Viking Bayonet Dry Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Stuart, I still have his contact info. I will try Michel.

I understand that on the Viking bayonet system the glove side twists into the suit side, as per the pdf on their site. Not quite the same as the SI system which is push in, then thread out.

edit: it made no sense!
The Viking rings twist to lock, and twist to unlock. The SI Tech rings push on and pull off. SI Tech added a screw down piece to ease removal, which applies pressure until it pops right off.

The DC gloves I had (COCVI branded) you had to push them on and pull them off...major pain in the tush.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

So is the issue the glove mounting to the glove ring? Or the sealing surface of the o-ring?

BTW what is a marigold glove? Are they the thinner orange ones?

My marigold gloves are thick and black with orange inside.

With the classic rings, there are no o rings. Just pull over the glove.

Marigold gloves are a thick black and white janitor type glove. I have been stretching them over SI cuffs and they don't seem to be doing it for me. End up with wet hands after every dive. The leak is not on the cuff or anything, hence why im looking at some sort of glove-cuff mating system.

Someone has suggested I need to get an air tube through the seal to equalize and that will make all the difference, I will have to try that before I spend any more money on such things.

Marigold makes thousands of different gloves. I think you've got the wrong gloves or the wrong rings. The Viking classic rings work great with pull over gloves.

I have used both Marigolds and SI Tech on gloves on my SI Tech cuffs. I NEVER had a leak with the SI Tech gloves, easy to don and doff. The marigolds are pretty good but I have had a few leaks but not enough to worry about. I used an o-ring lubricant with my SI Tech gloves so they went on easy and came off nicely, with out lubricating them the o-ring will sometimes pinch and then it will leak, the marigolds have a bit more dexterity so I switched to them. I had the same SI Tech gloves for over 1 year, marigolds I replace every 10 dives or so, but they are cheap.

That said, Dustin had a heck of a time getting his vikings off the other day (needed pliers) so perhaps he can comment on that aspect of them.

That was only the second time that happened in over 50 dives. The first time was on my first dive with the system when I made the mistake of over-tightening them. This time I'm hoping they just need to be cleaned out. Guess I'll find out next time.

Underwater Ogre: I can see the classic rings on their site, I'm having a tough time finding any sort of installation instructions to see how the system works. Do you happen to have a link that would show me how it all goes together?

Seriously I don't think you need instruction for the classic system. The slotted ring (hard ring) goes on the inside of the seal and the retainer (soft ring) goes on the outside.
Out of the 30 or so commercial divers I know...who do at least 3 dives a day almost everyday, there are no complaints and they don't seem to chose anything else.

When your working...or having fun...KISS method works best.

I use a pair of 2mm neoprene gloves under the gloves in the link below, very nice when a sea lion bites through your glove. :D
Comasec - gloves chemical protection : specialized : glove g17k (formerly 173) ce complex design

A lot of us use them white side out....very good for hand signals in poor vis.

Good luck,
O

I have the Si-Tech screw off system. Initially I hated the screw off portion I found it very difficult to put on or take off. For some time I used Marigolds stretched over the cuffs. I found that much easier and the thinner Marigolds make for much better dexterity. Unfortunately I was puncturing the gloves every few dives.

One day I was forced back to the screw offs and smurf gloves due to a lack of leak free Marigolds and Mike Barass watched me struggle with them and suggested using o-ring lube instead of wax to lubricate them. That one change made all the difference in the world, and I have 0 hassle using the screw offs now.

My final change was gloves, I tried ~8 different types of gloves and settled on the green cleaning gloves that Lee Valley sells. I use them with the screw off rings. Now I have dexterity like the Marigolds, but the gloves are MUCH tougher. I have not yet punctured my green gloves. I still keep a pair of Marigolds as back up just in case.

SiTech screw gloves with marigolds and not a single leak. Check that the o-ring isn't pinched (easy, just look at them before you dive). Use a single 'slide' of zipper wax on the inside of the cuff at the edge, which lasts about 4 dives and makes donning SUPER easy and doffing SUPER easy.

The rings are a bit small, but as Dale said, a small ring of duct tape did the trick for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom