Villablanca vs Coral Princess and others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bober99

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a hotel. Right now, Villablanca "superior" room and regular rooms at the Coral Princess, Sol Cabanas Del Caribe, Hotel Casa Del Mar, Casa Mexicana regular room are the same price.

I'm trying to decide which is better. I've heard Villablanca was kind of crappy but that's probably just their "regular" room? Anyone stay in a combo of these places and care to comment? Thanks!

bober99:
I'm trying to decide on a hotel. Right now, Villablanca "superior" room and regular rooms at the Coral Princess, Sol Cabanas Del Caribe, Hotel Casa Del Mar, Casa Mexicana regular room are the same price.

I'm trying to decide which is better. I've heard Villablanca was kind of crappy but that's probably just their "regular" room? Anyone stay in a combo of these places and care to comment? Thanks!

Since you are posting here, I assume you will be diving. Coral Princess and Cabanas are both north of town, and connecting with dive boats from those hotels can be problematic.

Gordon in Austin

We stayed at Casa Mexicana in May and loved it. Very clean, nice buffet breakfast, quick walk to the dock to catch our dive boat, lots of restaurant choices within walking distance. However, the Casa Mexicana isn't on a beach, and it has a very small pool. Depends on what's important to you.

What is really important to you? Location? Price? Quality of room? I prefer the north side, Coral Princess has a DiveOp so you can leave right from the front yard, it is close to town (a short cab ride) and is a really nice hotel. Rooms and facilities are well appointed and clean. The staff is friendly.
I like the Sol Cabanas because of the beach, but it is further north and you would go to your dive op instead of them coming to you.
I am going to the VillaBlanca today to visit a friend. I will give you a report. This property is south and Dive Paradise is across the street.
So I ask, what is it that is really important to you? Feel free to e-mail me cozumelkelly@hotmail.com if you have any questions.

Hi Connie,
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely leaning toward casa mexicana at the moment. Which dive op did you use and where did they pick you up? I hear there are no pick ups at the cruise ship pier so where did you go? Thanks.

Scubagal:
We stayed at Casa Mexicana in May and loved it. Very clean, nice buffet breakfast, quick walk to the dock to catch our dive boat, lots of restaurant choices within walking distance. However, the Casa Mexicana isn't on a beach, and it has a very small pool. Depends on what's important to you.

bober99:
Hi Connie,
Thanks for the info. I'm definitely leaning toward casa mexicana at the moment. Which dive op did you use and where did they pick you up? I hear there are no pick ups at the cruise ship pier so where did you go? Thanks.

We dove with Deep Blue, they picked us up from the Aldora pier, which was about a 3-4 block walk from the hotel. I wrote a trip report with pictures if you're interested:
Casa Mexicana and Deep Blue Trip Report

Let me know if you have additional questions.

We are low maintenance folks, usually on a budget.

We have stayed at Villablanca in superior rooms (avoid the standard rooms) twice.

Very basic accomodations, but clean. The staff is friendly. The grounds are nice and they have a small pool. Fridge, a tiny TV, and 5 gallon water jugs are the ammenities. Cabs run about $3.50 into town; it's a two mile walk. Nancy runs the small restaurant by the pool; she is great company.

To be honest, VB is just okay. However, Papa Hogs is right next door; IMHO they are the best dive op for intermediate divers. Fast six-packs, group divers by skill, they ask were you want to dive and let you dive your computer.

In short, the VB/PH combo works for us.

bober99:

http://scubaboard.com/t61573-.html

Above is a link to my last trip report... I spent some time looking into some of the moderately priced hotels and tried to compare them. Of course this is just my opinion of them.

Never made it to Casa Mexicana due to it being downtown with no beach or water access anywhere near. Water's right across but you wouldn't catch me swimming right there.

We also didn't go to any of the Northern hotels like Coral Princess mainly 'cause i like to stay somewhat closer to the reefs.

For my money, I'll take Caribe Blu (or The Presidente if I'm splurging)

Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom