Question Any cartel violence in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure that is what those innocent vacationers in Tulum and Cancun thought as they were laying on the beach soaking in the sun. The OP's question is a prudent and reasonable one these

Hard disagree. I am simply saying people don't realize how much "danger" they're in in their own backyard but fret over it when they come to a different country. Thanks for the input though.

Hard disagree. I am simply saying people don't realize how much "danger" they're in in their own backyard but fret over it when they come to a different country. Thanks for the input though.
How do you know what they realize? How presumptuous. If people want to ask their questions, there’s no need to say anything if you think they are “fretting” and just want to shame them. I lived on the island for 20 years and now live in a twin cities suburb where crime has skyrocketed over the past two years - and I work in the addiction field, so I am well versed on what’s going on out there. One of the many reasons I chose to leave the island was because of the cartel violence and daily crime in the residential areas of the island. It got to the point I didn’t feel comfortable going to the bank by myself or leaving my house after dark. My “input” has value whether you “hard disagree” or not.

I have lived here for a year and feel safe. we go out at night, and have had no issues. we do not have a high wall or fence around our entire property and we have had no problems with breaking in or any petty theft. there Is a definite police presence on the island, I think that’s a good thing. We are very happy with our decision to move from the states. In the US we lived north of NYC. We had bank robbers on the run hiding in our neighborhood,we found a local drug dealer lived down the street when his house was broken into and his family terrorized and the town next door was one of the leading murder per capita cities in the country. A few towns over lead the nation in public assistance with 88% of the residents on some sort of assistance. All this in a very desirable town! Certainly Christi lived in Cozumel longer than us. We had well over 60 years of living in the states. I find living here refreshing, we didn’t drink excessively or buy drugs in New York and we certainly don’t do that here. That definitely lowers our chance of finding trouble in Cozumel just as it would in the states. We do not live in fear, just like in New York we are careful with how we lead our life.

I've read some articles about cartel violence in Cancun which has worried my girlfriend. Does anyone know of any in Cozumel? Looking to travel back there this year and just want to put her at ease. Here's an article about the Cancun incident. Usually Cozumel is pretty safe because it is an island and criminals can't escape too quickly.

Recent beachside attacks reveal a new cartel turf war in some of Mexico's most popular tourist destinations

It’s just like asking if there’s violence in Dallas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom