Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
I have no idea if people who are more or less DIR are rare. They aren't where I dive.

I've only seen a few of them and they all chartered the boat together.....

Originally Posted by RiverRat
In a perfect world everyone would be DIR (or at least a better system, along the same lines) and it would probably reduce the accident rate...(snip)

Why??

howarde:

Let me re-phrase....In a perfect world all divers would be practicing the same system.
I don't know about you, but after I was diving awhile I noticed a lot of hack divers out there. I don't care what you practice, DIR, HOG, whatever. We just need to churn out better divers period. I'm not saying I was anything special when I started out. I'm talking about stupid stuff like divers heading out without even knowing how their computers work. Or having enough knowledge to get through a dive without it if they had to. Or not diving 10 pounds overweighted all the time. Common sense stuff.

RiverRat:
In a perfect world all divers would be practicing the same system ... I noticed a lot of hack divers out there ... We just need to churn out better divers period.
As far as training better divers, absolutely, there are clearly commonalities that need to be improved.

As far as practicing the same system, no. Different tasks call for different systems. Most divers tend to specialize in their task perference and thus should gravitate to the system that best supports their kind of diving.

howarde:
Without making this sound anti DIR. I agree. I think some people find something that enlightens them, and feel that everyone should share in this enlightenment as well. While others find no use for it. I'm with you, and find no use for it.

You might be surprised to discover that you like a BP/W for dry diving. I have found that trim is better using a BP/W when I have to carry a lot of weight. For 3mm diving, I doubt I will notice much difference. Of course a BP/W does not a DIR diver make, but I am now diving a BP/W for dry diving.

Quote River Rant:

"Let me re-phrase....In a perfect world all divers would be practicing the same system."

I hate to ruin your perfect world but it ain't gonna happen and you can count on me to be the spoiler even if the rest of you get taken over by the Body Snatchers and start making that strange and errie screech.

Quote by Peter Guy:

"So, TSandM, I'm giving you the same answer to this question I gave the other day -- IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOUR DEFINITION OF A RECREATIONAL DIVER!!!"

Can you define the meaning of "is?" Well, I can.
N

RiverRat:
Why??

Let me re-phrase....In a perfect world all divers would be practicing the same system.
I don't know about you, but after I was diving awhile I noticed a lot of hack divers out there. I don't care what you practice, DIR, HOG, whatever. We just need to churn out better divers period. I'm not saying I was anything special when I started out. I'm talking about stupid stuff like divers heading out without even knowing how their computers work. Or having enough knowledge to get through a dive without it if they had to. Or not diving 10 pounds overweighted all the time. Common sense stuff.

Well it would be better if Drivers did not Drive like total idiots as well!

While a LOT of people PADI bash, the OW book covers most everything you just sited as things NOT to do. They cover proper weighting, buoyancy, equipment knowledge, and planning a dive using tables to calculate BT, and NDL.

The fact that the majority of divers are not proficient is likely two fold. First dive agencies and instructors are not drilling this information into the new diver, or even testing them in a way to make sure they have read the material. Let's face it, a 75% is a joke on a test where most people who take it seriously, and come prepared miss one question.

The second problem is people, and their attitude towards diving. Most just want to BE certified. They are not interested in becoming good divers, they are interested in going diving on vacation a couple times a year. Most divers I see that have horrible buoyancy, kick the crap out of the bottom or coral, and suck down an AL80 in 30 minutes on a 30ft reef don't even realize they suck, and they also don't seem to care. :shakehead

I'm talking about stupid stuff like divers heading out without even knowing how their computers work.

you know, when I snow ski, every couple of years, I have a blast...and I have no idea what I am doing. I relearn it every time I go... I am probably more likely to get killed too....why is that not acceptable? Now, when I go on the blue diamond slope, and cry and beg crawling on my stomach, down the mountain...that's different. (but I have)

There are different levels in everything. If you feel you have to be great to participate, then your world is going to get pretty small.

water ski...look out.

I don't think we should be too richeous about diving..

A BP/W is better with a big camera, no doubt about it.

I spend half my rides these days trying to figure out how to not get hit by a car, and to unclip when I get back to MY car. We are all in different places along the way...different degrees of doing it correctly, or not. In cycling. I think they call me a "Fred".

DIR has a lot to offer, nobody is forcing it on anyone.

I hope I'm not sounding too richeous. I just think some things are kind of important that's all. Heck I'll dive with just about anyone. When it comes down to it I just want to have a good time like anyone else. I think that if you have acceptable skills you'll get more out of diving and have more fun. I think that statement is even in the PADI book :)

catherine96821:
A BP/W is better with a big camera, no doubt about it.

Now you sound like one of "them". lol But we're going to have to give you a special label. How about DIP? :D

Doing It Photog

I'll settle for that.

Even stroke is getting a nice ring to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom