Venice Beach Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thursday midday, red tide seems "on" again. Beginning Wednesday, signs of the blooms have been spiking and fresh (though not extensive) kills are evident. Despite the photograph, water was a muddy to reddish brown. The air was irritating.

Sarasota paper is reporting bad things nearby.

IMGP3882.jpg

How do you guys think it will be this weekend, Sunday specifically? I will be down in Ft. Myers visiting the fiancee's parents and I was thinking about heading up there to do a dive or two while she goes to some bridal expo.

aquaholic901:
How do you guys think it will be this weekend, Sunday specifically? I will be down in Ft. Myers visiting the fiancee's parents and I was thinking about heading up there to do a dive or two while she goes to some bridal expo.

Sunday and Monday winds are predicted ESE to E. That's a good sign. But Saturday's calling for NW, which could be a bad sign given the bloom's been reported as worse to the N in the last couple days. Check back Saturday afternoon if you are thinking about Sunday. Think good thoughts. :(

Any report how the conditions turned out to be? I had to work all weekend up in Sarasota near the Ringling causway and it was really bad there.

Went out with FL West today.
Didn't notice the red tide, no one on the boat was showing signs of it, no coughing or complaints.
There was a noticable discoloration to the water, top down to 5'-8'.
The vis on the bottom was 10'-15', temp 87
We were in close, Golden Beach area, only 22'.
Found a dozen megs, but nothing that will be going in the display case.

You will also want to have a skin to cover-up, there was a lot of jelly fish. Was wearing a shorty and got nailed a few times.

Dove Alhambra this morning starting at 9:10. Conditions were absolutely beautiful. No sign of red tide. Vis was an honest to goodness nearly 20 ft. Dive time was 106 min. Found more teeth than on any other single dive at VB. Haven't counted them yet, but I will later and post a pic. I wonder if I get an early enough start in the morning, I could beat the weather?

Dove Alhambra again this morning. Arrived to a rotten egg smell and was thinking "here we go again", then realized the condo had the sprinklers on. Vis was almost as good as it was yesterday, I'd say in the 12 to 15 ft. range.
IMG_4112.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom