Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
The question is: If you think there's value to a standardized approach, is it greater for recreational or technical divers?

I've only skimmed through all the posts but here's my thoughts...

Numbers aside (as between the numbers of rec vs. tech divers), safety across all manner of diving types and environments is paramount. One can increase dive safety by AWARENESS of your ownself, your physical, mental and emotional health, as well as to the dive environment around you which includes those you dive with. AWARENESS of your gear, how it works and signs to look for that may compromise dive safety - be it your own gear or those you dive with. Moreover, AWARENESS of your skill level and then being determined to improve it whether it be fin technique, breathing, mental preperation, etc. AWARENESS comes with proper exposure through a good dive instructor or dive mentor. We need critique to grow and break out of bad habits - be it diving or any professional discipline we practice.

After awareness, hopefully UNDERSTANDING will follow. Understanding in terms of where one presently is in their dive attitude. For those that seek to be better, to be more in control, relaxed, etc true understanding of where one is in relation to beginner/intermediate/experienced is a powerful driver to move to the next level. But true understanding requires looking at the picture in honesty and humility.

Following understanding, comes demonstration.

I think these measures can cross over to any sport or knowledge area.

any diver that is moving into an environment or situation that they are not comfortable with or confident about.

he, he...is there an echo in here?

When I am scared, I LOVE buddies with doubles.

Lamont, this is just an offhand observation I made.

That's not to say that I had experience.
I think DIR is a great thing, but the thing that I have noticed in real life dives, is that there are DIR divers out there that you THINK are good divers because they LOOK like good divers. So...it is easy to get in over my head with them. They appear to have it so together, and then something happens, and you realize they don't think outside of their box yet. In my experience, the training has this downside. They think they are so prepared, they are so BUSY with all their tasks, and meanwhile **** is happening and they seem a little too focused on the tasks.

But...it is a minor point, just something I have noticed about maybe 6 of the 8 I have dived with. And, in all fairness, they were very new DIR divers and just looked better than they really are, due to the perfection of the basic skills.

I dive with onfloat some...and I am NOT talking about him, for sure. He knows how to think.

I have, learned a lot from them, in general. I love to extract what I can from divers.

catherine96821:
I think DIR is a great thing, but the thing that I have noticed in real life dives, is that there are DIR divers out there that you THINK are good divers because they LOOK like good divers. So...it is easy to get in over my head with them. They appear to have it so together, and then something happens, and you realize they can't think outside the box.
I call them Strokes with nice gear.

Nemrod:
This DIR thing is like a cult, some people are easily influenced and suseptible to such things and some are not. Good thing that outside of scubaboard this DIR hardly exists. The few I have seen were not very good divers.

N:popcorn:

LOL you love picking fights.:popcorn:

runamonk:
LOL you love picking fights.:popcorn:

He didn't start the fight he just turned up the heat.

I may be wrong but there are so many posts about DIR - worth while, not worth while, good, bad or indifferent and about BP/W's - worse, same as, good, better, best and my favorite - "who cares," that I often think the Original Poster's intent is in question.

TSandM - I'm NOT saying it was "your" sole intent to create a heated debate.

Don Janni:
He didn't start the fight he just turned up the heat.

I may be wrong but there are so many posts about DIR - worth while, not worth while, good, bad or indifferent and about BP/W's - worse, same as, good, better, best and my favorite - "who cares," that I often think the Original Poster's intent is in question.

TSandM - I'm NOT saying it was "your" sole intent to create a heated debate.

Her posts seem to do that though.

howarde:
Her posts seem to do that though.

Unless it's a specific question in the DIR forum, like, "how long a bungee do you use for.....etc etc.....", most all threads that have DIR in the title end up in semi heated arguments and finger pointing. It's not just Lynne's. But I think she should get a % of GUE course sales. :D

TSandM:
First off, if you don't think there is any, please don't post here!

A lot of the time, I see people posting something about DIR and saying, "But I'm just a recreational diver, and these things don't apply to the diving I do." The implication is that DIR is only of significant value to the technical diver.

It got me to thinking, though. For which type of diver DOES the system offer the most value?

In the world of recreational diving, you have the most variation in gear and configurations, the most variable buddy behavior and communication techniques and skills, and great variability in skills. But the dives generally aren't high risk.

In the technical world, equipment is likely to be more similar, although there are still outliers. You're more likely to see a team ethic (except in New Jersey wreck divers, as I understand it :) ) and at least in caves, you're going to see a high standard of skills. But those are also the environments where the importance of rapid response to an emergency is so much higher.

So I think it's an interesting question: For which group is an approach involving standardized equipment, gases, skills and protocols going to offer the greatest increase in either comfort or safety?

I skimmed most of the post and didn't see this so I'll mention it now.

DIR is advertised as a holistic approach to diving. The quesiton is how can it be applied to rec divers and at what levels does it hold value? Lets break down parts of the 'whole' system and see who can use it most effectively.

1) Gear - for pure rec divers, not much is gained from pure standardization. Lot can be learned from streamling and reasoning behind placement/configuration, even if its not adopted. Should be taught at OW class level. If your rabid Anti-DIR, substitute HOG for DIR and you arrive at the same place.

2) Dive Skills - These are the different kicks, the precision accents/decents and horizontal trim. While exposure at the OW level is good, until new divers get some expierence and control over thier basic dive skills/anxiety etc, this will be of marginal value. My opinion is introduce it at the OW level and develop it at the AOW level. (Then that cert might have some real value). Again, for the rabid anti-DIR attitude, this really isn't DIR specific, its just good form that technical divers use.

Standard gases, computer vs timer, deco stuff etc need not be taught at the OW level or really for most rec divers. They simply aren't that important to safely complete an NDL dive.

3) Team Skills - This is taking buddy diving to team diving. While the DIR specific methods are not necessarly the only methods, they are one set and my opinion is that at least one set should be taught at the OW level. (from my PADI expierence, I'd argue that nothing if formally taught now by standards) This is basically where you can teach buddy positionioning, Gas planning, emergency procedures in a way to at least get divers thinking about it. It should be covered in ALL rec level classes, be it first time or reveiw. Again, the DIR approach isn't unique and adaptations from any of the 'tec' agencies would work.

In the end, to get the 'whole' of DIR, you are looking at the AOW level or similar expierenced diver

Thalassamania:
I dohn't have the energy or inclination at the moment to write the entire thesis. So let's start with something every diver should be able to do that is not part of the GUE curriculum.

I feel that every diver should be able, whilst underwater, in black mask, wearing three finger mitts, to tie a one-handed bowline, coming and going, with the left hand and then the right hand. While we're on knots, under the same circumstaces every diver should be able to join two lines of dissimilar diameter with a becket (sheet bend) and a twist, tie a clove hitch and tie an anchor bend.
If you have the energy, can you explain why every diver should be able do this? And would the training time devoted to parlor tricks be better spent on basic air calcs and kicks? Please pay paticular attention to why EVERY diver needs to have these skills. For instance, a warm water diver does not need to wear 3 fingered mitts.
Serious replies only, please.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom