Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I think DIR has definite benefits.
I recall not too long ago diving out in San Salvador. Some of the best diving I've done so far. I was on the boat with a couple that owned their own shop. They made a comment to me like......"sooo you got many DIR divers out there where you're from"...... My comment was "I suppose....don't know too many". I got the feeling they assumed I was DIR because of my gear. I'm not sure if they were impressed or ribbing me a little. No big deal. I dive a "hog" rig setup close to a DIR recreational rig I guess. I'll admit to "stealing" DIR gear concepts. To be honest I would think it would be awesome to have a dive buddy totally on the same page as me that would like to travel when I do and do the same dives I like but it just aint happening for me right now. I'm a single diver plain and simple. I do what I have to do to get out and dive. Sometimes it's a little risky, let's face it. But that's the choice I make. I have to be ready to handle things on my own if it comes down to it. In a perfect world everyone would be DIR (or at least a better system, along the same lines) and it would probably reduce the accident rate, but it aint a perfect world.

Adobo:
Besides, how would you know a DIR diver when you saw one anyway?

Well, the hogarthian rig is a start. Then, it's a matter of looking for a swivel on any hose, plastic clips, no dive computer but just a bottom timer. Not many will be equipped like that and NOT be DIR.

Adobo:
I think he's one of these guys that dive old school style - double hose regulator, no BCD and solo. Everything beyond that.. well, you know....

Old school is fine. But, isn't he doing exactly what some of the DIR guys do; putting down people for the gear they use?

PacketSniffer:
Well, the hogarthian rig is a start. Then, it's a matter of looking for a swivel on any hose, plastic clips, no dive computer but just a bottom timer. not many will be equipped like that and NOT be DIR.

I guess I'm the oddman out then :D . I'm one of the few out there in the Tropics with BP/W, necklaced octo etc etc. And I'm not DIR.

RiverRat:
In a perfect world everyone would be DIR (or at least a better system, along the same lines) and it would probably reduce the accident rate...(snip)

Why??

RiverRat:
I guess I'm the oddman out then :D . I'm one of the few out there in the Tropics with BP/W, necklaced octo etc etc. And I'm not DIR.
There divers like this in the "tropics" but usually they are scubaboarders.

RiverRat:

You don't dive with a computer calculating decompression from an algorithm?

catherine96821:
I would like to see that list.
I dohn't have the energy or inclination at the moment to write the entire thesis. So let's start with something every diver should be able to do that is not part of the GUE curriculum.

I feel that every diver should be able, whilst underwater, in black mask, wearing three finger mitts, to tie a one-handed bowline, coming and going, with the left hand and then the right hand. While we're on knots, under the same circumstaces every diver should be able to join two lines of dissimilar diameter with a becket (sheet bend) and a twist, tie a clove hitch and tie an anchor bend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom