Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson:
may I add that a lot of them are non- DIR PPDers...
I'm not saying that all of the SB'ers I meet down here are DIR, but I am saying that those who are either DIR or DIR wannabees - are generally SB members.

With all due respect for those who make their own choices.

I may as well add my 2 cents.

First, TSandM has WAY too much time on her hands today it looks like. She's supposed to be taking care of patients not causing trouble on SB!

Second, I'm still trying to figure out what IS (and "who is") "DIR" -- a "holistic system" of diving -- a philosophy of diving -- a structured set of rules on diving -- what? (And yes, this IS a rhetorical question.)

Third, I really think TSandM's post is a continuation of a discussion we've been having for, oh, the last 12 months about "the value of DIR." She doesn't like my responses so, like any good person, continues to ask the question until she gets the answer she wants.

On to the question:

Can't answer the question until someone defines for me a "recreational" diver. IF, as I understand it to be, the PADI "Active" diver is someone who does 10 - 15 dives A YEAR, then it is my opinion the "DIR Program" would, in fact, be detrimental to that diver. THAT diver is, and will be, a "trust me" diver and should never go diving without the companionship (oversight?) of a DM or the like. PLEASE, let that diver have an air integrated computer to tell him how much air time he has left -- let that diver use the computer to tell him NOT to go too deep AND when he'd better start up. Do NOT let that diver try to plan the dive the "DIR Way" because, quite honestly, he won't be facile enough with the information/data to come up with the proper plan or be able to follow the plan.

Not to mention THAT diver will get horrendous cramps in his feet and legs if he actually tries to use Jets to do a frog kick instead of using his splits to "gracefully" flutter along. Can lights, light signals and hose routing? Fuggedaboutit.

So, IF the PADI "Active Diver" IS the "Recreational Diver" that is comtemplated by us all, please, don't confuse them with the facts and knowledge of the "holistic DIR philosophy."

OTOH, if you are talking about a truly active recreational diver, one that will be in the water a several times a month at least and who is willing to take the time to practice skills and such, then in my ever and always humble opinion, the "holistic DIR philosophy" (including the Hog rig) will have a lot to offer the diver. Improving one's "team" (buddy or partner) skills can't be negative, can it? Likewise assisting a diver in becoming more "situationally aware" can't have a downside, could it? And, helping a diver become a more aware diver -- aware of gas management, tides/currents, effects on the immediate environs (get those damn fins OFF the bottom) shouldn't have anything but positive upsides. BUT all of these are things that need to be practiced on a regular basis.

So, TSandM, I'm giving you the same answer to this question I gave the other day -- IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR DEFINITION OF A RECREATIONAL DIVER!!!

clgsamson:
may I add that a lot of them are non- DIR PPDers...

And with more and more people adoptingthe DIR/Hog equipment profile it'll be harder and harder to pick out the DIR crowd...

Just like River Rats example a lot of people asume they know what DIR is... That's another reason why you get the "Take the class...." answer... It's a lot of things to a lot of people and it's hard to explain the embedded concepts sometimes..

I think that standardization is good... but I also believe in personal freedoms. So I wouldn't force a BP&W and long hose on anyone... If a newbie wants to dive I'll show them how I dive and if he likes what he sees I'll help him get started.

Peter Guy:
So, TSandM, I'm giving you the same answer to this question I gave the other day -- IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR DEFINITION OF A RECREATIONAL DIVER!!!

Spoken like a lawyer . . . :D

Thalassamania:
I feel that every diver should be able, whilst underwater, in black mask, wearing three finger mitts, to tie a one-handed bowline, coming and going, with the left hand and then the right hand. While we're on knots, under the same circumstaces every diver should be able to join two lines of dissimilar diameter with a becket (sheet bend) and a twist, tie a clove hitch and tie an anchor bend.

Are you serious??? :rofl3:

mdb--quote

"Those who think they are "Doing it right" are very rare indeed. Most divers are just diving and seeking to improve their skills. Every dive is a learning experience."

Well, then the name itself is unfortuante because if one is right then the other must be wrong. I have nothing intrinsicly against DIR or any aspect of it. DIR means Doing it Right or Do it Right and everybody else is a stroke--it says sp on the GUE website.

The "c---p" would be the huge doubles, can lgihts, militaristic team/mission stuff, hoses wrapped all over the places, scissors and butterknifes arguments, D ring in only this place and specific belt buckles in another and inane goings on over small things----fine in the DIR forum but when it spills over into general forum why cannot those who don't see the all intlelligent divine purpose of gurus or behind the DIR approach dissagree--with those who push it like a used car salesman who knows there is sawdust in the transmission and that your not going to figure it out? It is holistic---hmmm--OK--so is my approach, integrated and holistic and complete.
N

Oh, this recreational vs professional vs technical vs sport is tiring. Your all recreational divers unless your being paid to dive or your in the military. Your all recreational divers. N

PacketSniffer:
Are you serious??? :rofl3:
Completely. But keep in mind, our primary purpose for diving is, perhaps a dash more task oriented that yours is. Are you up to it?
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Hmm...I could do the sheet bend but I'm not sure about the one-handed bowline. Bowline--yes. One-handed? No.
And to be honest, I don't USE mitts...

Nemrod:
Oh, this recreational vs professional vs technical vs sport is tiring. Your all recreational divers unless your being paid to dive or your in the military. Your all recreational divers. N

LOL... You and Walter would make a good team. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom