Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don Janni:
He didn't start the fight he just turned up the heat.

I may be wrong but there are so many posts about DIR - worth while, not worth while, good, bad or indifferent and about BP/W's - worse, same as, good, better, best and my favorite - "who cares," that I often think the Original Poster's intent is in question.

TSandM - I'm NOT saying it was "your" sole intent to create a heated debate.

It's all a matter of opinion and people get really really serious about it. It's just not worth the argument.

I dig some of the ideas behind DIR and Hogarthian but I don't think there's any reason to start using terms like "strokes" or anything else like that. It's just ignorant and stupid when people have to resort to name calling to make themselves seem more important or to appease their overinflated egos.

Nemrod:
This DIR thing is like a cult, some people are easily influenced and suseptible to such things and some are not. Good thing that outside of scubaboard this DIR hardly exists. The few I have seen were not very good divers.

N:popcorn:

Hmm, that is interesting, because with ONE exception (he had some training, but fewer dives than I had at the time) the DIR folk I've dove with were likely some of the best divers I've seen. They can execute kicks that I can not (because the WORK at it) their buoyancy was flawless (this when using doubles, harder), their kits were tidy, nothing dangling, nothing dragging, they do NOT hit the bottom, and they enjoy diving and divers.

I'm not DIR/ But the DIR folk I know are helpful (some are instructors with other agencies), are fun to dive with, are VERY good divers, and are people I enjoy. Actually I'm not sure all of them ARE DIR, but they all dive that config, as do I now dry with a few notable exceptions! :mooner: So far to a man/woman, they also are not so hung up on being DIR that they refuse to dive with non-DIR trained divers.

While I find the whole "BLACK" thing a bit anal along with some of the more IMO silly equipment requirements, I can appreciate DIR divers, and have no prejudice against their decision to take that PATH. We all want to be better divers, and IMO who cares how that happens.:eyebrow:

RonFrank:
Hmm, that is interesting, because with ONE exception (he had some training, but fewer dives than I had at the time) the DIR folk I've dove with were likely some of the best divers I've seen. They can execute kicks that I can not (because the WORK at it) their buoyancy was flawless (this when using doubles, harder), their kits were tidy, nothing dangling, nothing dragging, they do NOT hit the bottom, and they enjoy diving and divers.

I'm not DIR/ But the DIR folk I know are helpful (some are instructors with other agencies), are fun to dive with, are VERY good divers, and are people I enjoy. Actually I'm not sure all of them ARE DIR, but they all dive that config, as do I now dry with a few notable exceptions! So far to a man/woman, they also are not so hung up on being DIR that they refuse to dive with non-DIR trained divers.

While I find the whole "BLACK" thing a bit anal along with some of the more IMO silly equipment requirements, I can appreciate DIR divers, and have no prejudice against their decision to take that PATH. We all want to be better divers, and IMO who cares how that happens.:eyebrow:

Ron - I also have dived with many DIR (GUE trained) divers, and even though I am a stroke, they still dive with me. I think what it comes down to is that some people who are repetitively vocal about their love for DIR-ness and training feel that it is something that everyone can benefit from. The probelm is that not everyone Wants to benefit from the training, or has a need to.

It's not always that the vocal minority is the voice of the whole bunch. While some people may be blinded by the kool-aid, others just take training for what it is... something personal and for them. There is nothing wrong with DIR in general, or any other agency - really... everyone is for the advancement of SCUBA. Some people take things very seriously, and others take recreation as just that... recreation and fun.

RonFrank:
While I find the whole "BLACK" thing a bit anal
The "BLACK" thing has nothing to do with DIR. Its a fiction that gets propagated by other that do not know or understand DIR.

howarde:
and even though I am a stroke, they still dive with me.
Real strokes. ie the ones that are out and out dangerous are actually pretty hard to find.

I dig some of the ideas behind DIR and Hogarthian but I don't think there's any reason to start using terms like "strokes" or anything else like that. It's just ignorant and stupid when people have to resort to name calling to make themselves seem more important or to appease their overinflated egos.

The only time I hear this word is here on Scubaboard.... It's most often quoted by untrained/uneducated divers on both sides of the fence.

RonFrank:

Gear is selected for functionality. The Black gear thing is because that's what most gear comes in.... when was the last time you saw Jets in any other color (yes they did make them at one time) but with DSS, Oxycheq and some other makes coming out with more options we should see a little more color (get well Kimber).

Ben_ca:
The only time I hear this word is here on Scubaboard.... It's most often quoted by untrained/uneducated divers on both sides of the fence.
I use it a lot when describing my screw ups.

howarde:
and even though I am a stroke, they still dive with me.

Who said you were? Try to refrain from the S word.... it is inflamatory at times

Jeff is right on target...

Ben_ca:

That's cus your dive buddies wait until you are out of earshot before talking about you.:rofl3:

Adobo:
That's cus your dive buddies wait until you are out of earshot before talking about you.:rofl3:
oooooo...that one gotta sting.

Back
Top Bottom