacturing suits in a non-tropical area, we don't have a lot of access to divers that typically dive in wetsuits.

My ears are open, you have my full attention.

Ok... so yeah... I have a clx 450 as well, and it is a little bulky. A lighter weight suit would be nice, if the price was comparable to that of a wetsuit I'd consider getting a lighter weight DS.

DiveJedi:
You better run Doc :sharkattack: .....I know DUI makes a great suit, but I'm talking about an MSRP of $699!
Hmmmmm, for that MSRP I might be inclined to buy one myself. That's something I would be interested in seeing.

The problem from your point of view is not whether there is a market or not, as there clearly is one, but is it a large enough market to make investing in the product worthwhile?

Like Floater says, even for dedicated mixed gas divers, most really warm ocean guys prefer wetsuits. Then too, the majority of guys who dive double steels with trimix in cold ocean environments don't often take their doubles with them on vacation - they wind up diving more standard recreational profiles during their warm ocean vacations. (Not to mention that helium mixes and chamber rides and proximities can be more problematic in many remote resort destinations...)

So, with the exception of anomalous data points some 3 standard deviations from the mean consisting of recreational warm ocean divers who simply get really cold even in warm ocean, the bulk of your potential market consists of either technical mixed gas divers who happen to live where there is warm ocean (and go real deep), or technical mixed gas divers who are willing to pay to ship their rebreathers and gear from wherever they live to warm ocean remote destinations.

I have no empirical evidence regarding how large that market segment is, but I do understand that technical diving is a smallish segment of the overall scuba market; thus, this represents a yet smaller sub-set of a smallish sub-set of the overall scuba market. I suspect it might come down to how many units you would need to sell each period in order to make the prospect profitable.

But for that MSRP, I certainly would be willing to give it a try! :wink:

Doc

As a rec diver who dives a dry suit in cold water. I have no interest in diving dry in warm water. I want to feel the water that is the whole point of being in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom