Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
I hate to say it (well...maybe not :wink: ) that part is the smallest part of dir.

I find it best to cover the non equipment, non diving skills aspects of DIR over a fine cigar and Scotch after a feast of Prime Rib nicely marbled and butter smothered baked potato.....

cerich:
I find it best to cover the non equipment, non diving skills aspects of DIR over a fine cigar and Scotch after a feast of Prime Rib nicely marbled and butter smothered baked potato.....
Not a bad way to do it :D

..that's dangerous.

better take a buddy.

I prefer a short table, then in a OOS (OUT OF SCOTCH) drill I can reach the bottle without undue exertion.

Adobo:
Why do you say that? Because someone told you that ankle weights are not DIR?

The best thing you can do for yourself is to find out for yourself. Taking the class isn't like taking a hit of an addictive drug. You always have a chance to say "no, this ain't for me" after the fact. Then you can come back to the internet and roll your eyes at all the minutia of detail being argued with regards to what is DIR and what isn't.

OK - so I have a question. I haven't read the posts after this one yet so I don't know if it's been asked and answered.

If DIR-F is a class on fundementals that should have been taught in OW, why is it that (in my experience) those that have taken it are reluctant to pass along some of the good information, but instead encourage you to take the class?? Can't they show you the kicks? Can't they tell help you with the trim? I'm not necessarily talking about free instruction, but just divers helping divers.

It seems like a de-coder ring type of mind set to me, also. Although there have been some extremely helpful folks to me on certain aspects, but others are tight-lipped and say "take the class".

I think we should get lipid panels on all DIR candidates, and then just go from there.

sea nmf, anybody can buy the dvds. I bought them six years ago. cause I like George. He has the guts to be unpopular.

sea nmf:
If DIR-F is a class on fundementals that should have been taught in OW, why is it that (in my experience) those that have taken it are reluctant to pass along some of the good information, but instead encourage you to take the class?? Can't they show you the kicks? Can't they tell help you with the trim? I'm not necessarily talking about free instruction, but just divers helping divers.
Are you kidding me? All that stuff is all over the internet.

catherine96821:
sea nmf, anybody can buy the dvds. I bought them six years ago. cause I like George. He has the guts to be unpopular.
The GUE dvd sucks. DIR 3 is better.

Fifth-d has all the skills shown on a dvd.

But avi's of the kicks/skills are all over the net.

JeffG:
Are you kidding me? All that stuff is all over the internet.

It may be, but in my experience, when face to face with a DIR-F student, they tell me to take the class.

Also, yes, it is all over the internet but I find it helpful to get a critique from someone that is there.

I don't do any internet diving, yet.

sea nmf:
OK - so I have a question. I haven't read the posts after this one yet so I don't know if it's been asked and answered.

It seems like a de-coder ring type of mind set to me, also. Although there have been some extremely helpful folks to me on certain aspects, but others are tight-lipped and say "take the class".

You might be painting in broad strokes there (no pun) ...

I got introduced to the DIR thing thru a local diver who reached out to me and said, "hey, I dive in the area. If you got questions about anything..." Then he started spiking my vodka with kool aid. This guy is always reaching out to new divers. He doesn't push the DIR thing but he does the DIR thing in front of the new guy and answers whatever questions come up.

I myself hesitate to talk about what is and isn't DIR simply because I am new. I let the veterans do all the talking since the actually understand the whats and the whys of DIR. It's not unlikely that perhaps some of divers you have run into feel the same way as me. You know, "send them to someone who can answer the question correctly."

Back
Top Bottom