Venice Beach Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D If anyone is going tonight after work ~5:30pm , I will be at Sharkeys Pier. It appears high tide will be around 5:00pm and that will give us about 2 hours of light as sunset at 7:20. I dove their last sunday and had to go about 50 yards past end of pier. The slime column in the water appears to be pieces of dead soft coral and various other decaying matter. I did however see hundreds of tiny (1/4") juvenile fish and some of the pillar corals looked pretty healthy, hopefully the soft corals will come back in the next 6 months . I will post conditions after I dive tonight. Thanks

diversolo:
Well, I ended up not being able to make it. Gotta keep the customers happy. I think I'm going out this morning for a quick dive, tho.

So how did you and Scott do? What were the conditions like? Which site did you do? Find a lot of teeth?

Had a great dive. Scott and I did a two tank day. Each lasted about an hour and 15 min. Seas were calm and vis was around 10 feet. We went to Alhambra. Scott didn't really look for teeth I think he was just happy to be in warm water instead of that cold Boston tea :14: I on the other hand pulled in about 30 small teeth and 2 nice megs. The first meg was only about an inch long but the second one came in at a nice 3 inches and is in excellent shape. All in all a great dive that I will be doing again as soon as I can:D

I'm headed to Alhambra on Sunday

I might try to head out there again this weekend. I have to check with the boss. I also have to see about work I might have to do that. What do you guys do with all these teeth? Do you sell them to people or make things out of them. I now have a bunch of teeth just laying around. I have no idea what to do with them. I did send Guppy Boy an email about the meg tooth but I don't know what to do with the others.

I'm making lamps out of my small ones, and mounting my megs in a shadowbox.

I don't sell my teeth. My kids usually ask for teeth when I come back, and my daughter always asks for my nicest tooth. When I picked up my 5" tooth, I thought about her. Or more precisely what I was going to tell her. "Sweetie, if you ever need a kidney, liver, or even half a brain, I'm there. But this is my tooth!"

git-r-dun diver:
I might try to head out there again this weekend. I have to check with the boss. I also have to see about work I might have to do that. What do you guys do with all these teeth? Do you sell them to people or make things out of them. I now have a bunch of teeth just laying around. I have no idea what to do with them. I did send Guppy Boy an email about the meg tooth but I don't know what to do with the others.
  • They are better than money with some of the local kids and bartering their work for easy tasks.
  • Halloween is around the corner. Go to the craft shop and get 200 small plastic bead bags and place 2-4 in each bag. The kids will go nuts over them.... it's better than candy.
  • WalMart carries all you need to make leather slip necklaces (again for the neighborhood kids... or, they have been sold on ebay)
  • My nephew (7yrs) asks for them as presents for birthdays and other occasions.
  • I gave him my best Meg when he went through surgery. He was very proud of it, and wouldn't set it down
  • If you have the supplies ready you can make a necklace pretty quickly. Some of the SB parties are a great place to let people pick out their own tooth and sit down with them to make their own necklace.
Any time there is a chance to have something different that will help bring back a memory of an event is a great place to have them ready. Even if they just toss it into a jewelry case... one day they open the case and BANG! Memories return.

Good ideas. I think I might have to try a couple of those. I'm not giving away my megs though. I was nice this morning and let my daughter take one to school but that's it. I'm not that nice of a guy to give those away.

git-r-dun diver:
Good ideas. I think I might have to try a couple of those. I'm not giving away my megs though. I was nice this morning and let my daughter take one to school but that's it. I'm not that nice of a guy to give those away.
The Meg give-away was a VERY special issue. Other than that time, all my megs are safe... :eyebrow:

CoolTech:
  • They are better than money with some of the local kids and bartering their work for easy tasks.
  • Halloween is around the corner. Go to the craft shop and get 200 small plastic bead bags and place 2-4 in each bag. The kids will go nuts over them.... it's better than candy.
  • WalMart carries all you need to make leather slip necklaces (again for the neighborhood kids... or, they have been sold on ebay)
  • My nephew (7yrs) asks for them as presents for birthdays and other occasions.
  • I gave him my best Meg when he went through surgery. He was very proud of it, and wouldn't set it down
  • If you have the supplies ready you can make a necklace pretty quickly. Some of the SB parties are a great place to let people pick out their own tooth and sit down with them to make their own necklace.
Any time there is a chance to have something different that will help bring back a memory of an event is a great place to have them ready. Even if they just toss it into a jewelry case... one day they open the case and BANG! Memories return.

That is a very good idea! All of them are! I knew I liked you for a reason!

Not diving this weekend gang, the weather is perfect to do a LOT of work around the house thats been 'swamped' out the last few weeks! :)

CBulla:
That is a very good idea! All of them are! I knew I liked you for a reason!

Not diving this weekend gang, the weather is perfect to do a LOT of work around the house thats been 'swamped' out the last few weeks! :)
Oh, I also cul the small or broken ones and place them in their own jar. Every time I get to VB for a dive, I seed the beach for tooth searchers to find them.

I've seen some kids who were so excited to find a tooth big enough to see (even if it was smaller than those we find under water, it is bigger than they find on shore)

This works out great. I get to keep the hand picked larger and nicer teeth... and, I feel good about getting the others into hands that will appreciate the "thrill" of the find. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom