Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacketSniffer:
Now you sound like one of "them". lol But we're going to have to give you a special label. How about DIP? :D
Doing It Photog

LOL I remember when I first got my Oly C5050 and took a shot while doing a "headstand" (not touching anything, just inverted to get a shot).
I swore it was the new BP and Oxycheq wing.

catherine96821:
you know, when I snow ski, every couple of years, I have a blast...and I have no idea what I am doing. I relearn it every time I go... I am probably more likely to get killed too....why is that not acceptable?

Because skiiing is for dweebs. Rule #1 is "if you weren't born cool, at least try to look cool." All the cool daddies snowboard, sweetie :)

DIR training likely has something to offer for everyone. However, the biggest value is probably realized by two groups of divers at distinctly opposite ends of the spectrum.

a.) Newer divers with deficiencies in training and/or experience. If they can learn nothing more than basic buoyancy control and buddy awareness, then that's probably a huge win in itself. Most DIR trained divers that I've dove with have these skills down pretty well, or are working toward them.

b.) Experienced divers seeking to do more advanced dive profiles that would expose them to overhead environments, depths beyond recommended recreational limits, and/or decompression diving. These type of dives are less tolerant to error. DIR offers a nicely bundled package based on a system with a proven safety record.​

For the majority the remaining diving population, it probably depends on the individual. Some would get more out of it than others.

I´d have to say the greatest benefit would be for recdivers...

I have yet to dive with someone with a techcert that doesen´t dive well...
For my own diving education I have purposely chosen instructors on near-opposite ends of the "standardization spectrum" (gear-wise) for my wreck/cave classes so that I would be exposed to different ways of doing things and while one would happily take you diving in a stab-jacket (if you could mount doubles on it) and the other wouldn´t, they were both GREAT divers with good attitude with the same focus on the essentials of team-unity, skills, attitude and planning. So are all the techcerted divers I´ve been in the water with (maybe I´ve just been lucky?).

The same definitely can´t be said for all (or even most?) of the recdivers I´ve seen...silting and bad bouyancy control really annoy me (I´m not perfect but I try to be)...

ymmv

riguerin:
Because skiiing is for dweebs. Rule #1 is "if you weren't born cool, at least try to look cool." All the cool daddies snowboard, sweetie :)

Ohh let's not even go there! Those that can't ski, snowboard! :D

RonFrank:
Ohh let's not even go there! Those that can't ski, snowboard! :D

If you're not going down the hill with a minimalistic configuration that includes a single snow riding device, you're not doing it right .... you're definitely not having as much fun :wink:

I have dived with tech certified divers who were awful.

I think every agency and most instructors believe and teach that good buoyancy control is important, and that good buddy skills are desirable. I know from my personal experience that not all instructors pay any attention to those ideas, either in the classes they teach or in their own diving. GUE is different in that regard. What is mouthed is demonstrated, and the out-of-class dives I've done with DIR instructors have included meticulous attention to pre-dive planning, pre-dive equipment checking, underwater communication and situational awareness, and a post-dive debrief with dispassionate honesty. Whether you dive a BP/W or not isn't the important thing. Whether you plan well, execute the dive you've planned competently, and spend some thoughtful time reflecting on the dive and how you could make it a more thoroughly delightful experience for all participants next time -- That's what's important.

limeyx:
right you are, eh?
Like, eh,
there t'aint no hicks in Canada?
eh?
Did bring a smile to my face.

Thalassamania:
I dohn't have the energy or inclination at the moment to write the entire thesis. So let's start with something every diver should be able to do that is not part of the GUE curriculum.

I feel that every diver should be able, whilst underwater, in black mask, wearing three finger mitts, to tie a one-handed bowline, coming and going, with the left hand and then the right hand. While we're on knots, under the same circumstaces every diver should be able to join two lines of dissimilar diameter with a becket (sheet bend) and a twist, tie a clove hitch and tie an anchor bend.
Whatever

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom