Valve Drill: Easier in Doubles than in a Single?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether reaching and manipulating your valves in a set of doubles is more or less difficult than in a single tank. I am able to reach my valves in a single without (too) much difficulty and was wondering if there was any substantive difference in a doubles rig.

Thanks in advance and safe diving,
Matty

King Kong Matt:
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether reaching and manipulating your valves in a set of doubles is more or less difficult than in a single tank. I am able to reach my valves in a single without (too) much difficulty and was wondering if there was any substantive difference in a doubles rig.

Thanks in advance and safe diving,
Matty
I find it easier to reach my valves in doubles, but the drill takes more time because there are more tasks involved. So reaching in doubles is easier, but the drill isn't.

Actually (and I still consider myself new at valve drills), I do still have a bit of a stretch to reach my isolator.

Rick Inman:
I find it easier to reach my valves in doubles, but the drill takes more time because there are more tasks involved. So reaching in doubles is easier, but the drill isn't.

Actually (and I still consider myself new at valve drills), I do still have a bit of a stretch to reach my isolator.

Good point. My question really isn't about the valve drill per se. It is more about the simple ability to reach and manipulate the valves.

Thanks for the response. What about other folks? Care to chime in?

I also find it easier with doubles, the way the valves on the post are located, to the outside make it easier and the manifold isolator is higher in the centre than a single tank, so you don't have to stretch as much.

For me valve access is much easier in doubles.

When mounting a single tank to a back plate the tank sits on the center channel, spaced away from the divers back. Deeply bent plates and or the use of a STA will increase this distance. Many single tank valves also angle the valve slightly away from the diver.

When you mount doubles on a backplate the tanks contact the plate just about down the outside edge of the plate. This is also where the plate contacts the diver. This means in doubles the tanks are spaced away from the diver by the thickness of the backplate, ~1/8".

In addition most doubles configured regulators also provide easier access to the valve, the knobs not "hidden" behind a forest of hoses.

The Isolator is much closer than the valve on a single, so close in fact you'll be bumping your head on it.

One tip, on the post valves; I can't really grasp the valve from the "end" and turn my wrist, I grasp it from the "side" and roll it between my fingers and thumb. Keep your elbow tucked into your side, slide it up along your ear.

Exposure protection often interfers with reaching your valves, both undergarments and Drysuits.

Good Luck,

Tobin

Rick Inman:

Same for me except to get to the isolator I find it easier to put my fist on the back of my head and then just lift my head until the hand hits the isolator. Makes it easier to reach and keeps your head up.

JeffG:
Same for me except to get to the isolator I find it easier to put my fist on the back of my head and then just left my head until the hand hits the isolator. Makes it easier to reach and keeps your head up.

Good tip, I'll try that tomorrow.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Good tip, I'll try that tomorrow.

Tobin
Yeah, me too. Today. :D

Doubles are considerably easier for me. With a single, I usually use my left hand to push up on the bottom of the tank. This makes it easier to reach the valve. There is seldom a dive where I don't do a valve drill.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

There's seldom a dive when I don't try . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom