Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal:
I think you're all nuts, personally.

You maybe right! Then again, we are ALL nuts? Well sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't! :D

cowboyneal:
I'm still the best diver and instructor I know (save for a few folks I consider my equals in every way), am not at all interested in DIR (or any other system other than the one I developed for myself and others over 30 years of diving)

Most cowboys feel the same way. Best.. hmm.. I'm really not clear what that means. But Tech divers who dive solo on deep wrecks, and sometimes end up dead seem to have your attitude. Most folks that I dive with at your experience level would never use that term about themselves. Just a personal observation.

cowboyneal:
So, to each their own...all the name calling and other nonsense is kind of childish and chickenish...winter must be setting in...SO TAKE A CARIBBEAN TRIP!!!! Ha!
CN

Well we can agree here.

From what limited experience with DIR I have (I might hurt some Ego's here) but, the DIR system looks like a good system of training/practice as does all "advanced training" regardless of agency.
I'm not sure why GUE doesn't certify OW divers, seems like the educational Rule of primacy would dictate that this would be the best time to mold an impressionable diver before they have to re-learn gear configs etc...

DIR does give plenty of disscussion material on Scubaboard....

1_T_Submariner:
DIR does give plenty of disscussion material on Scubaboard....

Good for at least 200 posts most of the time :popcorn:

caseybird:
If you have the energy, can you explain why every diver should be able do this? And would the training time devoted to parlor tricks be better spent on basic air calcs and kicks? Please pay paticular attention to why EVERY diver needs to have these skills. For instance, a warm water diver does not need to wear 3 fingered mitts.
Serious replies only, please.
If you have not got a good handle on a bunch of stuff including (but not limited to) gas management, kicks, and basic knots, in my mind you’re not a diver you’re still a trainee. Those are the basic knots that anyone going to sea, not just divers, should be able to tie. If you see basic knot tying as a parlor trick, as far as I’m concerned you have no business going out on anything but a princess cruise.

As far as the mitts are concerned, when you train it helps to train in a more difficult format, when you practice you should practice as you dive. For those of us who dive cold, those are one and the same.

1_T_Submariner:
I'm not sure why GUE doesn't certify OW divers, seems like the educational Rule of primacy would dictate that this would be the best time to mold an impressionable diver before they have to re-learn gear configs etc...
There is one on the books and a whole whack of new GUE recreational instructors have been trained. The jury will still be out on if people with do a scuba class for ~$800 (The Gue course will kinda be similar to OW + NITROX + AOW)

That's good info Jeff. I will be honest the $800 course would/will not sell as well as the $300'ish OW course. Take my example for instance, I paid for my wife, son and myself to get certified $900'ish through another agency if it where GUE at $800 is that would be $2400 (it wouldn't have happened). We would still be snorkeling. Wonder why they wouldn't break up the the 3 courses, most people don't realize the value of the other course until they have some experience or get hooked etc...

JeffG:
There is one on the books and a whole whack of new GUE recreational instructors have been trained. The jury will still be out on if people with do a scuba class for ~$800 (The Gue course will kinda be similar to OW + NITROX + AOW)

JeffG:

Jury's in: $195 + books for OW.

JeffG:
GUE will never take over the industry that way but I think that, even at $800, it would be a viable option for some students, I get more than that for privates but only do a few a year and I don't try and make a living that way. How many hours and how many dives? With the right mix there might be interest amongst some of the research diving programs.

Thalassamania:
GUE will never take over the industry that way but I think that, even at $800, it would be a viable option for some students. How many hours and how many dives? With the right mix there might be interest amongst some of the research diving programs.
Its in the forum that I can't see. But IIRC it was like 8 OW dives, double or triple the number of pool sessions (from typical PADI OW class)

The problem is not that its a waste of money, but that the people in the market for scuba lesson don't know what they don't know.

A tough sell when they go down the street and someone else says "Nah...you don't need all that. I can get you certified for a third of that and do it over the weekend"

well, you can do the cheaper course and take a cool trip, or you can do a DIR course and post here.

OR if you have a LOT of cash, you can do both.

Sometimes I wonder if disposable income might be part of the rub...it seems like a class war at times. It has to have a deeper root cause than just how to dive,
or there would never be this much interest. It's like watching a train wreck. You don't want to look, but you get sucked in.

Then the whole thing with GI is very sintillating....IT's a SOAP OPERA on Testosterone. Everybody loves a little drama and controversy...we sure all do.

okay...I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom