Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost it on this Invasion of the DIR Body Snatchers thread but someone asked me why I would not want enough "gas" to be safe. Hmmmmm, how much is enough, do you really need double 100s in 60 feet of water? My answer--actually no. I did not grow up in this "airbag" world. I prefer danger, taking it to the limit and then marveling in retrospect that I am still alive to tell of it. Y'all keep all that safety stuff to yourself, I love danger. If safety was the number one requirment of the human race we would never have climbed down out of the trees.

I love it when they start going on about philosophy as if they were ancient Greeks and the holistic thing is even better.

Besides, safety is way over rated, live dangerous and die free. N

SparticleBrane:
The only rebreather that is DIR is the RB80. To dive one of those, you're going to be quite extensively trained. I believe GUE now requires DIRF, Tech 1 and Tech 2 before they'll let you take their rebreather class...?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I personally don't know of any deaths on the RB80.
I don't believe any on the RB80. There have been some on its clones though. The only other RB that doesn't have a death associated with it is the KISS.

cowboyneal:
I think you're all nuts, personally. DIR or not DIR, its all personal choice stuff in my humble opinion. Again, IMHO, no one 'system' or set of rules is better than another: it's the diver that matters, and how they develop their peak diving skills is up to them within their personal choice of all the systems out there. I've dove (dived? diven?) with plenty of good and bad divers DIR and not DIR CN

cowboyneal: Best response so far. As you say " it's the diver that matters"

Nemrod:
I lost it on this Invasion of the DIR Body Snatchers thread but someone asked me why I would not want enough "gas" to be safe. Hmmmmm, how much is enough, do you really need double 100s in 60 feet of water? My answer--actually no.
What does using double 100s in 60 feet of water have to do with DIR?

Puffer Fish:
The other issue, is that of real safety.. do divers, trained in DIR have a far better safety record? There are more than enough and they keep records of this sort of stuff.

Hint: If DIR divers were three times safer, they would be rubbing everyone's noses in it.

I don't know if these records exist or not. I'd guess not, becasue how do you qualify somebody as "DIR"? Just becasue they might have had GUE training does not automatically make them DIR.

Puffer Fish:
They are not.

Pretty strong statement to make in the absense of any proof.
If the records don't exist, and again I know of no repository of accidents that tracks if a injured party was a. GUE Trained, b. Current in his Training, c. Strickly following the GUE protocols. The fact that a DIR-f card qualifies the holder only to take additional GUE classes makes this type of tracking problematic. Some accident data bases will include whether or not the diver was diving beyond their level of training, but how do you determine that with a DIR-f cert?

Puffer Fish:
I doubt there is any recreational sport that has a higher death rate than rebreathers.

Agreed RB's kill at a rate that scares me.

Puffer Fish:
Why is that, when almost all the people that do it are highly trained, many DIR?

I might suggest you do your homework. With the exception of the RB80, which is a keyed demand SCR, the GUE position on RB is "too dangerous" Why? Exactly because of the accident rate.

It's clearly true that some GUE trained divers have moved to ECCR's. When they are using the RB's they are not following GUE guidelines. Should we include these folks, and God forbid any accidents they might suffer, as injuries / deaths of DIR divers? Of course not.

Puffer Fish:
I would suggest that one look at the details of actual results, and not the debate over which one sounds like the right way to do thing.
Although... calling people names is a lot of fun, also.

I've seen the results, first hand, close up and personal. Better divers with a high level of safety awareness.

Tobin

Nemrod:
I lost it on this Invasion of the DIR Body Snatchers thread but someone asked me why I would not want enough "gas" to be safe. Hmmmmm, how much is enough, do you really need double 100s in 60 feet of water? My answer--actually no. I did not grow up in this "airbag" world. I prefer danger, taking it to the limit and then marveling in retrospect that I am still alive to tell of it. Y'all keep all that safety stuff to yourself, I love danger. If safety was the number one requirment of the human race we would never have climbed down out of the trees.

I love it when they start going on about philosophy as if they were ancient Greeks and the holistic thing is even better.

Besides, safety is way over rated, live dangerous and die free. N

My hero!!!!

cowboyneal:
I'm still the best diver and instructor I know
...and he's humble too.
Ironically, this is the attitude most people seem to think DIR divers have.

JeffG:
I disagree, Either DIR can stand up on its own, or it can't. PLus I wouldn't be able to see the thread then :wink:

And yet the OP wrote: "First off, if you don't think there is any, please don't post here!"

That is what the DIR forum is for. You can post without anyone saying anything negative. I didn't realize the whole board was now that way.

ZzzKing:
That is what the DIR forum is for.
No the DIR forum is for DIR only answers. She is asking what the value of DIR across different styles of diving. There is no DIR answer to that. Only opinion.

^^ Did you by chance read the entire thread? It's fairly evident that you probably didn't. This issue has been addressed several times, even by Lynne herself.
TSandM:
And, okay, I amend the original caveat: If you don't think the DIR approach has any value to either, please state so in a civilized fashion and give cogent reasons why

Back
Top Bottom