Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh:
Geez.. even Jeff is helping out.. that is crazy :D
I know. Next thing...cats will be living with dogs.

DIR is like running a marathon, some race the clock and others just want to finish. Like a marathon everybody gets something good from it. Occasionally you'll get a cramp.

seriously though, I like the fact they the DIR folks at least acknowledge that your physical condition matters.

makes me want to sip...

when I am scared, I like being with a "DIR" diver. Which says something. But when I am not scared, it's too much trouble.

I have had some "DIR" divers climb over me before though, which made me wonder if they understood why we had an order in the penetration in the first place. Sometimes they fall in love with the plan more than they should. All the prep, it's understandable. But I am aware to watch for that next time and not assume as much. Still, I learned from them...even though I think I have better judgement than a couple of them.

Jasonmh:
Geez.. even Jeff is helping out.. that is crazy :D
I believe that is one of the signs of the Apocalypse

Sea NMF
I fancy myself a reasonable DIR diver. I still dive with some folks using some bizarre gear, I'm not fanatical about fitness, and one key element-- I don't really want to be a scuba instructor.

When someone asks something specific, like they are having a hard time reaching their valves or their XYZ seems amiss I help them out. When someone wants someone to teach them all the kicks or how to do a gas switch - basically an "instructor" I steer them towards the class(es).

I'm not trying to avoid helping people, but I don't want "instructing" to be first fiddle in my own diving either.

JeffG:
I disagree, Either DIR can stand up on its own, or it can't. PLus I wouldn't be able to see the thread then :wink:

That's because you're just a dumb canadian stroke.

EDIT: For the humor-impaired, I'm only joking. I think Jeff is actually just a pen-name for a GUE instructor

JeffG:
DIR-f is not DIR.

DIR-f is a class that goes over fundamental skills and introduces some DIR concepts.

It is a good class, but the fact of taking it doesn't make them DIR.

Right, I think you have to get at least provisional to be "DIR" :)

One of the leading causes of death with recreational divers is heart attacks and incidents caused by out of shape divers.

While everyone focuses on the long hose and black getup, physical fitness is a DIR criteria. The DIR approach would weed out a large percentage of divers that are the most susceptible to dive injuries.

that's the thing. Put the risks in order of probablity. I live by that one.

then you give it the cost/ benefit test which in diving is really risk/ fun ratio.

If things are not in the right hierarchy, then it's silly.

While I do not totally agree with the DIRty system, whats the standard regulator for the standardized DIRty system again? Anywho, I won't rant, I will simply answer the question and say that the system would be more benificial to Technical divers for an infinate number or reasons.

Back
Top Bottom