DIR- Generic Removing kit (BP/W) underwater - risk/reward & weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I frequently practice this skill when shallow or pool diving, it's made me very comfortable in my gear

Some party tricks are worth learning if you want to join this party of technical divers.

Attachments

• Bali.jpg
    Bali.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 70
The CDAA (cave divers association of Australia - not a DIR organisation but with several GUE members, including me) Advanced Cave course requires removing cylinders and passing them ahead of you through a restriction, then re-kitting on the other side. While keeping in control of buoyancy (i.e don’t hit the floor or pop up on either side of the restriction), but it doesn’t have to be pretty (and rarely is). Pretty much everyone does this in a drysuit. Most(?) of us in backmount twin 12.2 steels (HP100s with an AS rather than DOT stamp) and a DIR config. Some people do it with backmount rebreathers (hard), several sidemount OC (makes this “skill” trivial). Some people use a weightbelt for this dive (kinda cheating but not against standards). Yes it can be hard. On my course we did it after ascending up a slope, so dumping gas from the suit prior to the restriction was a must. Yes it can be hard.
The purpose is for when a cave collapse occurs while you’re in the cave, and no-mount is your only way out. Is it likely? Probably not. But there was a cave that collapsed in Australia (Pannikin plains) in the 80s trapping divers on the dry part of the cave. Could it have occurred in the wet part? Maybe.

There is a fictional example why you might need underwater gear removal skills going viral in China last year: in a movie there is a scene where a female was lured to a submerged cage and her boyfriend closed the cage door behind her, and being unable to remove her backmount gear (which is jacket BC in the scene btw) and squeeze through the spacing between iron bars she died in a cinematic desperation. This has been used by many rec-level instructors on Chinese social media to tell their students how important the "kit removal" skill is.

After this example went viral I even heard at least two separate people (one of which is an active non-DIR instructor) stating that the selling of DIR/Horgarthian gears to rec-level divers is dangerous - and one argument they used was that you could not easily remove and replace your rig underwater, especially if you also used long hose and a short hose with necklace. Other reasons included the lack of buckles on shoulder strap which made it hard for people to remove rigs from an unconscious diver (funnily, the reason why DIR/Horgarthian gears do not have these buckles is also safety).

But nonetheless I do not think this example has a lot of real-world implications as in order to make it happen, you have to have a buddy with a very malicious intent towards you, stick your head to a very confined space with such buddy on your tail, and finally, be too lazy to try even once removing your rig underwater (in a very confined environment which reduces the difficulty) even knowing the consequence is your death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom