Violence in Cancun

Are you worried about recent violence at Cozumel’s resort beaches?

• Greatly

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Moderately

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Mildly

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Not at all

Votes: 30 54.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmacro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After a long break from diving we (my better half and I) are looking to take our first grown-up vacation away from our kids. Cozumel came up as a potential destination… but the recent shooting incidents in Cancun give me pause.
What is the general feeling about visiting a dive resort in the region? (Edited to correct/clarify question)

I'm not aware of shootings in Cozumel. There have been a couple of shootings in Cancun - one at Hyatt Ziva.

Check the date

oops, double posted - sorry

I think this might be the recent report: Gunmen on jet skis open fire at Cancun resort as shootings in region surge

Although that article says the state department did issue a travel advisory that specifically mentioned avoiding pretty much all tourist destinations in MX, it appears to be a response to an incident in Cancun. Moreover, there's been a travel advisory for Mexico for one reason or another for years. At least since I started going in 2015.

It seems a US newspaper has exaggerated.

If you look at the actual travel advisory, it just has Quintana Roo listed as "Exercise increased caution" do to crime. That part seems like a no-brainer for traveling to any other country on earth to me.

My answer to the question of whether I am worried about recent violence in Cancun and/or Cozumel is that I have been worried for decades--not just recently--but it has never stopped me from visiting. Worried/concerned enough to not let my guard down and do something ill-advised, yes. So worried/concerned that I believe no precautions I can take will keep me safe from violent crime, no.

That was 12 years ago - doesn't mean it can't happen again, but ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom