Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
I think Jeff is actually just a pen-name for a GUE instructor

Nah, he's GI3s hick northern cousin :D

I'll stop picking on Jeff since I'm already bummed he's not in the DIR forum anymore.

Hard question, assuming a compentent diver, i.e. someone who is at the level of DIR-F in terms of skills then it will be the tec divers that get the most benefit out of DIR diving. (Taking that DIR-F is not DIR, but a set of fundamental skills you need to get in the DIR door)

If something goes wrong on a rec dive and I am this hypothetical competent diver I can self rescue - pretty much that is the definition of a rec dive. DIR philosophy really isn't going to make much of a difference in most cases. Planning, deco, communication, etc. don't really come into play in a significant way in the vast majority of rec dives. Most can be successfully completed using the simple plan - lets go diving, come back when we get low on air.

Something goes wrong on a tec dive and all of the things that are DIR start to become much more important to your survival. The more extreme the environment the more benefit. Survival being the ultimate benefit.

Now back to the real world.

Most divers have nowhere near the level of DIR-F competence. Getting to that level of competance whether through DIR-F or any other similar training re skills is going to help the rec diver more than the tec diver who really should have this base level of skill before getting into wrecks, caves, doing deco dives etc. But as a number of people have pointed out that is not really DIR - as I understand it, DIR is more than this base level of skills.

just my 2 cents

JeffG:
I hate to say it (well...maybe not :wink: ) that part is the smallest part of dir.

Maybe so, but I am glad that I started out with a Hogarthian rig to begin with. Had I not stumbled onto some of the DIR sites when I was starting, I probably would have ended up buying the AquaLung BCD that my LDS was pushing.

rjack321:
Nah, he's GI3s hick northern cousin :D

I'll stop picking on Jeff since I'm already bummed he's not in the DIR forum anymore.
hick? HICK?

There's just no respect anymore.

Swan1172:
Maybe so, but I am glad that I started out with a Hogarthian rig to begin with. Had I not stumbled onto some of the DIR sites when I was starting, I probably would have ended up buying the AquaLung BCD that my LDS was pushing.
I wish I started that way. Then I wouldn't of a closet full of junk. :wink:

TSandM:
For which group is an approach involving standardized equipment, gases, skills and protocols going to offer the greatest increase in either comfort or safety?

I think it best fits a group that is diving low vis, overhead, silty, tight quarters type of conditions; cave and wreck penetration.

Having said that, there are a lot of advantages to the DIR approach for beginners. Teaching the how to achieve good bouyancy and control in the water column would do wonders for many reefs. Here's another good one. I truly feel that the backup reg on a bungee around your neck should be a standard...period. That's the safest place to have it especially when the sheet hits the fan.

Story:
I was in a advanced training class some time ago. I was "dressed" very different than everyone else. The instructor wanted to see everyone demonstrate some of their self recovery skills. Obvioulsy, one skill was to switch regulators. I watched the other students go through some convoluted process of turning themselves upside to get their "safe second" in the "proper position" so they could breathe from it. I watched in awe as all of them performed this. The only thing I could think of is how in the world they would be able to do this process in the event that they REALLY needed to breathe from something...fast. Then, it was my turn. I took out my primary reg and simply replaced it with my backup that was right below my chin. It took all of an uneventful two seconds. They all looked at me with that lightbulb-over-their-head look.

Although I like a lot of the methodology from DIR, I probably will never be 100% DIR due to my chosen path. I also don't appreciate the mentality that some true DIR divers have towards other non-DIR divers. Having said that, I plan to attend a DIRf class in the near future because I believe there is yet more that I can learn from the DIR approach. I strive to be the best I can. That comes from as much experience as you can get.

Disclaimer: I'm not DIR. There are a couple of things that I would be kicked out of the club for. :D

Darnold9999:
Most divers have nowhere near the level of DIR-F competence. Getting to that level of competance whether through DIR-F or any other similar training re skills is going to help the rec diver more than the tec diver who really should have this base level of skill before getting into wrecks, caves, doing deco dives etc. But as a number of people have pointed out that is not really DIR - as I understand it, DIR is more than this base level of skills.
Scary, but true. DIR (well not DIR but GUE) is very useful in today’s diving world. It’s too bad that it is, since its very existence is an indicator of the poor quality of diving instruction in the general community. DIR as a concept only exists because the training agencies did so a poor job of everything except pandering to the manufacturers and shop owners and GUE, in it corporate form, exists because there are a number of divers out there who, despite the agency propaganda, have been able to discern that there is something more to diving than they were being offered.

The “we’re so good attitude” that is given off by (frankly most) Fundies passers is a reflection of the poor state of agency sanctioned diver training. It exists in comparison to what the average new diver is, not what that diver could or should be. Fundies is really no big deal, I feel, that with the exception of spool use and marker deployment, every research diver I’ve ever trained would pass Fundies with no preparation whatever, but with 100+ hours of instruction with about 22 pool sessions and 14 open water dives then damn well better be able to or we’d have been wasting their time.

There are things that GUE predicates its program on that I beg to differ with, there are items that GUE includes in their curriculum that I find passing strange and there are items that I think are absolutely essential for a diver to have mastery of that GUE completely ignores, but that’s what makes a horse race, at least GUE has found its way to correct race track, and that’s no mean feat since no other agency has even come close.

On another topic: I think that some time spent on what is technical diving is in order. I was one of many who played a part in the coining of the term. It must be realized that even amongst the plankholders there was not agreement, so be prepared for other to express their view(s) which is(are) every bit as legitimate as mine.

The concept of “technical diving” came from the idea of “technical climbing.” It was hoped that something like the Yosemite Decimal System would, in time, be developed for diving. The most common ground was in the expression of, “if you do that you’re gonna’ die,” as in if you climb that high and fall off the cliff you’re dead meat or if you dive with a real or virtual ceiling and have to get to the surface “Right Now” to survive … well … you’ve got a problem.

So the basic idea is that technical diving starts whenever your survival depends upon the use of a piece of equipment rather than your water skills. To my way of thinking this makes the nubie puttering about at 60 feet with no bailout system a “technical diver without a clue.”

There are things that GUE predicates its program on that I beg to differ with, there are items that GUE includes in their curriculum that I find passing strange and there are items that I think are absolutely essential for a diver to have mastery of that GUE completely ignores,

I would like to see that list.

WesTexDiver:
While I do not totally agree with the DIRty system, whats the standard regulator for the standardized DIRty system again? Anywho, I won't rant, I will simply answer the question and say that the system would be more benificial to Technical divers for an infinate number or reasons.
There is no standard reg. You're trying to make it into something it isn't. As has been stated many times throughout this thread, the equipment is a very small piece of the puzzle.

I'm a recreational diver.

My wife and I are both diving Hogarthian and pretty much DIR. It's simple and it does go a long way to keeping you trim and no nonsense.

Both of our instructors are DIR and Hogarthian so we've been learning it this way since our advanced class. It was more expensive but only because we didn't learn it from the beginning and ended up swapping out almost all of our gear.

It was well worth it. I think everyone we've dove with would agree our diving has gotten better by making the switch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom