Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought their technique sucked. Granted this is just my opinion.
Also, I'm NOT paying $50 for a 27-minute diving video on DVD where the first 7 and a half minutes aren't diving.

edit: I don't care that they're "not DIR" one bit, I don't see why people suddenly have to jump on that. I DO think it's pathetic that several of them were standing on the wreck to take pictures. Minimizing impact on the environment you're diving in should be a shared goal of all divers.

TSandM
although the question was intriguing, I take offense with your back handed view of mid-atlantic wreck diving. Was that meant as humor?
I am sure that You and your DIR team members take the same view of solo divers.
I feel that this is a blatant troll that you are using as a way of promoting anti-DIR bashing in open forum. It is like reverse discrimination, we with oposing views have to tippy toe around you or risk being accused of being DIR bashers, yet you can open up this?
Mid-Atlantic diving without trying to sound to melodramatic is done the way it is based on survival of the individual. The individual is solely responsible for their actions, including: life,death,gas management,rescue,deco obligation.
Open water diving here means open water, typically 10 or more miles off shore, dives to depths starting at 80fsw, in poor vis, with current, current changes, and penetration.
We should all try and practice tollerance of others, not generate posts at the expense of others, and their systems.
Eric

:popcorn:

waterpirate:
TSandM
although the question was intriguing, I take offense with your back handed view of mid-atlantic wreck diving. Was that meant as humor?
I am sure that You and your DIR team members take the same view of solo divers.
I feel that this is a blatant troll that you are using as a way of promoting anti-DIR bashing in open forum. It is like reverse discrimination, we with oposing views have to tippy toe around you or risk being accused of being DIR bashers, yet you can open up this?
Mid-Atlantic diving without trying to sound to melodramatic is done the way it is based on survival of the individual. The individual is solely responsible for their actions, including: life,death,gas management,rescue,deco obligation.
Open water diving here means open water, typically 10 or more miles off shore, dives to depths starting at 80fsw, in poor vis, with current, current changes, and penetration.
We should all try and practice tollerance of others, not generate posts at the expense of others, and their systems.
Eric

LOL.. You know, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

What could have been a good thread has of course turned into crap. You people are way to sensitive when someone doesn't conform to your style of diving.

If you're diving DIR and you like it. Great. If you're not diving DIR and you don't have think it's necessary for you. Great.

Why does it always come down to people pointing fingers at one another with the intent of puffing up your chest to prove how much better a diver you are than others.

It's about the diving, not about the gear, not about the toys, not about the technique. Really it's all about getting wet and seeing some really cool stuff while doing it.

dlndavid:
I knew I was deficient when you passed off Moonie to me, quit rubbing it in and give me a break, I was a noobie DS diver.:wink:

You're lucky you had a good buddy like JeffG to save your :mooner:

runamonk:
It's about the diving, not about the gear, not about the toys, not about the technique. Really it's all about getting wet and seeing some really cool stuff while doing it.
I would disagree. To me a lot of it is about technique, because I can't stand to see people bumping and kicking reefs and harming marine life.
Don't get me wrong, diving should be fun. I think most people diving would have more fun if they had a bit of buoyancy control and trim--that way they wouldn't stand on wrecks or stand on a reef.

runamonk:

Hopefully you do not feel offended if some of us don't conform to your idea of what diving should or should not be about.

You totally missed the whole point of what I said. When you decided you wanted to take up diving, did you take it up so you could spend 1000's of dollars on gear and classes or did you do it so you could get in the water and see some stuff you would never get to see otherwise?

Don't just pick apart what I typed, use your brain for a minute and think about it.

Yes there is technique and seeing someone scraping along the bottom tearing everything up aggrivates me as well but you didn't get into diving just so you could come onto a board someday and point out all the flaws of other people.

Adobo:
Hopefully you do not feel offended if some of us don't conform to your idea of what diving should or should not be about.

I don't get offended by what someone I don't know writes on a board about me or my ideas. It's the internet and arguing on it is totally pointless because when the person or people you're trying to pigeon hole into your ideas closes their browser the argument is over and they still go back to thinking and doing exactly what they were doing before.

What's the point of a 20 page thread about "DIR" when all of it is totally subjective. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom