Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Hmm...I could do the sheet bend but I'm not sure about the one-handed bowline. Bowline--yes. One-handed? No.
And to be honest, I don't USE mitts...
Line comes down from the boat and you need to secure it about your waist for recovery. The sea are running the line is jerking so one hand is occupied to get you a bit of slack. Its actually rather easy to tie a one handed bowline even with gloves on. We have one rigging lecture and ask our students to practice outside of class. We give them lots of rigging projects in pool sessions and open water. Quite a few students really get into it.

Nemrod:
DIR means Doing it Right or Do it Right and everybody else is a stroke--it says sp on the GUE website.

Can you provide a link to where it says that? Seriously.

Nemrod:
The "c---p" would be the huge doubles, can lgihts, militaristic team/mission stuff, hoses wrapped all over the places, scissors and butterknifes arguments,

What's wrong with huge doubles? Don't you want to have enough gas to safely do the dive? And what's wrong with a cannister light? Don't you like to see when it's dark? What's wrong with having a mission? There's an objective to every dive whether it's capturing pictures of pretty pink fishies or cruising through the decks of the Thistlegorm.

Nemrod:
D ring in only this place and specific belt buckles in another and inane goings on over small things

Yeh, I agree with ya there.

Those knot tying skills sound like they'd be great fun to learn!

SparticleBrane:
Hmm...I could do the sheet bend but I'm not sure about the one-handed bowline. Bowline--yes. One-handed? No.
And to be honest, I don't USE mitts...

Once you learn how to do it (and it only takes a minute), a bowline one-handed is easier to tie then using both hands. Wouldn't matter if you had mitts or not, you can do it in boxing gloves. Not sure if they still teach it, but I learned in Boy Scouts many moons ago. I got turned on to a great knot site a while back, I'll see if I can find and post it.

I'm bookmarking that one, thanks.

Not being DIR-F (or any DIR at all yet) all I can attest to is that any training that improves buoyancy skills, improves gas management, and provides a standard gear setup that makes sense has my vote.

I have just purchased a SS backplate (replacing my aluminum one) have the long hose and bungeed backup and now am the proud owner of multiple sets of AL80 doubles. I intend to practice the valve drills and work on the various kicks and buoyancy...if that makes me DIR...so be it!

Mike

Nemrod:
Oh, this recreational vs professional vs technical vs sport is tiring. Your all recreational divers unless your being paid to dive or your in the military. Your all recreational divers. N

Agreed. DIR or not if you are not being paid, you are recreating.

TSandM:
I didn't think I was pushing DIR. I was just pondering whether the system had more value to recreational or technical divers. I started out requesting answers from people who felt the system had some value to somebody.

I have no idea if people who are more or less DIR are rare. They aren't where I dive.

DIR divers are rare. I never saw a BP/W setup until I was in FL, and a guy was diving doubles. He was not DIR rather a PADI DM. I have been diving with a DIR crowd of late at the Blue Hole in NM, so once you find one, you often find a gaggle! :D

The DIR system has no value to the majority of recreational divers as they don't even know what it is. This is not to say that I feel that a DIR configuration and some of the philosophy has no value.

I personally like a BP/W setup for one reason, and that is because if one is diving dry, it offers a much improved way to distribute a lot of weight. This results in better trim.

I like the long hose because IF one does have to share air, it is a much more comfortable setup. However I think for a lot of recreational divers, they are not that great with air in the first place, may tangle the hose, or drag it, and it would be pointless if not a negative.

I'm a rec diver, so there are two things I like about the DIR configuration. I also like having a small simple SPG, and have discovered that the backup reg necklace is a very nice way to secure the backup.

I basically just setup my BP/W using a DIR configuration, so obviously I do find value in that configuration. However I'm not DIR, I continue to dive with BioFins :11:, and I use my computer to monitor NDL.

I think that most recreational divers are not interested in webbing BP's, wearing weight belts, having a BC that has no adjustments, and in a weight release system that is actually LESS Safe IMO than what I have on my Zeagle Stiletto.

Last Spring in the death of two divers off of Boynton Beach, one diver attempted to dump the weightbelt of the diver in distress. It unfortunately tangled, and likely contributed in their deaths. While those divers made a number of mistakes, a system like the rip cord would have been superior to a weight belt, and may have saved their lives.

It's an interesting discussion, however maybe a pointless one as a lot of people including Dive professionals are not even aware of DIR. Also the idea that there is ONE right way of doing most anything is offensive to many, and has fanatical undertones.

I may take DIR-F because I think there are some things to be learned. I would dive my BP/W setup and keep my head down, and my mouth shut! :D But my goal would NOT be to become pure DIR, but to learn what I could. It's also a good reason to train, and gives me something to do when I dive the Hole for the XXX time! :D

catherine96821:
The main thing I see is the comittment to your team.

If that brings something to the table for you...you should do it.

If you cannot comit for whatever reason, then you don't buy in.

For me that would be my biggest obstacle: diving in a team. It is hard enough for me to get my gear into one organized pile, let alone coordinate with 2 or 3 other people who are on the same "mission" for each dive..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom