Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darnold9999:
Hard question, assuming a compentent diver, i.e. someone who is at the level of DIR-F in terms of skills then it will be the tec divers that get the most benefit out of DIR diving. (Taking that DIR-F is not DIR, but a set of fundamental skills you need to get in the DIR door)

If something goes wrong on a rec dive and I am this hypothetical competent diver I can self rescue - pretty much that is the definition of a rec dive. DIR philosophy really isn't going to make much of a difference in most cases. Planning, deco, communication, etc. don't really come into play in a significant way in the vast majority of rec dives. Most can be successfully completed using the simple plan - lets go diving, come back when we get low on air.

Something goes wrong on a tec dive and all of the things that are DIR start to become much more important to your survival. The more extreme the environment the more benefit. Survival being the ultimate benefit.

Now back to the real world.

Most divers have nowhere near the level of DIR-F competence. Getting to that level of competance whether through DIR-F or any other similar training re skills is going to help the rec diver more than the tec diver who really should have this base level of skill before getting into wrecks, caves, doing deco dives etc. But as a number of people have pointed out that is not really DIR - as I understand it, DIR is more than this base level of skills.

just my 2 cents

I think we have the winner! Well put.

Why does TSandM insist on pushing DIR which is a cave diving system? Only on scubaboard which is a DIR board anyways do you even hear of DIR, in the real world it is a rare thing. If the approach has value to you then by all means use it but I think I regret the day I ever heard of it. You don't need all that c---p and any justification for it beyond some types of very techinical diving is just that a justification for a non optimal rig. The simple solution is usually the best solution. N

Nemrod:
Why does TSandM insist on pushing DIR which is a cave diving system? Only on scubaboard which is a DIR board anyways do you even hear of DIR, in the real world it is a rare thing. If the approach has value to you then by all means use it but I think I regret the day I ever heard of it. You don't need all that c---p and any justification for it beyond some types of very techinical diving is just that a justification for a non optimal rig. The simple solution is usually the best solution. N

As far as justification, how about personal preference? If every other diver in the world is entitled to personal preference, why not the DIR guys?

Nemrod:
Without making this sound anti DIR. I agree. I think some people find something that enlightens them, and feel that everyone should share in this enlightenment as well. While others find no use for it. I'm with you, and find no use for it.

Nemrod:

I didn't get the understanding from the original post that TSandM was pushing DIR.

You're right though. DIR divers are rare. I tend to think the majority of DIR divers are swimming around in caves. That's most likely the reason the majority of divers don't run into one. If memory serves me correctly, I don't think I have run into anyone that is a DIR diver while out diving whether on a boat, shore, river, or lake.

What do you consider c--p?

TSandM:
First off, if you don't think there is any, please don't post here!

So I think it's an interesting question: For which group is an approach involving standardized equipment, gases, skills and protocols going to offer the greatest increase in either comfort or safety?

When panic sets in experience takes over.

PacketSniffer:
I tend to think the majority of DIR divers are swimming around in caves. That's most likely the reason the majority of divers don't run into one. If memory serves me correctly, I don't think I have run into anyone that is a DIR diver while out diving whether on a boat, shore, river, or lake.

I know of pretty active communities up and down the west coast. There's the guys in NE and there are the guys in Florida. And then there are the closet DIR guys. Besides, how would you know a DIR diver when you saw one anyway?

It's not unlikely that DIR divers are rare considering the total amount of divers that dive.

PacketSniffer:
What do you consider c--p?

I think he's one of these guys that dive old school style - double hose regulator, no BCD and solo. Everything beyond that.. well, you know....

Nemrod:

Please pass the :popcorn:

I didn't think I was pushing DIR. I was just pondering whether the system had more value to recreational or technical divers. I started out requesting answers from people who felt the system had some value to somebody.

I have no idea if people who are more or less DIR are rare. They aren't where I dive.

TSandM:
I have no idea if people who are more or less DIR are rare. They aren't where I dive.

Those who think they are "Doing it right" are very rare indeed. Most divers are just diving and seeking to improve their skills. Every dive is a learning experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom