Vortoberfest VI - After Action Pics & Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got one dive in at morrison. My truck put the end to any more dives. But is was fun to hang out & meet more people this time & watch the fun.

though I will say that I found the chicken dance rather disturbing...

IMG_1294a.jpg

IMG_1309a.jpg

IMG_1291a.jpg

IMG_1313a.jpg

IMG_1315a.jpg

IMG_1300a.jpg

IMG_1301a.jpg

IMG_1304a.jpg

IMG_1303a.jpg

IMG_1305a.jpg

IMG_1306a.jpg

IMG_1307a.jpg

IMG_1317a.jpg

IMG_1321a.jpg

Had great dives today with the gang at Morrison! Squid, his wife, and myself just finished eating some damn tasty BBQ at 4C BBQ here in Ponce De Leon! Their loaded brisket fries are to die for! Can't wait to see everyone! Weather is PERFECT! So come down for the fun!
Carolyn:shark2:
Sooo.., this is what you was typing while I was shoving Chipotle ribs and pulled pork in my face!

It was really nice to meet all you guys last year. Sorry I couldn't make it all the way out from Calif. this year. This is the one-year anniversary for two very special people where Vortex will always have a place in their history.
You all have a great time!
Sorry y'all couldn't make it this year. We could have dived again, but, this time I didn't have any injuries. :D

Oh there was plenty of diving, eating and drinking to be had!! Just leave the dancing out of it shall we, unless I wasn't involved :D
You have nothing to worry over. You got an A+ in conduct this year.
A REAL Lady, if I do say so! :)

Nice pics Hetland! Jason, chow was great as always. Dude, the turkey was so juicy and tender, it melted in my mouth!
drooling.gif

Here's my "short" report: On arrival at Vortex, we didn't get 200yds. down the drive when we run upon 3 teens with their car, nose down in the ditch. All were OK, but I never heard such a lame excuse; "I tried to dodge a squirrel". A lady pulled up behind us and offered to call the Sheriff for them, which resulted in a littany of, "Oh no, that won't be necessary, uhmmm, my dad is on the way, and uhhh, he has a wrecker, and uhh, his car was stolen, so I was bringing this car from an , uhmmm, auction to him and blah, blah, blah". So me and Mrs. Squid head on in to set up camp. Jason and Sharklady met us at our site and help out. We told them about the teens in the ditch. Jason described them to a "T", and told us about the teens shenangins just a little earlier (Arguing amongst themselves and about to come to fisticuffs). The next morning we all (Jason, Carolyn, Net Doc, Mselanaous, Denise, wjeffries, and I) headed out for a dive at Morrisons. It was a nice day and a good dive was had. A pretty good crew if I do say so myself. It looked like a train heading down the hole to the cavern. :D After the dive, Mrs. Squid, Carolyn, and myself went to 4C's Bar-B-Que and I wasted myself on some VERY good food. After that I was worthless for the rest of the day. Wayward Son and his wife arrived later that evening and I helped a tad to get his site set up as it was turning dark rapidly. The next morning, Stu , his wife (Joyce), Divingin, and I went for an early dive at Morrisons. Stu already commented on his dive and Mark (Divingin) and I finned around the basin awhile and watched some students doing their CESAs for certification. A quick dash back to camp and it was off to PC for Stu, me, and our wives to eat some seafood and get some Nitrox fills at Pat's new shop. Just as we pulled in to the diner, Stu's truck gave up it's ghost. We gave it a quick look over and decided to eat. When that was accomplished, we checked the truck out. Water was flowing out of the right/front intake manifold as fast as we could put it in. We dropped the women folk off to shop while we went to get some water jugs and some stop leak just for giggles. The stop leak didn't help. We then headed off to Pat's and filled the jugs, got our tanks filled, (Nice to meet you Pat, and thanks a bunch. You're a scholar and a Gentleman!) and then chanced heading back to Vortex, which required a stop on the side of the road to refill the cooling system. That truck made it. :shocked2: I didn't think it would. That night, well..., just check the pics and video when they get posted! Breakfast the next morning was awesome as usual. I did learn that I can NOT use my grill to cook bacon. Jason questioned that, but was nice enough to not laugh at me. Stu's skillet to the rescue. Anyway, those 4 burned strips of carbon was intentional; they were for the bottom of the plate to soak up the grease.:popcorn:
I was late breaking camp and getting out of Vortex. I got home a couple hours ago and everything is still packed in the truck except leftover perishables. Tomorrow looks like fun.:shakehead:
Bugman, Kevin, Flightlead, Hetland, NetDoc, Tom, Moondog, Denise, Jason, Walter, Larry, Mselanaous, Johnny, Eduardo, Stu, Joyce, Kraken, and please forgive me if I forget anyone which I'm sure I have (it's late and I'm Tired), it was great as always and looking forward to the next time AGAIN! :) Uncle Rick, damn, I didn't get to say howdy the whole weekend. Next time!
Mark, condolences on the loss of your Grandmother. It must've been heavy on you during the weekend. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and the family.

Here's a couple pics I got off Mrs. Squid's camera. I'll have to wait to develope a few from my POS, IF they come out OK.
DSCN0441.JPG

DSCN0440.JPG

DSCN0444.JPG

Last edited:
You have nothing to worry over. You got an A+ in conduct this year.

Yeah, that was the only disappointing part of the weekend for me. I had so much fun, I totally forgot to take pics. The only pic I did get was one of denise living up to the "gg" (good girl) in her name for the first time ever. We had an awesome time. Can't wait til the next event.

we would like to say a very special thank you to everyone involed with keeping us at this event.

I must say that you people are the best! I have not seen most of you since my incident in July and there were so many hugs and love expressed for my being able to be back with everyone. I am truly blessed to know all of you. We had a very busy and exciting weekend. Walter, Glen and I did 3 cavern dives on Thursday, JB, Twin Cave and Shangra Li. I went with the group to Morrisons on Friday and then stayed there when Monica(Moondog) showed up and we continued to dive there so I got in 3 dives there. A group of us then headed to St Andrews on Saturday and I was back to a single tank and wetsuit rather than sidemount. It felt so light! :D We did two dives there then went to the landing to board 3 canoes (there were 7 of us) and made it down the creek to have a fabulous dive at Cypress. I had forgotten how beautiful that place is.
The food was to die for as usual and I ate my share of it. I even set my clock for 6:30am Sat and Sun so I would not miss breakfast! :D
Johnny Mac the music, karaoke and dancing was too much fun! I am so glad you two made it back for us this year!
The weather, diving, food and fellowship was incredible and I truly am blessed to be able to return to diving so quickly with a clean bill of health from all the doctors that saw me.
Thanks everyone for such a special Vortoberfest!

I had the privilege of diving with a fine group of people on Friday @ Morrison. After Morrison wjefferis, jhayes75 and I stopped by and had some Awesome loaded fries and barb-q.

Then we where off to Cypress. Well jhayes75 and I had this idea of putting in at Cotton Landing cause it was closer to Cypress. It turned out to be a obstacle course of fallen trees. If someone would've had a video camera. They would have won some money. It took skill from the three of us to keep from flipping over.

It has been years since I have been to Cypress. It was just as beautiful as I remembered. Thanks to wjerreris and jhayes75 for a great day!

Morrison pic borrowed from Irishsquid.

Attachments

• DSCN0440.JPG
    DSCN0440.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I didn't find anything too tight between Cypress and Cotton, go upstream from Cotton if you want to get stuck :)

Sounds like it was a great Vortoberfest. Wish I could have been there! I did have a great time diving the Oriskany, though!! Hopefully, next year I'll be able to head over.

I had the privilege of diving with a fine group of people on Friday @ Morrison. After Morrison wjefferis, jhayes75 and I stopped by and had some Awesome loaded fries and barb-q.

Then we where off to Cypress. Well jhayes75 and I had this idea of putting in at Cotton Landing cause it was closer to Cypress. It turned out to be a obstacle course of fallen trees. If someone would've had a video camera. They would have won some money. It took skill from the three of us to keep from flipping over.

It has been years since I have been to Cypress. It was just as beautiful as I remembered. Thanks to wjerreris and jhayes75 for a great day!

Morrison pic borrowed from Irishsquid.
So that was you next to Carolyn! I couldn't remember your name, sorry bout that. I knew it began with an A. :D

So that was you next to Carolyn! I couldn't remember your name, sorry bout that. I knew it began with an A. :D

Wow, I just noticed in that pic that Carolyn is trying to one up ScubaSteve. He may have been less than proud to wipe a gnome's a$$, however; she appears more than happy to kiss it! :rofl3: :rofl3:
Just teasing ya SharkLady. :hugs:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom